Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read an article by dr. mendelsohn online in regards to the effectiveness of the tetanus shot. You can find it by going to <a href="http://www.ask.com" target="_blank">www.ask.com</a> and then typing in "tetanus vaccine, dr mendelsohn". The first hit is the article I'm concerned about.<br>
Is there anyone on this board who have decided against the tetanus shot based on reasons similar to the ones mendelsohn argues? Or does anyone know of a critic of this article?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I was very interested in the part that discussed side effects of the Tetanus toxoid specifically the part about peripheral neuropathy. I remember getting the DTP shot when I was five before kindergarten. They gave me the shot in my right leg, and by that night I couldn't move my leg. It was really numb and when I tried to put weight on it I felt like little hot needles were shooting through it. My mother told me I was just being over dramatic, but now I wonder if this wasn't just a bad reaction to the Tetanus shot. Now I wonder if children in my family are just prone to vaccine reactions in varying degrees. It would explain my reaction to the Dtp shot, my cousins autism, and my son's reactions to MMR and Hep B. Now I am sure I won't be vaccinating any more.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, it sounds like you had a pretty bad experience when you were so little. Unfortunate that your mom didn't take you seriously. There are so many cases like this that go unnoticed, maybe if all reactions were reported we would have a much higher number then is currently being presented in the litterature. Although long-term effects are by nature difficult to link to vaccinations, one can try to reason logically and assume that there is indeed a risk for long-term damage when it is obvious what kinds of short-term reactions vaccines do cause.<br>
I'm on a different vaccine discussion board as well, where appearantly all no-ers have been scared away by the dogmatic reasoning of the yes-sayers. It just amazes me that many people do not believe that there are any bad reactions stemming from vaccinations. I totally respect people who have decided to vaccinate, but to completely dismiss the dangers of vaccines as being nothing but lies, just baffles me. But I guess there's a reason why they choose not to accept those theories, fear maybe, or stubborness. Many do have experience with children who have gotten badly sick from a vaccine-preventable disease, and I think these are the people who are most likley do disregard unfavorable proof to the dangers of vaccines. I guess that's understandable.<br>
Well, back to the topic, I appreciate that you took the time to read it. What do you think about his statement that the shot might not be any more effective than tap water? The reason why I thought of giving my child the tetanus shot was because of the difficulty of always making sure that he doens't get a puncture wound, and if he would, I'd rather not feel the panic that it likely may cause. But now that I've read that the shot isn't very effective, well it totally changes my attitude about it. I don't know where to go from here. I wonder if there have been a controlled scientific study to determine its efficacy yet. If so, I'd love to see it.<br>
Which brings me to another question, have there ever been any controlled scientific studies to determine the efficacy of all other vaccines we have?<br><br>
Josefina.

·
Registered
19,126 Posts
This article is by Sandy Mintz, on the generally poor quality of vaccination research. She doesn't address efficacy, however, but side effects. The lack of real control groups (unvaccinated) is addressed.<br><br><a href="http://www.vaccinationnews.com/Out_of_Control/2003/Sept_9/OOC1.htm" target="_blank">http://www.vaccinationnews.com/Out_o...ept_9/OOC1.htm</a><br><br>
Deborah

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
morsan,<br>
I've just bumped up a thread for you<br>
It is called Awesome Tetanus Info...<br><br>
It may be of help.<br><br>
tracy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts