Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so you get a positive, AF doesn't show...now what. I thought it would be fun to start a thread of ways to tell DH or family about being PRegnant...

Here is a first:

Go to the store and buy two pair of baby booties, a boys pair and a girls pair. Tell DH that you went shopping and found a pair of shoes you liked but couldn't decide on the color so you bought them both and need his help choosing... Show him the baby shoes and watch him glow!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
turtle's been in the bathroom with me when I've peed on things, and I suspect that will continue, so no telling will happen. Tough to surprise your partner when it's a one- or two-shot deal.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
I figure I'll email dh with my chart with the 18 high temps and include a note "Sweetie, we need to go shopping. Oh, and I'm really sorry, but it looks like we're not going to Hawaii."

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I went out and got an "I'm a big brother" T-shirt for my son. It took my husband about 5 seconds to figure it out, but he was thrilled!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
With my dh its more like "breaking the news", since we aren't ttc, or tta, and he really doesn't feel "financially ready. (I don't think he ever will tho)

but good ideas for telling parents! the shoe idea is precious, and probably even better telling a girlish gma or something...

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
A cute idea I just read about for grandparents. Make a scrapbook and on the last page put "First Grandchild" and a note that the picture will come in like "March 2007" for instance.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I LOVE the baby bootie idea! Maybe I can try to pull something like that off. Although, it's kinda like frog said....he knows that we're actively trying and knows when my AF is due and knows that I've already stocked up on pregnancy tests for when the time comes, so it won't be as fun to surprise him. He'll probably be the one poking and prodding for me to test as soon as AF doesn't show up.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'm with frog and kewpie. My hubby gets regular updates on what's going on in my cervix area: I usually spot a tiny bit for a couple days before AF rears her ugly head. So I'm not sure if I'm going to have to opportunity to surprise him.

I did however buy a bonnet a couple months ago (we'd both enjoy having a little girl) and have thought about doing something with that and the test display. Although for the sake of balance, I would also need to get a little boy something too.

I do have a plan for the grandparents-to-be. I going to embroider messages on baby tee shirts: Grandpa loves me, Meme loves me, Abuelos love me (yup I already assigned everyone nicknames). Our parents will be first time grandparents. Had we been announcing it Christmas time last year, it would have been great to give the tee shirts along with other gifts but no bun in the oven yet. So instead I might be mailing them to my parents on the East Coast although I already told my mom we're trying so it won't be as much a surprise for her.

·
Registered
941 Posts
not about telling dh, but I've toyed with the idea of writing the grandparents a letter/card from the baby and maybe not signing it or signing the back "baby XYZ". Something along the lines of " grandpa I know we'll spend lots of time fishing together and grandma it'll be so fun to play at the park with you. I'm really excited about having such great grandparents, but mom and dad say I have to wait until September to meet you."

DH will be a stick hawk so there's no suprising him. The one that I'll enjoy telling the most will be my sister (we're really close and she's the only one who knows when we'll be ttcing) (no jen, we aren't pg!) I've got some fun ideas for telling her but I can't post them here because she's an MDC mama.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Cute Ideas everyone!! I don't think I will be able to surprise my husband b/c he pretty much knows what is going on!! Our parents on the other hand are different they don't even have a clue that we are ttc!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I love all these ideas & can picture myself using them for my parents & DP's mom and sister.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
You ladies are so sweet and PATIENT!!!!!

He knows all goings on~~~ ttc is never a quick or easy road and he holds the map while I drive... and read the map
: .
So does my "ok- hold it like this, do you see it?? Is that a faint line? because I think its a faint line! O thank God its a faint line!!! Wow we got a line!!!!" and so on and so forth!!!
qualify as creative???

heehee~ maybe one time I'll pull off a cute and creative surprise for him
:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love them, lets keep them going
!!! I was accross the U.S. when I found out I was preg with my twins...I emailed my folks back home the ultrasound picture that had Baby A and Baby B typed on it. It took all of 3 min for my mom to call!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Thanks for this thread. Cute ideas! When I was PG with DS, for DH, I had decorated our bedroom with pink and blue ribbons. However, he got home early that day and I think I just busted and showed him the stick in the bathroom. For his parents, we gave them a gift - a box of the same pink and blue ribbons mentioned above. His mom looked and looked for the gift, digging around, but his dad got it right away!
For my parents, we were talking about a friend of mine who was PG and I just said, "I have something in common with her." and my mom figured it out.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I have a plan for the next PG. Since our family gatherings always involve food, I thought my contribution would be a salad...YK, baby carrots, baby peas, baby greens, those cute little baby corns...do you think they'll get it? I would die if they didn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hope I am not jinxing myself by thinking about this already.... but I know exactly what I am going to do. I will wait to POAS until AFTER DH goes to work (please please please, lol). He has a habit of calling when he gets off work and ask me if I want him to pick anything up on his way home. I am going to say "Yes, I'd like a chicken sandwich please. And the baby wants soft serve from Dairy Queen".

I absolutely love the baby shoes idea, though. I think that I will use that for my best friend who is always giving me fashion advice.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I told her she was pregnant.

Our routine was for her to PIAC alone in the bathroom, then I would go in and actually dip the stick, then we'd go in another room to watch the clock and wait. When it was time, I'd go in and check the test. (At first we went together, but as we got more BTDT about it -- and less hopeful -- she was like "Eh, go check it!") So it was me who first saw the line. I told her by saying "Uh, babe?! I think -- I th -- I think there's a line."

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I am trying to decide now how to tell DH when I do get my BFP!

I can tell you how we did it the previous 2 times though.

With #1:

Told DH by screaming his name after seeing a line. Not very original. LOL
Told the g'parents by buying little silver photo frames that said BABY on them. Printed a little stork clip art and wrote on it "You will get a picture in October" and inserted that where the picture would go. Wrapped them up and gave them as gifts.

With #2:

Told DH when he asked me what I did that day and I responded by slapping about 6 positive hpts onthe counter. LOL Again, not very original but I was excited. LOL
TOld the g'parents by having DS wear a shirt. On the front it said "I have BIG news" and on the back it said "I am going to be a big brother"...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts