Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is a legal US resident, but not a US citizen, so she does not qualify for Medicaid. She does have CHIPS though, and she is wondering if it covers midwifery care in the state of Texas. Her first son was a cesarean, and her daughter was an at home VBAC in Alabama. She is wanting a midwife again for this birth, but doesn't have the money to pay for midwifery care herself. Any information you give me would be helpful. Thank you!
-Emily

· Registered
2,021 Posts
I don't know anything about Texas, but thought I'd say that here in Oregon, if you are low income and pregnant, you DO qualify for your prenatal and birth care to be covered by our state insurance (medicaid), regardless of your legal status. Once the birth is over, of course, it's a different matter.

But, my husband seems to think this is a federal law, since it is in the government's best interest to have all women, regardless of their legal status, cared for, during the birth at least.

I'm not so sure if this is the case, and maybe your friend has already looked into it. But, just so you know, it might be worth investigating further.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.