Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are moving in to our home in San Antonio on the 5th of May. DH just got my square foot garden beds all set up at the new house but with us doing the move & closing on the house I won't be able to get anything in the ground until the 6th or 7th. I am a newbie to gardening & coming from a climate where nothing gets put in the ground until Memorial day.<br>
What can I still plant at this point? Are there any good basic lists as to what I can plant when (Like I said I'm a newbie gardner)<br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
843 Posts
It's late to be planting most veggies (peppers, squash, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.). You might be able to pull it off if you got some really big started plants of those varieties - especially the cherry type tomatoes. We're on the back end of the melon planting time so you might be able to eek out some small melons. You can still plant okra and pumpkins.<br><br>
Check <a href="http://www.farmingforartists.com" target="_blank">this</a> site for a garden planner that gives you planting timelines based on your location.<br><br>
zmom

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm a couple of hours north of you on the interstate. I have read about planting fall crops of tomatoes and peppers mid summer, so may should be fine if the plants are established. Small melons may work. That's such a HOT time of year to start plants! Pumpkins, I don't know about any other squash family plants. strawberries? the everbloom kinds may work. Herbs? Basil likes summer, right? If nothing else you can just plant a few flowers and AMMEND that soil with manure and compost for your cool season veggies!<br>
good luck! (btw, also a newbie!)<br>
jess

1 - 3 of 3 Posts