Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to move in the veg direction. I've begun cooking veg meals on the weekends - but have gotten a less than excited response from my kids. I'd love a thread of your kids favorite veg meals.

FYI - my kids are 2 and 4.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
240 Posts
My kids favourite is baked beans (we eat them on top of mashed potatoes). They also love falafils, pizza (we're vegan, so we just make pizza with sauce and veggies), and believe it or not - sushi!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Mine love tofu, both covered in breadcrumbs and fried and sliced, covered w/ bbq sauce, and baked (not both at the same time
I either fry it or bake it)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Veggies and tofu served over rice

Quesadillas w/ veggies and beans

Spinach pizza (we make our own)

Baked potatoes

Breakfast for dinner!

Sloppy Joes made w/ lentils and potatoes/ corn.

hth!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Mac and cheese (from scratch)

Egg and refried bean tacos

Pizza

Spinach pie (spanokopia - sp? The Greek dish)

Tofu - warm, cold, with sauce, plain, basically in almost any form

DS has been rather picky lately so I'm not getting a lot of actual vegetables into him.....

·
Registered
556 Posts
My dh and I are not vegetarian, but my dd does not like meat, so we eat a lot of vegetarian meals. Here are my dd's faves:

Grilled cheese sandwich with any veggie on the side.

Mushroom quesadilla

Veggie bean soup

Jarred Indian sauces from Trader Joe's. Cut up whatever veggies are in the crisper, add tofu, saute, and serve over rice. We love the Korma and the Masala sauces.

Pasta with tomato sauce, or cream sauce and whatever veggies are on hand. Salad.

Mac and cheese with peas or broccoli mixed in.

Black beans, whole wheat biscuits, and some sort of veggie

Tofu dogs and french fries.

Eggs and toast.

French toast with fruit.

bean and cheese burritos

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Their absolute favourite is spicy ma po tofu w/ green beans, bamboo shoots, & bok choy over ramen noodles.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
I'm the only veg in the house, but I'm trying to get everyone to eat less meat and dairy so this is a GREAT thread.

My two year old would happily live off garlic hummus for the rest of his life - adores the stuff. He also really digs veggie burgers - I'm thinking he's an easy convert

I make a big batch of burritos every few weeks and freeze them individually, the whole family loves them (I have a 16 year old, a 12 year old, a 4 year old and a 20 month old plus DH). I use veg refried beans, black beans, corn, rice and salsa. Yummmmm.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Humm...

hummus

mashed beans rolled up on a whole grain tortilla

rice (any and all kids, especially spanish)

pizza

spagetti and marinara

any kind of loose beans (she loves to snack on these)

mixed vegetable soup (with a roll for dipping)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My ds (4) will almost always eat brown rice, black beans and cheddar cheese if it's in a wrap. Put it in a bowl and it's not as likely to get eaten. Hummus, french toast, cheese pizza and pasta are also favorites. He has an aversion to sauces so whatever we're making I try to just pull his out before adding any kind of sauce.

DD (18 months) eats so little I can't even put anything down. Wait...she does eat peas

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
peas and tofu in coconut gravy YUM and he'll eat every bite until he's so bloated he cannot move!

recipe:

use your favorite cubed & marinated xf tofu. saute in olive oil w/ frozen peas and set aside.

med / low olive oil in pan w/ a tsp of curry powder and a tbs of ap flour for about 5 minutes.

whisk in 3/4 cup veg broth and 3/4 cup coconut milk. bring to a boil whisking and then lower heat when thick. salt/pepper to taste and add tofu/peas. serve over brown rice.

he also loves those premade indian sauces w/ chunks of "cheese". I make it a bit less spicy w/ a dollop of sour cream (veg or regular--- we do both)

he loves egg burritos w/ cheddar cheese and brown rice

anything with dipping sauce !

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Even tough we are veggie & we make healthier versions, my kid is still a typical kid. His favs are veggie burgers, mac n cheese & pizza
:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Vegan mac and cheese...or as my 2 yo calls it "vn noo noos"

I just cook whole grain pasta and when they're sone and drained I add earth balance, soy milk, braggs, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper. I need to remember to measure out the ingredients so I can share the recipe.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Denali has always been a huge fan of beans. They have been her favorite food from age one on. Our favorite way to prepare them is simple: beans soaked overnight and cooked in fresh water with a chopped onion, several cloves ofgarlic, a couple bay leaves, and some aromatic fresh herbs tied together. then I add salt most of the way through the cooking process. i serve them warm in their broth with a light drizzle of olive oil. We use crusty whole wheat bread to soak up the broth. Delicious! We eat it weekly, and it never gets dull for us.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
black beans, brown rice, pico, guacamole, corn chips. i cook the beans in olive oil and "mexican seasoning" beforehand.

lentils and rice w olive oil curry powder, chili powder, parsley. (if you eat eggs, my people like it w boiled eggs)

soup. really any kind of soup. with a warm slice of food for life bread w earth balance on it. yum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts