Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A woman in my pregnant swim class is 33 weeks and starting to efface. Her birth center midwives got concerned and gave her a test to see if she'd be in labor within two weeks. She didn't remember what the test is called, but has anyone heard of this? Sounds screwy to me, but what do I know. Plus, I didn't know effacement was such a huge concern. I've only checked myself, and I'm pretty sure I'm a good deal effaced, but whatever, you know?

·
Registered
32 Posts
NEVER heard of such a thing, maybe its more of a "wives tale" kind of test...

Im curious of how you check yourself... Im only 35wks 3 days and SWEAR Im in the early stages, and noone wants to entertain my thoughts..Im also curious to see if Ive dilated with all the contractions Ive had...

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebemommy
A woman in my pregnant swim class is 33 weeks and starting to efface. Her birth center midwives got concerned and gave her a test to see if she'd be in labor within two weeks. She didn't remember what the test is called, but has anyone heard of this? Sounds screwy to me, but what do I know. Plus, I didn't know effacement was such a huge concern. I've only checked myself, and I'm pretty sure I'm a good deal effaced, but whatever, you know?
Its called the fetal fibronectin test.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it a reliable test?

Re: checking myself, I don't really know very well how to, I'm just kind of guessing based on what I knew my cervix to feel like when I was using a diaphragm. It's waaay flatter and softer, like it doesn't really feel like much anymore. Some people around here know more accurately how to check themselves though. Maybe somebody will chime in.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
This is a good reason not to check, and not to let your prenatal care provider check your cervix unless there is a clear symptom(preterm labor comes to mind). She could go to full term and be effacing and dilating slowly the whole time and if no one checked, no one would be alarmed. Then at the appropriate time she will labor and birth her baby.

Or she could get checked all along and be effacing and dilating and scaring the crap out of herself and her care providers when there's NOTHING WRONG. This can lead to interventions and monitoring, bedrest, etc that may be totally unneeded.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just googled the fetal fibronectin test. Looks like another one of these tests that gives you a great big maybe if it's positive.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
It's typically used for moms that are showing PTL signs, but why on earth she was checked for dilation/effacement at 33 weeks by a midwife, I don't know! Even my OB doesn't do it that early (I'm not allowing dilation checks period, btw).

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
Quote:

I just googled the fetal fibronectin test. Looks like another one of these tests that gives you a great big maybe if it's positive.
But at least if it's negative, you most likely won't be in labor for another 2 weeks. I have been having this test during my first pg, as my uterus is 50% of the normal size and I had alot of contxs and I had my first one this pg (this monday actually, as I'm getting tons of contxs this time as well)...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:

The FFN test is very reliable if it is NEGATIVE - meaning it can tell you with a pretty good amount of certainty if you WON'T go into labor in the next two weeks (so it is used to provide reassurance to women who are having symptoms of preterm labor or are high risk). A positive test is another story - basically it tells you nothing. I almost never order this test as a midwife because I feel like a positive test just leaves the woman with so much anxiety.

I recently blogged on a particularly disturbing new use of the test on the Lamaze blog. Check it out!

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I had two FF tests with DD because of preterm contractions. It's very reliable at providing reassurance that delivery WON'T happen within two weeks-- about 99% reliable. A positive result means very little though; you might go into labor and you might not. It's typically used to decide how aggressively to deal with preterm labor contractions-- if you get a negative result, it likely means the contractions WON'T lead to preterm birth, so everyone can relax a bit and spare the mom the aggravation and discomfort of tocolytics and steroid injections. Insurance generally will only cover the test before 34 weeks or so, since most practitioners won't aggressively attempt to stop labor occuring much after that point. It's being heavily marketed, though, for uses for which it is really not intended. Haven't checked that link out yet, amyro; I'm gonna now!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
The fetal fibronectin test also cannot predict premature rupture of membranes. I had as negative FFN just a couple of days before my water broke and I delivered at 33 weeks.

I'm wondering if the OB in question checked her because she was having more contractions than normal or pressure sensations? I asked to be checked when I was having tons of BH's at 25 weeks, to make sure I wasn't effacing. Then again at 32 weeks when the contractions started to feel different, crampier, like menstrual cramps. It worried me, esp. with a previous preterm birth. Turns out the crampy contrax were changing my cervix a little, no dilation but definitely effacement.

·
Registered
773 Posts
i also had a positive FFN at 29 weeks, due to pre-term ctx. it changed the way we handled the ctx and bedrest.

about 3 weeks later i was back in L&D and tested negative. (it gave me some reassurance)

and here i am at 39 weeks still waiting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.