Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
W/my first, I told my boss early on 12ish weeks?. I kept being admitted for dehydration, had HG, bleeding, was on partial bed rest. He had of course already figured it out but was bound by privacy issues not to say anything. But we were pals and I wanted to be upfront w/him. Everyone else at work got told after my 20w u/s.

Now, I have all new management that I don't know well or particularly trust etc. new HR rep too.

This time, I'm on the same track health wise. Better in some ways and worse in others. I also have had a nasty cold/flu and spent most of last week home sick.

I'm trying to decide when to tell. I just got scheduled for ANOTHER 1pm meeting - prime puke time for me. I really want to just block off 1-3pm on my calendar but I don't think its realistic.

Oh and fwiw, our families don't know yet. Only my 3 closest gf know and mostly its b/c they see me all the time and I ask them to help w/dd. I've had multiple losses and really don't feel comfy telling too many people too early

I'm only 8w so I've got a LONG time to go. and I have a fairly new job - transfered within my organization so there's a bit at stake.... otoh, I have alot more responsibility now and we're doing planning by quarters for the future

·
Registered
918 Posts
I told my boss and people at work at 13 weeks, right after I got the results of my NT scan and first trimester screening. I felt like I was beginning to show (although no one thought I was), and I really wanted to start wearing maternity pants.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey, are you the doberbrat from Petfinder boards?

Congrats on the second pregnancy, even though you don't feel well.

I am 8 weeks pregnant and haven't told my boss yet. However, it's my third kid and my previous 2 were both huge 9 lb 12 oz and 10 lb 1 oz. So, no stomach muscle control left. People can tell already... as they were able to with my second.

I still haven't told my boss because I just came back from maternity leave in January. This was a complete surprise as DS2 is only 10 months old right now. I plan on telling her this week. Don't know what her reaction will be... I expect her to melt down as we're overloaded here... and they like having me back as I am a subject matter expert. Oh well... what can I do???

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Good luck with deciding when to tell. I told at 7 weeks. My MS was pretty bad, but my job is dangerous and I needed my supervisiors to know asap incase I had to be transfered. I ended up being out on partial bedrest for the duration at 18 weeks, but because of the nature of my job, I had to tell early. I think if I had an office type job (not one where I got hit by children) I would have waited until at least 12 weeks.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I think I was around 10 weeks when I told the boss. I felt obligated to because I was out for a week with untreatable (because of pregnancy) vertigo and had been sick on and off before that.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I had planned to tell work at 12 weeks, but ended up telling my boss and the other person in my dept at 8 weeks b/c the other person had scheduled vacation while I'll be on maternity leave. Since the dept is so small, we can't both be gone at the same time. I swore them to secrecy and told the rest of the company (only 15 people altogether) around 13 weeks.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I hadn't planned on telling my boss or co-workers until 12 wks. But with the m/s and the fact I couldn't button up my uniform pants, it had to come out at 8 wks. We had some issues coming up that my boss wanted figured out and my pg was going to affect that so I thought he should know. I have sworn boss and 2 co-workers to secrecy until 12 wks to let it out to the rest of the department, which is pretty easy because we're at a "satellite location".

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by radosti View Post
Hey, are you the doberbrat from Petfinder boards?
nope not on petfinder.... now I'm curious who it must be - doberman rescue community isnt really that big kwim?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I haven't been on the Petfinder forums very often lately, but came back as I had a foster returned (she's now in a much better home). I do all breed rescue, well not so much now, but in a previous life... KWIM.

It's such a unique name, Doberbrat, that's why I thought you were one and the same.

·
Registered
124 Posts
We told pretty much everyone when I was only 8 weeks. But this is my first pregnancy and I haven't had or expected any complications. I think 12 weeks is a safe time to let everyone know. That's already 3 months and heck, you'll be showing in no time!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Last time I told when I was admitted to the hospital I work at at 7 wks on a day I was supposed to be working. Couldn't really hide that!

This time I have not needed to be hospitalized yet and am telling this week which will be 13 weeks.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I am a teacher and due June 27. At nearly 31 weeks, it is SO OBVIOUS that I am pregnant. I just now got out of the meeting where I told my principal that I am going to take a year of unpaid leave. People couldn't believe I waited so long, but I had no rush to tell him. In fact, I did this even before our deadline of our intent to return form due date, so I was doing him a favor! The meeting went really well and he wished me the best of luck.

In my case, taking one year off unpaid means I will be guaranteed a teaching job in my county when I come back in my area (English), but not necessarily in "my" classroom and old position. Fine with me! I'm sort of hoping it means I will have to switch schools.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Remember, you have no obligation to tell!

This will be the first time I have to go through this situation. I work in a school, so I'd wait until June, but as we're planning to tell family on Mother's Day, I can't expect my 5-year-old to hold that secret for too long. So I'll be about 7-8 weeks the weeks I tell my supervisors and hopefully it won't be a problem for me returning in the new school year.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am trying to figure out when to tell. I have a weird situation in that I started a new job 6 weeks pregnant (didn't know I was pg when I accepted the job, not that I would have turned it down). So basically they're going to get eight months work out of me, and then I'll be gone (and I don't know if I'll be coming back). I felt a little guilty about this but then I realized that in this economy, and especially in my industry, they will have NO trouble finding someone good to replace me, either temporarily or permanently. (They got hundreds of applicants when I applied for the job.) So I don't feel guilty anymore.

On the one hand I want to delay telling for as long as possible, because I don't want them to start thinking of me as a short-timer. On the other hand, I do want to give them enough notice so that they can do a good search to find someone to replace me. And on the third hand, I need to figure out what their maternity leave policy is, and if I'm coming back or not, etc. It's a lot to think about.

This is baby #1 for me so I have no idea when I will start showing. I want to tell before it becomes super-obvious. My mom, who has a similar build to me, says she didn't start showing until she was about 6 months. I'm 13 weeks now and have a little belly, which to me looks like an obvious baby bump, but which my husband says just looks like a normal belly. So, we'll see. My boss has had three children so she might notice before other people. On the other hand, she's kind of self-absorbed (not in a bad way) so maybe she won't.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Ms. Cellaneous, I am in a similar situation. First time mom, about 12 weeks along, not really showing yet. I won't be leaving my job afterwards, but I want to ask for some time off. I had hoped to be able to get a lot of good work done last couple weeks and come up with a good plan, but the last 2 weeks were dreadful. A lot of things just went expectantly wrong, not because of me, just because of "life".

I had hoped to tell anytime now, but I am postponing hoping for better times to come....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.