Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom is doing the whole Thanksgiving feast this year. I asked what I could bring and she said some kind of salad. I'm trying to come up with something today, so I can shop for it tomorrow. She's making green beans for my boys, so a green bean type of salad is out. Any ideas/recipes?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some kind of vegetable one seems to be what she requested. She's already doing a cranberry one and she's the only person that likes sweet potatoes.

·
Registered
365 Posts
A regular green salad is always nice imo. Add toasted nuts, bleu cheese, dried cranberries or slices of pear.

Or how about a butternut squash "salad"-more like a side dish. Peel squash, cut into cubes and roast till soft but not falling apart. Toss w/red onion, dried cranberries, maple syrup, olive oil and thyme. Maybe pepper too.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by neptunemama View Post
A regular green salad is always nice imo. Add toasted nuts, bleu cheese, dried cranberries or slices of pear.

I am making something like this. Mixed baby greens, dried cranberries, sugared toasted walnuts or pecans, probably some pear or apple. Will get some cheese to offer on the side and some balsamic vinegrette salad dressing. Maybe a little shaved fennel too? Might try a sample one that way and see how it tastes

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
my favorite dinner salad for fall/winter is:

baby greens or lettuces
sliced pears
walnuts
mild feta cheese
any vinegrette dressing on top

simple and yummy

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
my favorite dinner salad for fall/winter is:

baby greens or lettuces
sliced pears
walnuts
mild feta cheese
any vinegrette dressing on top

simple and yummy
When I ate cheese, I did this with goat cheese instead of feta with a raspberry vinigrette.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hmm, I can think of a few
Pear and goat cheese
Roasted beets and goat cheese
Pomegranates and Pears
Pomegranates and Beets
Apples and Goat cheese
Pine nuts and pomegranates

I would add some kind of nut, sunflower, walnut, slivered almonds, etc, etc and a good vinagrette, raspberry or orange? Served over baby greens, spinach, baby rocket, or maybe even arugula or butter lettuce?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
When I ate cheese, I did this with goat cheese instead of feta with a raspberry vinigrette.
i get an israeali sheeps milk feta that is to die for. it's the mildest and best tasting feta i have ever had! even people who hate feta love it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm doing a beet, pineapple, garlic, lemon juice and walnut salad that's yummy. Our green salad will be greens with pear pieces, Oregonzola (incredibly yummy Oregon raw milk Gorgonzola) walnuts, and a balsamic vinaigrette.

I've got to try that butternut squash "salad"...yum!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts