Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making the very difficult decision as to whether or not to have my son vaccinated anymore.

He has had all his shots up to 6 months, and his 12 month appointment is this week.

At this point, I want to selectively/delay vaccinations. However, I'm not sure how this will affect us when he goes to school.

For exemption in Tennessee, does it have to be all or nothing? In other words, do you either have to get all vaccinations for school or no vaccinations in order to get the exemption? What have others done?

***Disclaimer: I don't want this to be a debate about vax/no vax. I just want information about TN's exemption laws. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Our first two had all their baby vaccines, before we knew any better (yes, I am now very anti-vaccine and it's hard being a RN and coming this far!). Our third has had none. Our first two go to a private Christian school and I filled out the TN religious exemption form (for those kinder. shots) and they were like 'thanks!' and no problems at all. I have learned you can NOT let anyone bully you, it's your child, your rights, and here in TN we are behind in all this yet catching up to other states. There are so many of us here that don't vax anymore at all, some get notices from the health dept 'reminding' them to vax-just throw it away, it's no ones business. Vaccines are so 'sticky' because they can pressure you to feel obligated to have them done so your child can attend school, yet they fail to tell you it's your choice, you DO have options and do not give you full informed consent on your options. Please check out the vaccine board here, it's awesome.

Some sites to help you:

www.thinktwice.com
www.vaclib.org/exempt/tennessee.htm
www.vaccines.bizland.com/pave2.html
www.lewrockwell.com/******/miller15.html this site is great for reasons to 'delay' until age 2!!!
http://www.poisonevercure.150m.com/d...y_practice.htm this site is for Christians, VERY good site telling about how aborted fetuses are used in some vaccines (their cell 'lines').

(not related to TN exemption, just FYI info that I hope is helpful to you!)
I hope this helps! At first, it's overwhelming because all our lives we are 'taught' that vaccines save lives, help people, etc but once you start really doing the research, you will find just the opposite on many vaccines. That the diseases they are saving us from, were already on the major decline before vaccines. It takes some time but delaying until 2 gives you plenty of time to navigate through the books, DVDs and information.

A fantastic resource is the Dr. Tenpenny Vaccine DVD!!!

The biggest thing to remember, if you are having ANY doubts, ALWAYS do your research and never let anyone pressure you into doing anything. You can always wait and do them later, but you can't take them out once they are injected. Always read up on your own too, don't take any one persons word for it

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!!

I'm going to check out those sites.

Do you think it will be a problem getting religious exemption with selective vax? I don't want to lie, but if it will protect my child then I will tell them he has had no vaccines.

How interesting that you are a RN and you don't vax. That really makes me think.

~Julya, Mama to David (age 1)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If you knew what my hubby did, you would be even more surprised
. Let me add, being in the 'medical field' did NOTHING for me in the way of true 'health' or anything preventative. I was taught, as most RNs are, the pharmaceutical way because THAT is how it truly is. You will get ALL your true and good info/research from impartial moms like who are here, moms who do their OWN research and haven't been one-sided due to 'training'.

I don't think it matters, we had our 6 yo get all the baby vaccines (again, we didn't question anything then) and then stopped them cold turkey and just filled out that form stating we aren't doing them, it's against our religious beliefs (which it IS, very true, but for many other reasons too). For our 3 yo, he has had none and will get none, but he's not in school yet so haven't had to deal with that. I will most likely get him in a preschool in the fall, I know of tons of moms who don't vaccinate and their little ones are in fantastic preschools so they are out there.

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
I didn't have trouble till my dd wanted to go to U here & they kept hassling for MMR, but she moved out of state & it became moot before I had to open a can of legal whoopass on them.

The rest of the school system (& hsing is very easy here, but you still need an exemption
) has been quite mellow to deal with (knock on wood).

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Religious and medical exemptions are the only two vaccine refusals allowed for by TN law. The vaccination record for schools reads as follows for religious exemption

This child is exempt from receiving required immunizations for religious reasons. A signed statement from the parents stating that immunization conflicts with their religious tents and practices is attached.

We then attach the following letter:

RE: Child's Name

To Whom It May Concern:

We, Ms. and Mr. DarkHorseMama, as the parents of the above named child are exercising our rights under the First Amendment of the US Constitution and Tennessee Statute TCA 49-6-5001 (b)(2) to receive Religious Exemption from Vaccination.

We are fully aware of the risks of not vaccinating as described by the Centers for Disease Control, The American Academy of Pediatrics, and the American Medical Association.

However, we have sincere spiritual beliefs that prohibit us from submitting to and receiving vaccinating agents.

Respectfully,

DarkHorseMama Mr. DarkHorseMama

Sworn and subscribed before me this ________ day of ____________________, 2006

Notary signature____________________________

Commission expires_________________________

Notary Seal:

The bolding above is not included in the letter, but it is the phrasing I use to fall under the religious exemption. My spiritual wellbeing is my religion, and no one is allowed to tell me otherwise. You don't have to have a notarized document, but I have found that it lends weight and purpose to the letter. It's worth it, IMO.

My DD was started on vax, but halted at the 12 month mark. DS has never been vaccinated. In the case of my DD, I simply leave off the information that she has received shots. Just a form of Don't Ask, Don't Tell I like to throw back at the government.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Thanks DHM, great letter! I like the notorized idea to add 'weight' because what it appears to boil down to is the person you are giving it too. If THEY want to make stink because of their lack of education, they might try. I have found if you are educated and strong in your convictions, then no one tries to mess with you. If you are nervous, willy-nilly about it all, they might try to strong arm you. At least this is what I have 'seen' from other parents talking about this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.