Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cold rinse with a touch of detergent (less than a tsp, probably)

Hot/cold wash cycle with almost a half cap of detergent (hard water takes more detergent), a drop or two of Tea Tree Oil, and a squirt of non-ultra Dawn every time I remember (every third time).

One last cold rinse

I add an extra cold rinse at the end every few weeks or so, just to make sure all the detergent is getting rinsed out. The TTO isn't necessary, but it helps with the touch of hemp stink I get from time to time. I got mine from Target for $5. The Dawn helps with the buildup issues. Just don't use vinegar often...it's great for soft water, but it will cause major stink issues with hard water! I use it maybe once a month, and always do an extra rinse with it.

Becky

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The only thing that I do differently is use a bit more detergent than most. We had stink problems when I used a really small amount of detergent. I upped it and the stink was gone. I also use Downey Advance in the final rinse cycle to soften everything up.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a front loader with no separate rinse cycle. So the gentle cycle is short and provides the most water, so I use it first on cold to rinse them out; nothing added.
Then hot wash with 1-2 tbsp. of HE Tide and Calgon.
Then warm wash with nothing added to make sure everything is rinsed out (the boy is very sensitive to any soap residue, so I like to be extra careful plus the machine uses sooo little water).

Tried vinegar and baking soda different times and always resulted in them being stinky coming from the dryer. As long as I don't use those, then I don't have a problem. And sometimes I use a drop or two of TTO too, just b/c I like the smell and maybe it helps my hemp too.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Mine starts with buying OC instead of hemp :LOL.

Step 1 - cold prewash with 2 squirts of Dawn and agitation, spin out. I also rinse my diaper pail with hot water and TTO, then add the mix to the washer to save water and TTO.

Step 2 - Hot wash, warm rinse cycle, nothing added. But there are still bubbles in the hot wash, so I figure I don't need to add anything.

Step 3 - Dry on medium.

Once a month or so, I turn the water heater all the way up and do extra hot rinses as stink/build-up prevention.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My routine is long hot wash with 1 rinse with 2 tbsp tide powder and 2 tbsp calgon. 2nd shorter hot wash with 2 rinses. Every now and then I do extra rinses. So far no stink (4 months) and we only use hemp.
I had to experiment with the amt. of powder so now I use a measuring spoon to make sure I get the right amount.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
man, I don't see how you hard water mamas are getting away with only one risnse after the wash. Mine start stinking really fast if I only do one. My routine involves lots and lots of water. I feel really bad abt how much I use, but it's gotten better since I started using Calgon (I wish I had tried it MONTHS ago).

I do a cold soak (no Det)
HOT wash with almost half capfull Tide Free and capfull of Calgon
High water level HOT water rinse - nothing in it
Low/Med water level Hot water rinse w/nothing in it
High water level HOT rinse - capfull of calgon

and the really disgusting thing is before I started using Calgon, I did like 2-3 more rinses. And you know, the problem wasnt even with my Hemp (this go around, I've had yucky stinky hemp before tho), it was the stupid Fuzzi Bunz. They would smell like poop out of the dryer if I didnt do all those rinses. I think I might try to experiment w/just 3 cycles in stead of 5 and see how that goes.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the responses!! I am due in Sept with baby #4 and I don't want my precious little NB diapers to reek!!

I need to save this thread to refer to. When Grace was in diapers we had no water chemistry issues at all so I never had to deal with washing issues beyond the occasional extra rinse.

Does anyone know if they sell calgon in bulk anywhere? Maybe Sam's club?

·
Registered
50 Posts
We have extreme hard water (we live at treeline, 10,000 feet, our "yard" is solid and decomposing granite). We have had very minor stink issues even in our hemp.

We recently simplified our routine, and no adverse affects:

1.) Cold Soak and spin out
2.) Warm Wash with 3TB tide free powder
2.5) If stink shows up here, we add a downey ball with vinegar
3.) Hot wash, no detergent.

We cut out all the extra rinsing, and seems to work just fine. Any stains or stink left after this, the sun easily gets out. (and with 1//3 of the atmosphere than sea level up here, we get tons of UV to take out all the baddies).

Anyone know why someone said not to use vinegar with hard water? It works wonders for us, both in the wash, and for getting mineral stains out of the toilet and sinks.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
We have ultra hard water too and I have been doing Susan (zexplorers) wash routine (because she lives here too
).

I do a cold/cold rinse w/ 1/2 a cup baking soda and a squirt of Dawn dish soap, then hot wash/cold rinse w/ 1/2 a cap full of sportwash and 1/2 a cup of Calgon water softener powder (she uses the liquid but I cant find it anywhere near me), then another hot wash/hot rinse w/ a half a cup of vinegar in the rinse. Then I usually do another hot wash/hot rinse and check that there are no suds left.

This routine along w/ getting rid of all hemp and using only OC works great for us, no build up, no stink.

And actually I still have hemp stuffers for our Wonderoos and they dont stink anymore either.

·
Registered
879 Posts
1. warm wash/cold rinse with 1/2 amt of Purex

2. hot wash/cold rinse (nothing added)

that's it

I'm not sure how hard my water is but my toilet bowl is yellow after 1 day

ETA:
Kacie's still got BF poop, so we don't have much stink to start with.

·
Registered
779 Posts
1)Cold rinse
2)Longest hot wash with 1/2 cup detergent (I love Tide the best. I have noticed that when I use Tide all my laundry abd diapers get cleaner, with no stains. I hate paying the price though and sometimes I use ALL) I put about 1/4- 1/2 cup vinegar in my fabric softener dispenser.
3)another cold rinse

No stink, ever. I also always line dry if the weather permits.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Quote:
man, I don't see how you hard water mamas are getting away with only one risnse after the wash.
My old routine with Tide required 2 FULL wash/rinse cycles to rinse clear of bubbles and avoid buildup. Since I didn't like the water usage or the time involved, I went on a hunt for something better, and something better is Dawn for us.

I just read somewhere, I wish I could remember, that Dawn has a formula similar to synthrapol. Synthropol is a detergent used in dyeing that captures dirt, oil and unattached dye particles and then rinses cleanly away. That is what Dawn does for me. It rinses away sooooo much faster than any laundry detergent I've tried, and the dipes seem to be as clean.

Diaper laundry is fascinating.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Quote:
Anyone know why someone said not to use vinegar with hard water? It works wonders for us, both in the wash, and for getting mineral stains out of the toilet and sinks.
My guess is that it depends on what minerals you have in your water. Not all hard water is alike, that's why Morgan has the best luck with Susan's routine, same area of the country.

Sounds beautiful where you live.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
cold prewash with TTO

HOT wash with calgon (water softener) and Purex detergent (very small amount!!!)

2 cold rinses, first one with vinegar

We have EXTREMELY hard water, but have been using this wash routine for over two years with no problems ... no build up (which is common with hard water) and no stink!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts