Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how other people manage nights.

My little guy (7 months) has always screamed his head off when I try to potty him at night - when he wakes, he wants to nurse back to sleep and that's it! He also doesn't want his diaper changed at night, so I started using disposables to avoid him getting used to feeling wet overnight (we use cloth during the day). He sleeps with me and I barely wake up to nurse him- I suppose I could get out of bed to nurse him over a potty and he might go, but that would be a lot more disruptive to my sleep and I'm not eager to try it. so, that's our story - days are going well, btw.

tell me about your nights - where and in what does baby sleep, how many times do you potty, what kind of potty do you use?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi!

I always changed and pottied my kids at night. I usually nursed while pottying until over a year with both I think, or until whenever they were OK with pottying without nursing. With my daughter it was pretty easy to potty in bed, but 90% of the time I tried that with my son, pee would not always get into the potty, making it easier *for me* to get out of bed to potty him.

I stood sideways at the sink and let him pee into the sink, I sat on the side of the tub and let him pee into the tub, and I sat him on a toilet seat reducer with me sitting in front of him on a stool. In the sink and the tub definitely rinse or else it will be stinky in the morning!

I think if you commit to doing this for 3-4 weeks, it'll become part of your routine and both of you will go back to sleep very quickly and easily. I do think changing and pottying at night helps a LOT with EC, and just with general hygiene too. Sure, I slept through wakings and woke up to wet diapers sometimes, but overall I'd say I pottied 70-80% of the nighttime pees. My son was dry all night pretty early, around 16-17 months and I finally ditched the nighttime diapers all the way when he was 19 months old. It's really really nice not to have to put a diaper on AND not worry about protecting the bed!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
There was a while when ds2 would rather sleep than be pottied (he sleeps next to me) but after doing sposies at night for a while I gave it another shot (the only constant w/ babies is change, so trying new things or revisiting things that didn't work is always a good plan in my book) and now he is willing to sit on a potty by the bed when he wakes at 4am and then nurse afterwards - I have a waterproof pad on the bed with some thin prefolds scattered on top (they're broken-in and feel softer to the skin), then him in a prefold or flat with no cover (or Ecapants if he fell asleep before bedtime and got carried upstairs that way.) In this fine summer weather he wears a t-shirt and diaper.

He wakes once during the part of the night that I sleep in (that one is anywhere from midnight to 4 am), then once around the time I usually get up, each time I potty him and nurse back to sleep (if he wants to), when I get up I let him sleep a little longer while I get the other kids up and then go back up and fetch him (except on mornings when he decides he's up for the day with me.) With these two pottyings he pretty reliably keeps the diaper dry all night.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm a late starter but I can't fathom pottying at night. I love sleeping through with her just nursing!

That being said I have noticed that sometimes she wakes up a little more and seems a little more agitated than just wanting to nurse. I think those are the times when she would rather potty.

I will work up to that when we are catching most of the daytime peeps.

·
Registered
572 Posts
When dd was little, I used a wool pad on the bed and I kept a potty on the nightstand. I used the kind that fits between your legs and I sort of sat up in bed and did it right there.

Then we went through a phase where she would cry so hard on the potty that I stopped for a month or so and I would just diaper her and change her.

Then we went back to pottying but I always try to BF her first because I think I was reading some of her signals wrong.

Now she is 6 mo old and she wears trainers right in the bed with no pad at all (I haven't used one in 3 mo or so). We might have a miss once a week and I keep a few trainers on the nightstand to change her out. She usually pees once or twice a night in the potty and has already gone a few nights staying totally dry till morning.

I am so thankful that we stuck with it and I am still amazed at how great it is working.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Nurse or rock to sleep around 9 - 10 (now... it changes all the time) after a last potty / change.

Set in cradle.

Wakes around 3 a.m. to nurse and change. She hates to be pottied when she's tired, so why torture her?

Wakes again at five and seven. At seven I can potty her as she's more awake. At five I just change her.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My dd2 did not want to be pottied at night until two weeks ago. She's 17.5 mos. I would just change her diaper if she peed. Sometimes she'd wake up dry. Now, she'll squirm and moan until I take her to the toilet. She's half asleep the whole time and falls back asleep without nursing. Before she would scream if I tried to sit her on any kind of potty. I swear- ec'ing changes and goes through cycles on a monthly even weekly basis sometimes!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Night time EC has been a bit of a sore spot for me, I would say! My babe went through a fairly long period of not wanting to be pottied at all at night in any way shape or form. (OK, I never did get around to trying to nurse her while holding her over a potty, I was just too sleep-deprived to give that a try.) She was very clear about that, and so of course I didn't force it. I also didn't have the patience in the middle of the night to take her if she was going to fuss and cry and squirm on the potty. So for months I just kept "night night diapers" by the bed and changed her when she woke up if she was wet. In the past month or two, she's wanting me to take her again, and rarely pees at night in a diaper. She pees 2-4 times a night in the potty. She's almost 15 months. It definitely has changed!

I think it was around 7 months (give or take) when she didn't want to do night time pottying anymore. If she squirmed and fussed, I would take her, but otherwise I wouldnt. That was kind of the routine we settled into for that period.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We started daytime EC at about 1 month and for several months just changed him at night if he fussed. At that point we were using WAHM AIO dipes similar to BumGenius (just owned two that we washed nearly every day).

Starting at about 4 months those AIOs stopped fitting so well and I wanted to keep him drier at night, so we went to using the Motherease AIOs without covers - quick release for pottying or changing if they do get wet. He rarely has a BM at night.

He's now nearly 6 months and every night is different - sometimes I'm just so tired all I can when he rouses is plug him on the breast and we both fall back asleep. However, if I'm in a lighter sleep stage I'll usually wake up and try nursing him over the BBLP and see if he'll pee. Seems like he squirms and kicks lightly when he needs to pee then moans and kicks when he's wet, so if I'm fast asleep it's hard to catch early. Once it gets light out it's a bit more delicate - if I sit him on the potty he'll really wake up and be ready for the day versus just changing him and we all sleep longer. This week we have had a couple completely dry nights and then a couple nights/mornings with 6 wet diapers!

There are always going to be occasional puddles. So for protecting the mattress - I find it is useful to have something other than just sheets & mattress cover. We currently have a "Blue Max" waterproof bed pad but I would not buy it again as it overheats us... I have my eye on changing it for the Wool Puddle Pad from http://continuum-family.com instead!!!

Like PPs have said, everything changes all the time with a baby... see what works this week - or even just tonight!

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
While we were EC'ing I kept DS's potty by the bed. When he woke up, I'd nurse him, then potty him. He almost always went, and was never wet. I emptied it in the morning.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I started EC with dd2 at 3 months and she always hated pottying at night, so I stopped trying. She was dry through the night at 6 months and an EC grad at 21 months. Ds also hates it, so I only change him when he wakes and skip the potty. Things are going really well during the day, though, at almost six weeks.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmama View Post
I started EC with dd2 at 3 months and she always hated pottying at night, so I stopped trying. She was dry through the night at 6 months and an EC grad at 21 months. Ds also hates it, so I only change him when he wakes and skip the potty. Things are going really well during the day, though, at almost six weeks.
My DD was similar - dry at night from 6 months (apart from teething, overnight wees always meant new teeth coming), grad around 18 months. We didn't start night EC until after she started having dry nights (before that it seemed to hard but then we figured we had nothing to lose). The difference between waking to nurse and those times she did need to go were quite obvious - if your co-sleeping baby kicks you in the head they need to go to the toilet

DS hasn't liked being pottied unless also nursing until recently and it all seems to hard for me overnight but I had one catch when I woke up to change him then realised he hadn't finished.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.