Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby is lying sort of transverse. I'm still not sure which end is head and which is butt, but she's basically lying like this \ with her head or butt outside of the pelvic opening. I'm only 39 weeks so I know I just need to stop obsessing about it, but I feel like if she would engage herself in my pelvis something could start to happen and the random contractions I'm having might be more effective. (not to mention she could get her butt/head out of my lungs a little bit lol) It's mostly just impatience, but I'm also a little concerned with the "what if" she doesn't get into position. I've been doing yoga, sitting forward, doing pelvic tilts and squats to encourage it. Anyway, could I please hear your reassuring stories of malpositioned babies waiting until the last minute to get into place.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Have you seen a chiropractor for the Webster technique? Might help. She may not turn til labor. Her position isn't dangerous. Worse thing is that she's stubborn and won't turn, and you won't know that til it happens, so try not to worry.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I keep thinking about the chiro. Is the webster technique only for breech positioning or just bad positioning in general? Because I'm not certain that she's breech right now.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I wouldn't worry. It's not like she's stuck in a true transverse position, straight across and hung up on the pelvic bones. I'd keep active, do all those belly dancing type exercizes, scrub the floor and so on. She'll find her best route out if you let her. I'm not a big fan of trying to push babies around, though when mine would sit on my hip bone I'd poke them till they got off it, OUCH!

Kiley

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Mine is transverse right now, but keeps switching to that or breech (sigh!) I'm about 33 weeks (or 34, I forget!). I've bookmarked a site that tells you some pointers about using flashlights, or doing handstands (in a pool!) to get the baby positioned. But as I've read, sometimes they don't move until right before birth, or even in labor. I've been on the bed, butt up in the air resting on elbows trying to let him turn by himself, I don't want to 'force' the issue in case he's like that for a reason.

Here are some other tips you might want to try: http://gentlebirth.org/archives/breech.html#Chest

PS: I read this on another site, which helps me in case I have to make a decision about what to do:

So, I guess my advice to this poster would be.. .. Don't try a hosp footling vag breech birth in the hosp. The fear and tension around the
birth could cause way more problems than you even know. Think carefully about all the risks of a cesarean birth and how it will affect your childbearing future. Think carefully about how you would feel if your baby died during a vaginal breech birth and how you would feel if you or your baby died from complications due to a cesarean section. Think about how you'd feel if you gave birth smoothly to a footling breech (home or hosp) and think about having a cesarean and how you'd feel about that. Investigate as much as you can, make your choices and then be responsible for them. There are risks and benefits in all the choices and no one else can choose for you, your baby and your family and social network. If it was easy, you wouldn't have the question.

SOURCE: http://www.midwiferytoday.com/forums...?TOPIC_ID=8319

As a last resort, they claim that using the moxi (sp?) sticks really do help turn babies that just don't wanna...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Moxibustion (burnt herbs, on a stick, not smoked, more like an incense, but I'm not exactly sure how it's believed to work), it's been in use in China for eons. Works great for lots of things.

Kiley

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am almost 37 weeks and babe is also lying \ kinda diagonally. I am doing hands and knees and floating in the pool on my tummy. I am communicating with babe that it would be very helpful for him/her to ease up on the pressure on my hip by scooting over to the middle. I also have a chiro appointment on Monday and plan to get in there once a week. I'm not overly worried or concerned since we are head down. But the discomfort is quite overwhelming in the evening. I was in tears last night with the pain of my hip! I have bad siatica on the right side and babe putting pressure on the left OUCH!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Is the head/butt bump ballotable (if you push on it does it move down)? If so then baby is breech, if not vertex. Something else you can try at home is (with help) put your foot up on a couch or bed and do lunges. This skews the pelvis and agrivates the baby to move into a better position. Visit spinningbabies.com (even though they are not fully operational yet) for more Ideas on getting baby into a better position for birth.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for your thoughts and tips! I am feeling a bit better about things today. I got myself a birth ball finally and yesterday did a lot of pelivc circles, both on the ball and in the air, and she seems to not be so firmly in that position anymore but floating free, so I feel pretty good about her still being able to get into a good position.
The more I feel her the more I feel she is head down. The bump up high is really firm when I push on it (doesn't move like a head would) and i can feel the nudging down low, like I'm nudging her whole body. Does that make sense? Although breech isn't my major worry.
Anyway, thanks again for all your words. I have a couple of weeks and I'm sure she'll figure out the right position. For now I'm going to continue my pelvic work at home and visualizations. I'll plan to see a chiro next week if I'm still feeling that things aren't lining up.

·
Registered
504 Posts
relax. my third dd was transverse throughout pregnancy and did not turn until the very last part of birthing. after she turned i soon felt the urge to push. she was a big girl at 10 1/2 pounds. she just liked lying transverse with her head over to the side like that. i thought i would burst out the sides. i always wonder now how many transverse babies don't need to be born by c-section. it was so neat to see my stomach go from looking like a side laying watermelon to a vertical watermelon in an instant. that was after a full day of birthing by the way. so her birth would have most likely been shorter, but who knows. my 5th baby was a 16 hour birth that was painfree with only minor discomfort in the last half hour, due to unwanted people showing up. anyhow he was head down before birth and still longer birth so i guess it just depends.

relax. she will turn and come out the right way.

wanted to add: i didn't do anything at all to turn her. my body and/or just she herself did it at just the right time.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was transverse and birthed vaginally.

My dd was also transverse and birthed vaginally. She started shifting around shortly before and during birth. It was a wierd sensation to birth a wiggling baby.

I know some one that had a transverse baby and the Dr.s scared her into a c-sec. I am not sure what the big deal is. I guess that is just the way Dr's like to do things.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2much2luv View Post
My baby is lying sort of transverse. I'm still not sure which end is head and which is butt, but she's basically lying like this \ with her head or butt outside of the pelvic opening. I'm only 39 weeks so I know I just need to stop obsessing about it, but I feel like if she would engage herself in my pelvis something could start to happen and the random contractions I'm having might be more effective. (not to mention she could get her butt/head out of my lungs a little bit lol) It's mostly just impatience, but I'm also a little concerned with the "what if" she doesn't get into position. I've been doing yoga, sitting forward, doing pelvic tilts and squats to encourage it. Anyway, could I please hear your reassuring stories of malpositioned babies waiting until the last minute to get into place.

I would be in the same thoughts as yourself being 39wks. I am ending my 34 wks and my baby had enough room since 28 - 33 1/2 wks to go head down and then a week later transverse when I woke in the morning. It choose this about three times. I was concerned at first but then realized this is number 3 and it may be that I have a lot of room for this little person and he/she has not gained the fat parts yet. Now so far it has stayed head down. They will choose the best position for them I feel they know! You must have room for your baby is moving like that so late in the game.

I also had a client whose baby was breech until 39 1/2 wks and she went to two moxa appts and felt the baby turn a week before going into labor. So you do have options and I know visioning your baby head down and releasing any fear/s you may have as you are getting closer will help her/him feel safe. ;o)

Angela

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I was transverse and moved head down shortly before I was born. Luckily my mother didn't really want to go to the hospital and stayed home until it was almost time.

My first was a bit transverse while I was in labor (UC). It was a long labor and I think it was caused by my habit of tensing muscles all the time (not just in labor but in general life). He got in position and was born very quickly after that.

Relax, talk to your baby, and maybe get pampered a bit to help you relax more (it won't hurt
)

·
Registered
463 Posts
My fourth baby was at an angle with his bony little head sticking out a bit, just over my left hipbone, until the very end. I was practically afraid to move because i felt like I was bumping his head on things. He was really long at birth; 22 1/2 inches; and still managed to get his head into my pelvis a few times the last few weeks (and then out again.) He got his head engaged for good once I was in labor.
When he was born, one ear was all squished up into a ball for about 24 hours. I thought it was deformed at first, but it "flowered" and looked pretty normal after a day. He was apparently resting on that ear against my pelvic bones for the last month or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This does not sound concerning to me either -- babies engage later with each pregnancy, so on #4, baby may not engage until well into labor. If it's still bothering you though, you can also try one dose of homeopathic pulsatilla.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.