Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! Took a second test today and it was also positive, so it's finally sinking in now that I am pregnant.

My question is: when and how did you tell your significant other?

I have known for two days and haven't been able to tell him. yesterday he had a bad day at work, and he didn't come home for lunch today. I am waiting for the right moment, but I'm afraid there won't be one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Honestly, my SO has told me many times in the past that he loved being a dad (he has a daughter from a previous relationship) and that he really wanted more kids in the future. So, it really wasn't hard for me to tell him or wait to tell him. I actually told him because I just couldn't NOT tell him anymore. We were in the car and I literally said "So, it's really early and I don't want you to freak out but... I took some pregnancy tests and they were positive." and he looked at me and was like "o.o....I'm not going to freak out. That's.... really exciting." in like a very forced calm voice, hahaha. It was hilarious. What I would say is, make a time you're going to tell him. If you know he has a stressful day, maybe when it gets home offer to buy a pizza (or a food he likes), grab a movie he would like and let him relax for a minute and then just tell him that you have some important, exciting, news. And then go for it. It will always be scary no matter how good to feel his day went or how awesome you feel, just have to "Nike" and do it! :) Good luck!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I remember the first time feeling like I had no idea how to tell my husband, who was living out of the country, and vaguely remember it seeming to be an awkward conversation (phone call) and not knowing what he was really thinking.

I don't remember how I told him the second time at all, in fact I don't much remember doing the test or anything! But the first two were planned and wanted and we waited a while for each so it shouldn't have been too surprising to either of us. (Well, that said, it was still shocking the first time it actually happened, at least to me!)

This time? We have two young kids and it's been a super busy summer. We're exhausted. We've literally DTD once in the last, oh, 4 months?! And I was pretty sure nothing could come of it. But I had a funny feeling about it the next few days and had a suspicion that things might have been different that cycle.

Thus one night about when my period was due I found myself unable to sleep and wondering if perhaps... Dug a leftover test from my last pregnancy out of the bathroom cupboard at 4am and sure enough..... Then, indeed, how to tell DH? I didn't think he'd appreciate being woken up for this so I was going to wait. But then he woke up to relieve himself and stumbled in while I was still sitting on the floor in shock. So that made it easy - and he was really excited, actually! (me, well, I wasn't really ready to be pregnant again yet.... But I know well enough by now it's something to cherish and will soon be over again...)

It will be what it will be and whatever the initial reaction, fortunately nature gives us some time to prepare! Good luck Tiffa... Thinking of you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the encouragement. I cleaned the house, put flowers on the table, and brought a pizza home for dinner. He came and gave me a hug after dinner.
I asked him if he loved me and he said "Yes. Why?"
I said "Because I am pregnant. . . "
To which he replied "I know. We are the most unlucky people. I mean because of the timing". (I guess he had found the tests that morning looking for something.)
Then I just cried while he hugged me. I know that when we finally hold this new baby none of the rest will matter. But right now we are having a hard time getting passed the fact that it isn't what we were planning for our family right now, that it is financially stressful (we are just getting settled into a new, more expensive city), and that in general we are just terrified of being parents to more than one. Of being a family of more than three.

Really our situation is much better than the first time around. I think I need to get to the doctor and see an ultrasound and hear the heartbeat to actually connect my head to what is happening in my body. Haha.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I have known for weeks but I waited because I was out of state with family. DH was supposed to fly up to meet me and the kids so when I got him at the airport there was a little onesie on his seat and a note pinned to it that said "Reserved for March 2016" and he was so happy. We got back to my mom's after everyone was in bed so I hung it up in the hallway to make the announcement to all my extended family visiting up there. It was pretty great .

·
Registered
31 Posts
I set the test on the back of the toilet, calmly told my husband that something is wrong with the toilet and could he go check it out. (He was playing Legos with our four children). He was gone a long time, and I started to wonder if he was really trying to fix the toilet or if he was just in shock and not coming out of the bathroom.
That's about as creative as I get.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I set the test on the back of the toilet, calmly told my husband that something is wrong with the toilet and could he go check it out. (He was playing Legos with our four children). He was gone a long time, and I started to wonder if he was really trying to fix the toilet or if he was just in shock and not coming out of the bathroom.
That's about as creative as I get.
Hahahaha, this made me laugh so hard because I can totally see my SO walking into the bathroom and missing the test for being on a toilet fixing mission. :lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a plain white onesie and wrote our last name and a 5, crossed it out and wrote 6, then March 2016. I taped it on the wall behind some of his clothes in his closet (we will be turning the closet into a doorway because there is a small bedroom on the other side of it that will be the baby's room) so he missed the test at first! He smirked and said "that's pretty specific!" because we had been talking about TTC soon and I was stressing it would take us a while to conceive. Then his expression changed and he asked if he was missing something, then pushed his shirts aside completely and saw the test. He said "you're pregnant? like, right now pregnant?!?! AWESOME!" and gave me the biggest hug and kiss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts