Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we've been cosleeping now for over a year, and i'm looking to make things a little easier...

we have a queen sized bed in our bedroom and we have hard wood floors. i'm always concerned about leaving the little guy to go catch up on housework or whatever, so we stack a lot of pillows on either side of him. when he wakes, he usually cries out or starts talking so that i come rushing to him before he sits up. i live in fear of him falling out of bed onto the floor. our apartment is pretty small, so i am always nearby to hear him, but it still worries me. (getting rid of the bed frame and box spring and putting the mattress on the floor isn't an option right now. also, bedrails won't work. i think he would just pull up on those and topple over.) not cosleeping is not an option either.

what do you do when you leave your child to nap or sleep for a while on their own? how do you make it safe?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
You say that you have been co sleeping for over a year? than you child is 1?

By that time my DD knew how to climb down off of the bed safely. I just let her nap on the bed alone and come in the room when she called me. Most of the time she had not even moved (still on her back, calling for me in that just woke up sleep daze). A few times she did wake up and climb out of bed and come to me quietly. She never fell out of bed.

You could put a futon (or something along that line) on the floor next to the bed if you think your child will fall out. A futon is a lot softer than the wood floor.

I also want to say that although nobody wants their child to fall out of bed, a toddler is not going to be seriously hurt if it should accidental happen
: . Just make sure there is no bed side table or something there to fall on or into (no sharp corners!). I say this just to calm you fear! Maybe my child was different than others, we just never had it happen and I never used a rail or had the bed against the wall or anything like that. I did have the mattress on the floor for a few months when DD was learning to crawl but had not mastered backing down off the bed.

At that age my child also napped on the couch when I was hanging out in the living room (she needed me near to stay asleep through more than one sleep cycle) so again, I may not have the best understanding of your situation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry if you've already tried this, but I bought a Tres Tria pillow that I LOVE! My son's past 2 now, so mostly I use it as a teddy bear/reading pillow. =) But it's pretty long, fits under the sheets, and really does prevent rolling off the bed.

You can see it here:
http://www.betterforbabies.com/Tres_...-sleeping.html

Also, Leah, the owner of the company, is amazing if you need any advice - good luck!

·
Registered
230 Posts
When my daughter was an infant we put our mattress on the floor. Once she turned 1 (and was able to get herself down from the bed safely) we put the mattress back up. We haven't had any problems with her falling off or rolling in her sleep. She sleeps between Nick and I.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If lowering your mattress isn't an option, maybe an inexpensive crib mattress on the floor could work for you guys- portable to any room if you want, slides under your bed for storage. Easy to teach a 1 year old to back off of it, not too far to fall. And yeah, kids' heads are resilient. We had cement floors in our tiny house in honduras for 2 years and no one ever had an issue - even with a learning-to-crawl / learning to walk baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
same issue here with our 7mo DS, he is so active on the bed and I am afraid that he is going to fall off, I have seen him crawl in his sleep. Piling up pillows, or the tres tria would just be a fun obstacle for him to climb over and then boom! on the floor he'd be!
Any suggestions for an active little bed crawler?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.