Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would REALLY like a laying-in period after this baby is born. Dh is taking 2w off from work, and we've agreed that he will take care of the kids (and the house will probably be in disarray, but that's not much different from usual) and my job will be to rest and bf.<br><br>
I had a really difficult time bonding with my last baby because I just didn't make it a priority to get to know her after the birth -- I wanted to keep up with being full time mommy to my then-2yo boys. Although I'm sure it will be difficult to focus just on the new one and let dh take care of the others, I really want to bond with this baby.<br><br>
However, even when there's days that dh is "on" and I'm "off" -- like y'day, for Mom's Day, I got to sleep all day, thank you dh! -- the kids still want to hang out in bed with me, or want me to come help them or play with them. Dh is an awesome dad, they're just all pretty attached. I love that, but I really want to spend some quality time with this new one.<br><br>
So, to sum up: tell me about your babymoon when you had other young kids at home?

·
Registered
125 Posts
My dd was 2 1/2. I had relatives take her out for the day the first 2-3 days. She would be a little nuts though when she got home because she was off her routine. So then we kept her home and dh would entertain her so I could focus on the baby. It was nice to have her gone the first few days while I got to know the baby, but it was also nice to have her home and get used to us being a foursome.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
subbing.... I was wondering how I would get any time for just the babe and me when there are 2 toddlers who are used to mama doing just about everything! Dh will have a week off, and is very willing to help, I just hope they let him!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The only way I could make it work is by enlisting the help of another relative right after the baby was born. She came to stay with us for ten days and helped out with the older kids considerably. She got up with the kids so I could sleep in, brought me food and drink so I could stay in bed, etc. I couldn't have done it with just DH -- errands have to be run, and he wanted some down time as well.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I just had baby #6, 12 days ago and I did not have a babymoon. DH took a week off but there really wasn't any just me and baby time...

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
With ds (bab 1) I took no babymoon and life was truely terrible. So when dd came around 2.5 years later rest/nursing and babymooning were the top priority.<br><br><br>
At the time I was still working so ds was going to a babysitter 5 hours a day 4 days a week. We keep that schedule. Dh would get up and get ds and himself out of the house, and dd and I would lay in bed napping and nursing. Before they were due home each day I took a shower. Having that time alone to rest was an absolute lifesaver.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I'm expecting baby #5. I have had a babymoon with all of them....some were better than others.<br><br>
Dh will be taking a week off to be at home with me and the kids, and I will mostly be lounging around with the new baby. What works for us is to have some new toys and movies on hand for the older kids when the new baby arrives.<br><br>
We have always had a little gift exchange of sorts the day the baby is born. I take the older kids shopping before the baby arrives to pick out a gift from them to the new baby. Then I get a few gifts for the older kids from the new baby to them(something like new DVDs or things that will keep them quietly occupied). We wrap everything up and have some cake too.....like a birthday party. Usually the new things keep them busy for a few days.<br><br>
I think it helps to lower your standards a bit so that you aren't so stressed out. I normally interact with my kids a great deal, so I try to relax and let thm be on auto-pilot for a few days.....some extra TV isn't going to kill them. Other than that I try to stay in my own room as much as I want to. Dh's standards aren't quite what mine are, so if I hang out in the main areas of the house I normally end up stressed out over the mess. It will still be there when I'm ready for it.<br><br>
I don't know how old your kids are, but mine are old enough to do a lot of the basic housework too. I have spent the last few months really organizing their chores and getting them used to a good routine so that they will be a big help when the time comes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts