Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

The Thanksgiving holiday is a new holiday for me. So far I've eaten some of the side dishes when we've been invited out. But what about you? What do you have instead of the traditional turkey?

Looking forward to your tasty replies.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tofurkey! Yum.

I'm not big on the thanksgiving holiday (for some silly reason I can't get behind a holiday that glorifies the slaughter of millions of turkeys, for ONE day of gluttony in America
: ) ... but I love looking forward to a tofurkey (this is the only time of year we buy one).

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
squash soup!
stew with dumplings on top.

We tried the tofurkey 2 years ago, the meat-eaters in the family said never again! We also tried cooking a turkey for the meat-eaters, but the cleanup is really awful
We won't do that again!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Since we're going to my aunt's house, which is loaded with meat-eaters, we'll be sticking to the veggie side dishes. (We aren't vegan, so we can eat the mashed potatoes, etc.) If we were to cook here, I was planning to make breaded, pan-fried tofu, and make a pan-gravy with the drippings. Not very healthy, but
I would also probaby make the Honey-baked Lentils recipe that was posted here on MDC. Another

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
I'm going to make a stuffed acorn squash and bring it to my SIL's house where they will all be eating turkey and sides that are filled with stuff I can't eat (I don't do dairy). I just saw a good recipe for chestnut stuffing so I think I might make that one to stuff the squash with. And I'm thinking maybe some sort of gravy to go over the top too. Yumm.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Well, I'm making the pumpkin pie so egg-allergic DD can have some, too; I got festival field roast from Whole Foods as a substitute entree for DD and I (everyone else in the house eats meat and DH is in charge of that), and some mushroom gravy to go with the field roast and the stuffing and/or potatoes DH may make.

I'm also making cranberry sauce, but that will be for on our pancakes for breakfast Thanksgiving morning!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts