Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: teacozy

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ps. You should still wash you hands though, and I actually really like kale. ;)

·
Registered
5,075 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems to be based on this study: http://m.cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2016/06/14/cid.ciw354.full

Which shows really impressive results for HPV vaccine reducing infection, gebital warts and other pre-cancer signs (in most cases they are reduced by much more than 50%) but does comment that:

"The anticipated benefit of vaccination on HPV-related cancer rates cannot be fully determined yet, because of the long latency periods following exposure."

So reporting it as a 50% decline in cancer is incorrect, although all indications from the professionals working in the area suggest it could propagate forward to a more than 50% reduction.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of the media has either updated or got it right first time. For example Skeptical Raptor wrote that the study showed that "HPV vaccine effectiveness has been so high, that the rate of cervical pre-cancerous lesions has been cut in half."

Which is exactly what the study reports. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's good to know.
I once was a prisoner to anti-vax sentiment and did not get the hpv vaccination, against the recommendation of my doctor.
I asked for a good reason why I should get it - being that I am married and monogamous and have clear pap smear tests.
I was not thrilled when the answer was - because your husband might cheat on you one day!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts