Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am specifically wondering if most on here would consider it TF to use the crockpot? I have the chance to get one and am wondering if it would be good to make broths in? IS there anything bad about using one?

SOrry if this has been beat to death already, I looked, but don't have a ton of time to search today and I need to decide today or tomorrow!

TIA so much!
:

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
only thing bad I know is some have lead. it you get a lead free one, very TF. (think about it. its like a pot simmering over a fire all day, either close to the fire for hot, or away from the fire for lower. or putting a pot in a brick oven. very TF)

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I finally ended up getting an All Clad crock pot because it was the only one I felt truly confident didn't contain lead. Granted I cried over the price...

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It's the crock. Either the glaze or the ceramic itself (can't remember which). From my research, all brands except All Clad have lead--it's just a matter of how much. Hamilton Beech claims they don't but honestly I don't believe them. The are some of the cheapest crock pots and the other brands claimed they didn't have lead either until they were independently tested then it got changed to lead within "acceptable" limits. Personally I don't think there any acceptable level of lead in my food.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
It's the crock. Either the glaze or the ceramic itself (can't remember which). From my research, all brands except All Clad have lead--it's just a matter of how much. Hamilton Beech claims they don't but honestly I don't believe them. The are some of the cheapest crock pots and the other brands claimed they didn't have lead either until they were independently tested then it got changed to lead within "acceptable" limits. Personally I don't think there any acceptable level of lead in my food.
I'm curious where you got the info about All-Clad. I couldn't find anything on their site.

As for Hamilton Beach, someone on another list I'm a member of said that her WAPF chapter sent a HB crock off to a lab and had it tested. They figured the white crock would be less likely to have lead, so that's what they sent. The lab determined it to be lead free. This was the same lab that exosed the other crockpot manufacturers.

Also, I had a very old HB, and I used it pretty regularly, and I also have my hair tested twice a year, which includes lead. I didn't not ever have high levels of lead, and the levels didn't rise. So, I'd say that my old crockpot didn't have lead. Based on these two things, I recently purchased a new one (to replace the old one that broke after about 15 yrs of use). We'll see if any lead shows up in my hair, but I'm pretty confident that it will be fine.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Sigh.

WHY is everything so complicated!?!?!??!!?!

In reference to the lead content of Crock Pots - and the lead content in goodness knows what else, and the myriad other health consequences of PRATCIALLY EVERY OTHER CHOICE WE MAKE!!!!!

Argh... sorry, OP, to have my last-straw overload blowout on your thread.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'm with you guys on this one! I'm so tired of it all. As soon as I figure things out, here comes another thing to think about! Arghh! Somebody make it stop!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
SO with you on all that. hmm the white hamilton beech? *tries to remember to look that up tonight.* or heck, I'll do it now

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
honestly I don't care if the crock pot is considered "TF" enough.
it's a lot more effiecient and economical to use than a pot simmer over a stove all day. it cooks even and low. it doesn't burn. it has no aluminim or what have you. and if I didn't have one, I wouldn't cok half as much as I do. it may not be a "traditional" method... but neither is the grocery store, the mass producing of veggies (even organic), or electricity... but i used those too.

in my camp, it's a good thing!!

as far as lead, I hadn't heard that. I will look into it! surely I woudln't want to use one with lead... but then I would just replace it with a non-lead one. I wouldn't get rid of the crock all together for anything!

·
Registered
210 Posts
In my opinion, there are always going to be unhealthy chemicals and such in the stuff you use to cook with. I am not going to kill myself with every little thing like lead in crockpots, people are exposed to worse just living day to day life. Why obsess about it? I have a Rival Crockpot and it has a black crock, I am considering getting a bigger one and will probably buy one in white because of what I have heard. But I am not going to stop using my crockpot because people say it contains lead, I haven't heard of anyone getting poisoned from using a crockpot.

I think they are very TF friendly and are much easier to use and monitor then a pot on the stove. I use my to cook fryer chickens with onions and garlic and make beef stews along with spaghetti sauce. I can't imagine not having one in my kitchen it makes life so much easier

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.