Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My son wants to terminate his rights to his daughter, due to his ex is always bugging him. He;s paying his child support but she feels she's not getting enough.  He hasn't seen his daughter in several years because she always agrues with him. He would like to see his daughter but his ex always lies that she doesn't have the time.  In the meantime she has another child from someone else.  As a grandmother I haven't seen her either for many years.  She is very hurtful and states mean times towards myself and my family.  It's not fair that people are that way.  When they were together she kept my son away from his family we would have to visit him at his job.  What does a parent have to do to help my son.</p>

·
Registered
464 Posts
<p>I'm sorry you and your son are going through this. My ex likes to cause drama, too, but I was really clear with him that I would NOT fight with him another day because I am sharing my children with him and we are going to have a respectful relationship. It has been harder than anything I've done in my life, but I had to get strong. I go to counseling because he baits me and I've learned to stay calm and to speak with respect even when he's yelling at me or disparaging me in front of the children. I have been dealing with this for a year now, and I'm winning. We have a much better relationship. Our contact is minimal, but it's the best relationship we've ever had.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So my advice is for you and your son to get clear on having a  relationship with his daughter and find a way to do that while respecting her mother, no matter how awful she is. It takes time and effort, but you will both learn to be more loving and your granddaughter will know that you love her. That's worth everything.</p>

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
<p>Does your son have a legal custody agreement on file with his ex? That should guarantee him the right to see his daughter, and is not dependent on the ex deciding to find time to allow him. As far as her "bugging him," he can choose not to answer her calls (if he has a phone with caller ID) or e-mails. His daughter is a person he CREATED, who NEEDS him to be involved in her life.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Running away from his little girl because he doesn't like her mother is not the answer to this situation -- a trip to a lawyer or legal aid is.</p>

·
Registered
109 Posts
<p>How sad that you (and possibly your son) would want to give up on being a part of this little girl's life because her mother is difficult. I can't imagine. Unless your son's right to spend time with her has been legally terminated, he can go through the court to get an order for parenting time. He does not have to deal with the little girl's mom to much extent at all. Though honestly, part of me feels like if he is willing to walk away from her over this, he doesn't really deserve to be a part of her life. </p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts