Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of testing and monitoring is everyone going to do?

I feel like I'm in a strange position, because I've always refused almost all testing and minimized ultrasounds. But after a 15 week loss in February, I'm struggling to decide what makes sense this time around.

I had one ultrasound at 9 wks to be sure there was a baby in the right place with a heartbeat, and will do a NIPT (maternal blood test) soon. I'll also do the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. Other than that, I'm not sure. My midwife suggested I could do monthly ultrasounds to check cervical length, but I didn't have painless dilation, so I'm not sure there's much value in doing that.

Curious what you all have decided...

·
Registered
25 Posts
We are going to listen to the heartbeat with a fetoscope at all prenatal visits. We will likely have a 20w u/s, due to my GDM, but will decline all others, unless we make it to 41w, in which case we'll likely have to do a NST. We are skipping the glucose testing, and instead doing 4x/day finger sticks, which I started at 8w. No blood tests besides CBC and a1C, both now and at the end of the pregnancy. We'll do the GBS screen at 35w, but the mw allows me to do that myself, instead of doing it to me. Imagine that - treating a patient as someone who can take care of themselves! However, if it's GBS+, no abx, we have an alternate protocol that we'll follow, unless baby/mom shows signs of distress in labor.

No amnio, no CVS, no blood tests.

I'm 38, fourth baby, if that matters.

·
Registered
815 Posts
You know I am over monitored this time, lol. With my boys (7 and 10 years ago) I had an underground midwife and did almost no testing at all. No ultrasounds. I went to planned parenthood for an antibody screen but thats it.

This time, two miscarriages and 2 years of subfertility later, I am 4 ultrasounds in and have a doppler at home that I use every few days. I am confident with the science that quick use of ultrasound or doppler is safe and worth the peace of mind for me.

I'm doing a 1 hour glucose screen, mainly because I hate pricking my finger. We will do an anatomy scan at 17 weeks and just see what happens with the GDM and go from there. I have been a homebirth midwife for over 5 years and have had enough time and perspective shifting to feel fine with a more medicalized experience. With two super quick and normal homebirths in my 20s and my knowledge/confidence navigating the medical system, I think I will be fine at the hospital, if I end up needing to give birth there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's really interesting about your feeling comfortable with ultrasounds at this point LizaFava. I guess I should do my research again. I have read that doppler is stronger than imaging ultrasounds, and have avoided it because of that.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I've had 1 internal ultrasound to confirm heartbeat and will have NIPT in a couple of weeks in lieu of CVS/amnio etc. as a screening tool. I already gave up my blood at the first appoint. for whatever they look at with that initial blood taking. I'll have the glucose test and the 20 week ultrasound and other than that don't know. It's been a while since I've gone through this. My basic thinking is that I won't do anything physically invasive to the baby, but blood tests and dopplers/ultrasound (when really needed) I'm ok with.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the NIPT draw today. One thing to know for those who might consider it is that it is a screening test, not diagnostic. So even though it's supposed to be 99% accurate, I wouldn't do it unless I was willing to follow through with an amnio to be sure of the diagnosis. I can see how someone might choose to do it knowing they wouldn't do amnio, if they just wanted to be prepared.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
With DD I did nothing. No blood work at all, no glucose test, no GBS, no ultrasounds, nada. I'm not sure what I'll do this time. I have an appointment at 13 weeks and I'd like to make sure this thing has a hb. I did use a Doppler with DD once at 12 weeks and once in labor. I'm undecided about the 20 week scan. I'm likely to decline it unless my midwife feels very strongly. I'm using a different provider this time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts