Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My son's birthday is on Friday. I have never made him a cake and this year he really wants one. I couldn't find an allergy friendly cake recipe in Nourishing Traditions. Can someone please help me with a recipe which is gluten and dairy free???</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have on hand buckwheat, oats, rice, and arrowroot. I was wondering if I could make Sue Gregg's Pancake recipe but just bake the batter like a cake? Is there any reason I couldn't? Or will it not rise to a proper cake consistency? I really don't know that much about baking. I usually soak with vinegar since I cannot use dairy right now. Oh and I guess I would need to add sugar to the recipe.<br><br>
Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
<p>I've usually made the carrot cake recipe with GF flour, but we can use dairy.  Can you guys use almond milk?  I imagine coconut milk would taste kind of weird in carrot cake, but I can't use it myself, so I don't know.  Carrot cake is awesome as a GF cake because the consistency is still the same.  I usually end up adding a bit more carrot.  You  could definitely use the flours you have on hand as a blend. </p>

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
<p>Does it have to be soaked?  I know that for a birthday, a real good cake is a treat and unsoaked is 100xs better.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Can you do eggs?</p>

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>It doesn't have to be soaked. We can use eggs. I would like to make a powdered sugar frosting for the cake with chocolate. So I guess I would like a white or yellow cake.<br><br>
Thanks!!!</p>

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
<p>The fact that you can use eggs makes a way better cake. I don't have a specifc recipe, but you could just google a yellow cake and sub the flour with a gf sub.  My favorite is tapioca flour and sorgum- half and half.  We use maple syrup in place of sugar and it always comes out great.  Perhaps reduce the liquid a tiny bit to compensate.  To make a healthier frosting that is dairy free, I use<br>
cocoa powder, a small amount of tapioca flour, hemp milk or whatever (water could even work), and sweetener, and palm oil.  Heat low on stove so the tapioca starts to thicken, but not too much since it can form a terrible rubbery texture.  Then I refridgerate for an hour and it is so like regular frosting.</p>

·
Registered
355 Posts
<p>Black Bean Chocolate cake.<br><br>
24 hours prior to making this cake, soak 2 cups of black beans in water, with a little bit of raw whey added.<br>
Cook and cool the beans in fresh water, prior to making the cake.<br>
(Beans may be cooled quickly by rinsing with cold water)<br>
This method assure that your beans will not cause gastric issue of any kind.<br>
If you do not have dry beans available to you, you can use one can of rinsed black beans,<br>
However, I cannot vouch for their not causing gastric distress.</p>
<div style="text-align:center;">On to the recipe!<br>
In your blender, combine the following.<br>
1 1/2 cups of cooked and cooled beans<br>
3 farm fresh eggs<br>
1 tsp of vanilla<br>
1/2 tsp of sea salt<br>
6 Tbls of cocoa powder<br>
1 tsp of baking powder<br>
1/2 tsp of baking soda.<br><br>
Blend until smooth.<br>
Add the following ingredients.<br>
3/4 cup of honey<br>
7 tbsp of warmed butter (you may use coconut oil instead)<br>
2 eggs.<br><br>
Blend again till smooth.<br><br>
Pour into a buttered pan that has also been "floured" with a bit of cocoa.<br>
Bake until center just springs back when pressed.<br><br>
Allow to fully cool, and ideally, let sit for a few hours prior to serving.<br><span style="display:none;"> </span></div>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts