Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming you are seeing someone, and its about the time when all of us would be having at least the first 10-12 week appointment...

What kind of care provider are you seeing?
How did you find him/her?
What did you do at the first appointment?
What questions did you ask?
What did you learn?
What (if any) unsolicited advice did they give you?
What did you like about the visit?
What didnt you like about the visit?
Will this be the person who delivers your baby?
When's the next appointment?
When are you going to tell everyone in your life about the pregnancy? (Assuming you havent yet)

Lots and lots of questions...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What kind of care provider are you seeing? Midwife
How did you find him/her? phone book
What did you do at the first appointment? Talked
What questions did you ask? How hands off are you willing to be , what do you require of me test wise, apptment wise, and financially.
What did you learn? How two people connect and if it would work or not
What (if any) unsolicited advice did they give you? Excersize every day, walk, walk, and walk everywhere!
What did you like about the visit? Sitting on the velour couch looking around at all of the Goddess sculptures and birth paraphenilia. Hearing the baby on the doppler ( just this once) I had had a previous miscarriage so that brought tears to our eyes.
What didnt you like about the visit? It went on for 2 hours and Dh was ready to scoot!
Will this be the person who delivers your baby? No my husband would do that.
When's the next appointment? 4 weeks from then. We can talk about labs then.
When are you going to tell everyone in your life about the pregnancy? I love (ed) being pregnant and having a huge round belly and feeling my baby growing and living inside of me. Having a midwife love your body too is harmony!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'll play...

What kind of care provider are you seeing?
- CNM that practices at a university hospital

How did you find him/her?
- They are the only CNMs covered by my insurance

What did you do at the first appointment?
- Weight
- Blood Pressure
- Urine Sample plus protien and glucose dip
- Doppler (heard the baby's HB- I love that!)
- Checked the my cervix and the size of my uterus
- Gonorrhea and chlamydia screen
- Went over the labs I had drawn 2 weeks prior to the appt (hemocrit, iron, etc)

What questions did you ask?
- DH asked about what I should be eating
- I asked about exercise

What did you learn?
- That I can continue my pre-pregnancy workout for as long as I feel good!

What (if any) unsolicited advice did they give you?
- Gave me a handout on the Quad Screening- We are opting out.

What did you like about the visit?
- It's fun to focus on the baby and feel like something's really happening.

What didnt you like about the visit?
- Nothing

Will this be the person who delivers your baby?
- Possibly, if she's on call. Otherwise, it's another CNM from the practice.

When's the next appointment?
- August 16- I'll be 15 weeks.

When are you going to tell everyone in your life about the pregnancy?
- We've told absolutely everyone. We're so excited. However, if we hadn't, I would have felt very comfortable telling everyone after that first appt.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
What kind of care provider are you seeing? A family practice DO who delivers
How did you find him/her? Got lucky! A list from my insurance
What did you do at the first appointment? BP, weight, pee in cup, quick pelvic for cultures, family history questions
What questions did you ask? How late will she let me go?
What did you learn? That things are good
What (if any) unsolicited advice did they give you? None
What did you like about the visit? Everything because they are wonderful!
What didnt you like about the visit? The pelvic, but who does?
Will this be the person who delivers your baby? Absolutely, all of them!
When's the next appointment? This week
When are you going to tell everyone in your life about the pregnancy? (Assuming you havent yet) We already have

·
Registered
754 Posts
What kind of care provider are you seeing? HB m/w

How did you find him/her? This is kind of funny. The people we sold our house to are now our friends. Too bad we live in different towns, LOL. Anyway, they ended up being pregnant when they moved from Finland to our old house without knowing. They found our mw and had a HB right in our old dining room. So they kinda opened the whole HB concept up to us.

What did you do at the first appointment? pee test and talk

What questions did you ask? everything

What did you learn? everything-mostly I learned she has a solid head and isn't easily swayed by fads since she's been doing this 33 years

What (if any) unsolicited advice did they give you? diet control

What did you like about the visit? she maintains a huge a prairie garden

What didnt you like about the visit? nothing

Will this be the person who delivers your baby? yes

When's the next appointment? August 10th

When are you going to tell everyone in your life about the pregnancy? (Assuming you havent yet) already done

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
What kind of care provider are you seeing? mw
How did you find him/her? Only one my insurance would cover.
What did you do at the first appointment? peed in a cup, pelvic exam, blood draw, discussed various genetic tests (all of which we declined), heard heart beat
What questions did you ask? Does every look good?
What did you learn? That I love my mw
What (if any) unsolicited advice did they give you? none
What did you like about the visit? hearing the heartbeat
What didnt you like about the visit? blood draw (I hate giving blood)
Will this be the person who delivers your baby? Not unless she moves to Vermont with us.
When's the next appointment? August 11th
When are you going to tell everyone in your life about the pregnancy? (Assuming you havent yet) done with the exception of a few playground friends and such

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
What kind of care provider are you seeing? It's a maternity clinic at a nearby hospital...7 different dr.'s mostly women

How did you find him/her? I asked one of the moms at dd's preschool who she was seeing (as she was due at the time!)

What did you do at the first appointment? peed in a cup, pelvic exam, blood draw, filled out paperwork mostly as we are new to the area and they don't have my previous records.

What questions did you ask? None really.

What did you learn? I learned that they are pretty laid back

What (if any) unsolicited advice did they give you? shockingly...none

What did you like about the visit? The dr's manner.

What didnt you like about the visit? nothing really.

Will this be the person who delivers your baby? don't know, I'll probably be referred to an ob later in the pg.

When's the next appointment? Aug. 14

When are you going to tell everyone in your life about the pregnancy?
(Assuming you havent yet)
I told those closest to me early on. Needed to explain why I was spending all my time on the bathroom floor

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
What kind of care provider are you seeing? Clinic in a hospital.

How did you find him/her? Reccomended. Though, I'm considering finding the woman that made the reccomendation, and kicking her in the shin.

What did you do at the first appointment? They took enough blood to feed a coven of vampires. We played 20 questions. They lectured me group therapy.

What questions did you ask? I'm such an obsessive reader, I honestly didn't have many questions.

What did you learn? Nothing much. I wanted to make sure I wasn't Rh- asap, so I was only 7 weeks along.

What (if any) unsolicited advice did they give you? Ugh. The food chart. Don't get me started on the food chart. And, the doc insisted that I read a chapter in the book they gave me that was only about what could go wrong. 'Cause, you know, that's the most important thing, right?
: OH! And, I got this box full of videos, all hosted by celebrities, on various topics concering the first five years. Because Felicia Rashad is my #1 source for parenting advice.

What did you like about the visit? One of the on-staff docs reminds me of my grandmother. That's kind of cool.

What didnt you like about the visit? The place pretty much drives me insane. I don't like it there.

Will this be the person who delivers your baby? Who knows?! It's a crapshoot! Like in Vegas, baby!

When's the next appointment? next month at 14 weeks.

When are you going to tell everyone in your life about the pregnancy? Pretty much everyone I actually like, already knows.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had my first appt today --

What kind of care provider are you seeing? Homebirth midwives

How did you find him/her? Internet and then personal recommendations/interviews

What did you do at the first appointment? Talked about nutrition, listened for heartbeat, spent an hour and a half just talking and asking questions and filling out health background info.

What questions did you ask? Asked about insurance coverage, asked about standard tests and their theory of testing

What did you learn? Learned that I should be eating prunes! Learned that i love my MW! Learned that I was right about my due date, and that I am 10 weeks and a few days along.

What (if any) unsolicited advice did they give you? Nothing unsolicited.

What did you like about the visit? Everything - it was comfortable, it felt special, they helped me to get excited, and...we heard a heartbeat! Cool!!

What didnt you like about the visit? My DH couldnt be there.

Will this be the person who delivers your baby? Yep.

When's the next appointment? Aug 22

When are you going to tell everyone in your life about the pregnancy? (Assuming you havent yet) Now I am ready to tell!

Lots and lots of questions..

·
Registered
832 Posts
I had my first appointment yesterday, and I am 9 1/2 weeks

What kind of care provider are you seeing? Midwives in a hospital

How did you find him/her? Its the only hospital covered in our insurance

What did you do at the first appointment? blood pressure, internal check, pap smear, breast exam, blood work

What questions did you ask? About not getting a tear this birth
:

What did you learn? For them to support my perinium I can't have a water birth because I would be more likely to tear

What did you like about the visit? she seemed nice

What didnt you like about the visit? couldn't hear the heartbeat yet
:

Will this be the person who delivers your baby? its hard to say, its a team of midwives and whoever is on duty when I deliver will be the one to delivery me

When's the next appointment? 3 weeks to hear the heartbeat

When are you going to tell everyone in your life about the pregnancy? (Assuming you havent yet) We did, just recently

·
Registered
44 Posts
Assuming you are seeing someone, and its about the time when all of us would be having at least the first 10-12 week appointment...

What kind of care provider are you seeing? Family Practitioner and HB MW
How did you find him/her? A local event sponsored by "Birth Care Network" I was very excited to see a Doc there that I thought might be willing to support my hb decision.
What did you do at the first appointment? Haven't had it w MW yet, with Doc peed in a cup, pelvic, met with doc and DH, talked family history
What questions did you ask? Asked about the safety of raw goat milk
What did you learn? Doc has been trained as MW and has had 2 HB herself! Yea!
What did you like about the visit? the doc took time before i was in a paper gown to talk to my dh and me.
What didnt you like about the visit? i have to be covert w office staff abt HB plans
Will this be the person who delivers your baby? nope, not unless there are complications
When's the next appointment? August 24 (will be 14 weeks)
When are you going to tell everyone in your life about the pregnancy? we've told pretty much everyone now. I will tell the people in my professional life probably some time next month or when I start to show.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts