Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you heard of or used a TENS unit for pain management during labor? I recently came across an article referring to this and was intrigued! I am familiar with the unit as my mom used one for nerve pain. Logically it makes sense that it could work the same for labor pain, I have just not heard or seen anything else referencing it! I'm going to bring it up at my appt this week and see what she says!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Yes! I like it. I've used it on a birthing mom as a doula and I used it myself for my last birth, and my best friend swears by it. Gives dad something gadget-y to do.
It takes the edge off of contractions. The hospital here has them ready to offer women in labor, but I went to a further, tiny hospital last time so I rented my own. That wonderful hospital closed down so I'll be at the big central area University Hospital this time and they have plenty.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I also recommend sterile water injections into the back for back labor pains. They sting badly like bee stings when you get them but they last for about 45 minutes to help ease the back pain by confusing your nerves back there.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Dh has one, maybe I should plan on borrowing it....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes! I like it. I've used it on a birthing mom as a doula and I used it myself for my last birth, and my best friend swears by it. Gives dad something gadget-y to do.
It takes the edge off of contractions. The hospital here has them ready to offer women in labor, but I went to a further, tiny hospital last time so I rented my own. That wonderful hospital closed down so I'll be at the big central area University Hospital this time and they have plenty.
Fantastic! From what I have read you can only use it on your back during labor, which makes sense....but is it primarily for help with back labor? I think I would use it at home before going to the birth center primarily as I am planning on a water birth. I understand the general concept of it, but do you have any tips on when to start using it or any other useful bits?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
As soon as you want to take the edge off. It's a fairly straightforward device, it creates a buzzing vibrating feeling where the pads are and if you aren't in enough pain that will just feel annoying (at least if you press the "boost" button), but if you are in a fair bit of discomfort it will be a nice way to confuse the nerve endings there and take the edge off. It depends on what point in labor, as to how much of an edge they take off. If the pain is off the charts I would say the effects are pretty small but still worth the trouble of pressing the button. If it's early times still they can really make a discernable difference in the discomfort. But it's not a god send or anything.
I have always felt contractions in my lower back so I don't know if they help if you don't get back labor. I'm sure asking Google might help? :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As soon as you want to take the edge off. It's a fairly straightforward device, it creates a buzzing vibrating feeling where the pads are and if you aren't in enough pain that will just feel annoying (at least if you press the "boost" button), but if you are in a fair bit of discomfort it will be a nice way to confuse the nerve endings there and take the edge off. It depends on what point in labor, as to how much of an edge they take off. If the pain is off the charts I would say the effects are pretty small but still worth the trouble of pressing the button. If it's early times still they can really make a discernable difference in the discomfort. But it's not a god send or anything.
I have always felt contractions in my lower back so I don't know if they help if you don't get back labor. I'm sure asking Google might help? :)
Thank you! That is about what I was thinking but thought it was worth asking! Google really doesn't have a whole bunch out there about it, maybe because its so straight forward? Idk that I would pay to use one, but since I have one I can use for free I thought it might be worth a shot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts