Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I have celiac disease. DS (35 mo) also has celiac disease. DS and I are both sensitive to lactose as well, but not autoimmune like gluten. I think I am also having issue with something else (recent fatty stools?) but haven't figured it out. DS has been 5 months gluten and dairy free and doing really well. Pre-diagnosis I lost a crazy amount of weight.I am 5'2". Pre-pregnancy I was 137, delivery day I was 160, when DS was 6 weeks I was 120. I never did gain it back.. I stabilized around 117-118 after going GF. Probably for the best anyway. Delivery day with DD I was 147 and then back to 125 in a week or two. Back to prepregnancy weight around 2 months.

Now I'm training for a half marathon. I ran throughout my pregnancy and am coming to the tail-end of the really hard work - the half marathon is 8/14. But I am suddenly losing weight (down to 112 lb) and seem to be gathering old celiac-like symptoms.. headaches, dizziness, weight loss, fatty stools. Not NEARLY bad like when I was on gluten but something is up. I am also exclusively breastfeeding DD who is a few days shy of 6 months. She is a delightfully happy baby, and over 19.5 lbs. She is meeting her milestones well.

However - she is having serious poop problems. Her poop is yellow, though sometimes orange, and frothy. We use EC so I know that her stool floats. She struggles quite a bit to get it out, and the need to poop often keeps her up. She went from 5 or 6 poops a day to 2. It smells terribly. She had oral thrush a few weeks back, and I thought the yeast may be effecting her digestive system? But no more thrush problems and her poop situation hasn't improved. She squirms and fights so hard, I'm so tired from fighting her when she's sleepy but has to poop. She is a very strong, nearly 20 lb little girl after all!

I can't afford to lose any more weight. I suspect the recent loss could be due to the recent increase in running mileage - perhaps I'm not getting enough calories, or perhaps not enough fats/carbs IN those calories?

I've been gluten free for 14 months. My only dairy intake is full fat Greek yogurt. I eat completely organic, and my meats are free range. I do eggs everyday and try to add fat where possible - olive oil is a staple around here. And yet, DD seems to be struggling with SOMETHING in my diet? Or maybe it's something else?

I need to fill up! Tell me what I CAN eat that will not irritate my digestive system or DD's!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I forgot to mention our entire household is GF and we only eat at home. We moved a few months ago so it's just me and the kids here the vast majority of the time.. DH went GF when DS was diagnosed several months ago.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Are you buying anything prepackaged which might not be safe? Millet or chickpea flour from a non-dedicated mill? Cereal that is not tested to be gluten-free? Are you still using old cast iron/non stick or wooden utensil from your pre-diagnosis life?

Are you taking any probiotics? (They can help, but sometimes they seem to make things worse from an explosive standpoint.)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We for the most part don't do anything prepackaged, and the packaged stuff we buy from Trader Joe's certified organic and GF. When we moved, we eliminated everything that had ever been used pre-diagnosis - pans, toasters, dishes, containers, etc, etc, etc.

I was taking some probiotics a few weeks ago when trying to treat DD's thrush, but have since stopped taking them.... perhaps I need them..?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I would cut out the dairy completely for your baby (it might help you too). It certainly sounds like you could have another food intolerance. Maybe you should try cutting out other common allergens. I don't know how to help you resolve this immediately, though, and you are pushing your body hard right now between the training and the marathon. You could do an elimination diet and just eat A LOT of the things you do eat. It might be a pain, but it won't hurt your health or that of your baby.

·
Registered
855 Posts
When I'm feeling contaminated or like I did SOMEthing wrong I go back to my staple of boiled chicken and white rice. When I feel better for a bit then I start to add in seasonings and add in one food at a time to try to track down the culprit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.