Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
did you mean audio or video?
i can't recommend one, but i can tell you to stear clear of the safety 1st video monitor. we've had two break down on us and the company told us it would be replaced w/in6-10 weeks. it's been 6 months and w're still waiting.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I have a fisher price and its really sensitive (I can hear him breathing), but its ruined by the central air - all I can hear is loud shooshing from the vents over it. But if it weren't for that, it would be great.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
We have the FP sound and lights one. It has two receivers that can be plugged in or bsttery operated. It's sometimes staticky, but works just fine for us. I like the lightup feature. It was inexpensive- 25 dollars...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
we also have the sound and lights and I have had no problems. we play white noise fairly loudly in ds's room and I can still hear him breathe over it without turning the monitor up very loud.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ok, I've gone thru a few monitors here, we're on our third, all different brands, none that I've really liked. However, I'd like to recoment that you check out the monitors at Radio Shack, (if you have one, are they all over?). I bought one there this summer so when the girls are playing on the deck I can hear them when I go in the house, as there is no window there. I really like it. It has two 'monitors', ie they are the same unit and both can transmit and recieve. You can set one to transmit only and the other can listen, or swich it around and listen the other way. Or leave the transmit option off and use it like a two way radio, by pushing the 'talk' button and the other will 'hear' you and when you are done talking and let go of the button, the other unit can press talk and you will hear them. It is really versatible and useful. Both units can be either pluged in or run on batteries even rechargable ones that it will recharge when plugged in. (dont have the recharge on for reg batteries tho, they could blow up) It costs about $70 or so and they had a three unit option too. Very cool and useful after the kids are bigger!!

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
I hate the static that regular monitors give off. We use intercoms that work like Jillie's monitors. My MIL used them in her 3 story house to track down her kids; I put one in the kitchen on receive and one on the nightstand on auto so it activates when one of the kiddos makes a noise. I wouldn't try to use it to hear a newborn breathing, but it works great for hearing when an older baby/toddler wakes up from her nap.

·
Registered
7,537 Posts
I have an angelcare moniter by Bebesounds it trakes resprate/movement and alarms if baby stops breathing but works like other moniters sound is good it has lights and sound like the fp one.

*niki*

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
We have the Fisher Price $50 one. I forget what the name of it is. Its not the sound and lights one, that one is too static-y. It has the one base and 2 receivers. Its called "dual monitor" something or other. It is so sensitive. I can hear him breathing and there is absolutely no static. The range is pretty impressive too. I took it w/ me to check the mail and it never once got static-y. A definitive suggest this one, not too expensive either.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have an Angel Care monitor as well, and we love it. But I gave one to my sister, and she had static problems... We also have a video monitor that is great. The only problem with it is that it's supposed to have two cameras, but it will really only work with one. It's made by Summer something or other.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
We have a Graco model. I really like the lights. A lot of times, if I think I heard a sound from DD, I will watch the lights as its easier to see them than hear her, if there are people talking, TV on, etc. We get minimal static on ours.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
We use the Sony BabyCall one and it works great. Very highly recommend.

ETA: It's fully rechargable so you don't ever have to change the battery. Just plug in the little carryalong one and it recharges really fast.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have the Sony Babycall - it is over 2 years old and still going strong. I like it because the receive end (that we keep with us) has a recharging cable. We have never had to replace the batteries. We have had very little interference or static. It is pricier, but considering the fact that I have had only one - it may be worth it!

·
Registered
838 Posts
We have the Sony Babycall as well. I like it, no static. However, at times we get loud buzzing interference intermittantly for a period of time.

Anyway, it works well for us. We haven't tried any others, though!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.