Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DD has been a staunch 40 minute napper for the past three months or so, but now, at 7 months, is able to take a long nap (almost always 2.5 hours) almost every day.  It's nice, but it's thrown our sleep patterning completely out the window.  I think we are trying to end up at two naps a day, but we just haven't been able to get the timing right.  Add to that, DD's struggling with reflux so her nights are unpredictable.  In the past I've really had to firmly guide DD into a napping pattern that was repeatable, so I'm trying to get a better idea of what to aim for and I'm curious how other babies with similar catnapping patterns made the transition to a more mature napping pattern.  Specifically -</p>
<p> </p>
<p>1.  Did the ratio of nighttime sleep/daytime sleep stay the same?  One of DD's long naps is equivalent to the 4 short naps she used to take, so I feel like we're going to have a shorter night until she can stay awake for longer than 3 hours at a time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>2.  Did bedtime change?  If the night gets shortened, DD will have to go to bed later, which tends not to work well for her.  But she's already getting up at 5:30 - 6 a.m., so I don't think we can shorten any more on that end. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>3.  Were your baby's new naps of roughly equal length or was there a really long nap and a short nap?  Unless she poops or something, I have never ever seen DD sleep for a length of time > 0:40 but < 2:30.  But two long naps a day are two much and two short naps are too little.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>4.  We always bottled DD down for naps, so she both ate and slept every 2-ish hours and I'm pretty sure she rubs her eyes now when she just wants a bottle, which is part of why I'm so confused about the signals she's sending.  If you bottled/nursed to sleep, was it necessary for you to de-couple feeding from sleeping to make your new schedule work? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for any and all input! </p>
<p> </p>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts