Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,<br>
I have been following a TF diet for a couple of months now and was feeling absolutely wonderful. However, today I started to develop mastitis and am currently feeling very ill. I only had mastitis one other time in the 2 1/2 years I have been bf and I was under some stress at that time.<br>
My question is ... do you think a TF diet contributed to mastitis? I have read that a diet high in sat fat is a risk factor for mastitis.<br>
Also, any natural remedies that you know of to help me kick this w/o antibiotics would be helpful.<br>
Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have gotten rid of mastitis by taking extra co, vitamin c, and egg lecithen. Most lecithen sold is soy but you can find it made of egg yolk. I think I took two pills four times a day but I don't remember the exact dosage. I had heard of it on the breastfeeding board and it really worked. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I don't think I buy the idea that a TF diet would cause this, but I have nothing to go on but a gut feeling.<br><br>
I've had mastitis 3x with this baby. And I recently managed to head it off. I use hot packs (rice in a sock, sewed up - microwave it - it's the only thing I use a microwave for these days), lots of sodium ascorbate (or even better, the fancy-shmancy lypo-spheric vit. C), and <i>lots</i> of raw garlic. And I nurse a lot, and pump on that side after ds is done, to empty the breast as much as possible. It never lasted more than 12 hrs. for me. Oh, and don't forget rest! Very important. Just go to bed with babe, although that may not be as easy with an older one. Still, get as much rest as possible.<br><br>
Hope it clears up quickly!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I do not for one instant believe that a TF diet has ANYTHING to do with mastitis - it just doesn't make sense that traditional people were afflicted with a pandemic of mastitis and no historian has ever thought to mention it. On my birth board I am the only one eating TF and just about all of us have had a bout of it at some stage.<br><br>
My episode was brief and caused by my daughter suddenly going from 8 feeds a day to only 5. I realised what was happening and managed to get it under control within a couple of days and avoid a visit to the doctor. I showered lots and ran the hot water over the affected breast while massaging and expressing. I fed baby on the sore side lots and lots (grit your teeth!) and took it easy.<br><br>
Kellymom has some great info on this: <a href="http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/natural-treatments.html#mastitis" target="_blank">http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/natur....html#mastitis</a><br><br>
I hope you feel better soon - put your feet up!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
i tried everything and finally got rid of it by drinking lots of raw applecider vinegar. it is a ferment and i'd immagine other pickles would work as well, but cant be sure. I read it as an old farm remedy for mastitus in cows. I add 1 tbs of acv and 1 tbs of honey to each glass of water i drank. it was the only thing that finally made it go away. I like to get in the bath and express. hot soaks b4 nursing will make the nursing more effective and cold soaks afterwards help it feel better.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone<br>
Gilamama,<br>
I saw this is one of you other posts and bought some ACV yesterday. I choked it down 3 times yesterday with extra vitamin C and raw garlic - today I have no fever and I am much less sore. Thanks for the great tip. BTW, how many times a day do you recommend you drink ACV and should I keep drinking it over the next couple of days?<br>
TIA

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
i wasnt sick when i started but my breast wasnt back to normal. and the improvement was a surprise that iwasnt expecting b/c i wasjust drinking it for the general benefits. i never drankmore than 2x a day but i like it. glad you'ra feeling better

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have had mastitis more times than I can remember. Mostly when I was a low fat vegan. Even had it on my wedding day! The fastest fix for me has always been homeopathic phytolacca decandra. Dose yourself all day, and you should feel mostly better in a day or so. I swear it's like magic!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I second the homeopathic phytolacca! If you keep it around, and pop some when you feel a tingly milk duct, you should prevent it every time. I have also had accupuncture for a severe lump right under the aereola (one inch long!) and he prescribed a chinese herbal formula. One can also use fresh pokeberry root (phytolacca is the homeopathic preparation of the root), but it is POISONOUS if used improperly. I did an infusion of it, a scant 1/2 teaspoon (peeled and finely diced) per cup of water. It did help a lot though. A strong nettles infusion is also good for mastitis, and in general to keep lymph flowing. Why oh why don't I drink it every day? I'm making some in the morning. . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts