Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think DD and I have thrush. Her tongue is coated in white fuzz that doesn't wipe off, she has a red bottom and is very gassy, she clicks a lot while nursing and pops on and off a lot. We are dealing with over active let down issues as well which has some of the same symptoms, so it's hard to say which is which. The only symptom I have is some shooting pain that goes deep into my breasts. It's not severe and doesn't feel like the stabbing excruciating pain that I've heard of and it's not constant. The symptoms are mild at this point which makes me unsure of whether it's even thrush at all (except for DD's really white tongue).<br><br>
After reading some articles on Kellymom I'm thinking of going with grapefruit seed extract, probiotics and cutting out the sugar and dairy except for yogurt. What were your symptoms and how did you treat it? How successful and quick was the recovery?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had thrush for 2 months w/my first. I think what worked for us in the end was letting it run its course. However, I did a number of vinegar/water rinses toward the end. After each nursing session I would "dip" my breasts into two containers of vinegar/water for about 10 minutes. Also, I was advised by an IBCLC to wash all linens, etc in vinegar/water, too.<br><br>
I took probiotics, too.<br><br>
Your case sounds like it could qualify for some Nystatin. I would definitely request a prescription from your pediatrician, particularly since your LO is exhibiting signs. (Mine didn't. It was only on me.)<br><br>
You can also try Gentian Violet. It's a little hard to find, but I hear it works wonders. Look up it's use directions on Kellymom.<br><br>
Good luck. And my heart goes out to you. Thrush is a major drag.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts