Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Just thought I'd share my ideas/plans for telling family.  I will be just over 8 weeks at Christmas.  We are waiting until then to tell them (not because it's 8 weeks, but because I've always wanted to tell family at Christmas).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, here are the plans:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We will be in Chicago for Christmas with my husband's family.  My mother is flying out to be with us, but not my dad.  They are married, but he is staying behind to take care of the dogs and all that.  (We spent Thanksgiving with my parents.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>MOM - On Christmas morning (really early), I'm going to wake up my mom and tell her I wanted to give her her present in private because I went over the price limit (hubby's family is big so we set price limits on gifts).  She asked for a Pandora bracelet.  I got it.  I will give her the bracelet and then a charm for my birthday.  I will then tell her that I know she wanted a charm for my brother's birthday and Noah (brother's son), but my brother can get those for her.  Then I will take out one more box and give it to her.  It's a baby carriage with little rhinestones in it.  Hopefully she will "get" it.  If not, I will tell her I'm 8 weeks pregnant.  Her reaction will be the best present I have ever had in my whole life (minus the the little bean being in my belly and my DH of course).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>DAD - My parents joke that my dog (yellow lab) is their granddog.  I got a "Grandpa's Brag Book" and I'm going to put lots of pictures of her (my dog) in there.  Then on the second to last page, it will have her wearing a shirt that says "Big Sister" (I ordered a pink dog t-shirt on line that said this...so cute) and then across from that will be a page that says "Baby (our last name) Arriving August 2011".  I will ship it to him and tell him he can't open it until Christmas when we're on the phone together.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>DH's FAMILY - On Christmas morning, we will give everyone a personalized ornament that says "aunt", "uncle", "grandma", "great grandma", etc.  They will be given out at the same time and the instructions will be that they have to open them all at the same time.  Then we can watch as everyone pieces it together.  Our dog may wear her t-shirt to help give a hint.  Then we'll announce it officially.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am soooo excited.  I can't wait for Christmas!  I'm more excited than kid.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Bree</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
32 Posts
<p>We are trying to think of a Christmas surprise too. Our first idea is giving each side a framed picture of our first sonogram (which will be Dec 20th). But we're jokesters, so we were thinking of putting my single brother's name on the "From" section of the gift tag for my parents and his single brother's name on the "From" section of the gift tag for my husband's parents. Just for a little extra shock value! ;)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But, obviously, we'll keep thinking....</p>

·
Registered
555 Posts
<p>Those are such good ideas! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am so bad a secrets, so we put a Big Brother Tshirt on DS and had the fam over 2 days after I got my BFP.  We see both of our mothers often, and they'd know something was up if we didn't tell because I'm walking around like a zombie and not drinking any wine with dinner!</p>

·
Registered
155 Posts
<p>I'll be 8w6d on Christmas so I'm debating whether to tell my family (but not his) then or waiting until my husband's concert, where our families will meet in February, when I'll be 17w. It's hard to imagine waiting that long, though! Announcing it onstage in front of hundreds of people would be pretty awesome, though.</p>

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
<p>I'm trying to decide if I want to formally announce the pg with something special, or just be found out.  I'll only be 6 weeks.  I'm just very hesitant to do anything formal so early on.  But if they realize I'm not drinking and get suspicious...well, that's another story.  Ykwim?  </p>

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
<p>We have already told my husbands family over the phone, since we won't see them at Christmas. We are going to my parent's house, and I want to tell them in person. I made a Big Sister shirt for my girl, and am going to have her wear it on the plane, so when my parents come to pick us up at the airport, they'll see it first thing. I'm so excited!!!</p>

·
Registered
466 Posts
<p>reason for edit - nevermind - false alarm.</p>

·
Registered
616 Posts
<p>When I was pregnant with my first baby, we found out on December 9, 2001 and told everyone that Christmas.  We took a picture of ourselves with a sign that announced it.  With this pregnancy, we found out on December 8 (so I may end up with 2 kids with the same birthday).  I've already told my mom, kids and one of my brothers, and we are planning on telling DH's family on Christmas again, this year.  DH wants to make a card that says, "Oops, we did it again", but that's not my favorite idea.  Maybe we'll just make an announcement.</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts