Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to MDC and am so eager to get some support! I have twin boys, 8 months old now. Twins are not new to me, I was 12 when my twin brothers were born, so at least I had SOME clue what life would be like!

Dh and I had pretty strong opinions on how we would raise our boys...at least for those first few months. But they became quite ill and we spent 3 wks in ICUs hoping and praying they would be fine. When they were, we just couldn't stand the thought of our original parenting ideas! We didn't want to squeeze our newborn miracles into our convenient lives, we wanted to bend to their needs and raise them as responsively as we could. It's so hard for me to articulate how this whole change in thought happened...

The first many months have been surprisingly easy! We have good sleepers and great temperaments and so the days are usually pretty fun! But there are always those days and hours that AREN'T so enjoyable. They are both crying. They are both hungry. They are both tired. Whatever.

So how do you do it? How do you tend to them both at once? I just can't stand allowing one to cry while he waits his turn! I realize I am one mom with two arms, but there's got to be a way to care for them simultaneously! Lately, our biggest struggle is bedtime. They are both tired and hungry and I just can't give them what they need together. So I try to choose the one who needs me most at that moment, but then the other is upset for the next 15-20min until the first is in bed. Am I making sense?

I try things like sitting close to the one I am not holding. I wear one of them (alternately or whoever needs it most just then) for the better part of the day. i just don't know what else to do! I feel like my poor boys are being jipped of the parenting they deserve and I so badly want to give them just because there are two of them and just one of me

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You all are FABULOUS! I was feeling SO bad about my parenting and I just knew I had to be the worst twin momma out there! It feels SO much better to know that I am by far not the only mom to deal with it!

The suggestions are great, thank you. I do leave them together anytime I can't be with either of them. They still seem to think of each other as an interactive toy, so it keeps them happy. I love hearing that so many moms are spending so much time on the floor! I swear there are days when I think I've spent 10hrs on our living room rug!

Feeding simultaneously (sp?) is a challenge here. Ethan is breastfed but Anthony is gets formula since he was 3.5 mo old
It's not ideal, I know.... I used to be able to feed them both together anyway, but not since they started getting so curious and mobile. So feeding times are REALLY stressful! Luckily, dh is around for the morning feeding when Anthony wakes up starving and Ethan wants a nursathon, so that helps a lot.

I think in the evening the problem is just tiredness. They pretty much meltdown if they aren't in bed by 6:30, so after about 5 they aren't so cooperative. I do suspect they are teething, which doesn't help, of course! Poor guys. They don't cosleep anymore
I wasn't ready to move them out yet, but it was SO obvious they were ready! They do love laying around with me in the bed or on the floor though, so that's part of our bedtime routine...just some relaxing time with mom laying down and playing quietly. I get my cosleeping fix that way, I guess.

Thanks for the tips and even more for the encouragement. I need it!!! I'm so glad to find a group of twin moms with more in common!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.