Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
At the other end of the spectrum...I just heard, out of the mouth of a co-worker's daughter whom I had just met like 30 seconds earlier, "Wow, you're too small to be 17 weeks pregnant, are you sure everything's OK with the baby?"...great, thanks, just what I needed to hear when I have another week and a half to wait before the next u/s! Ugh.
:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Argh. I can't tell you how many times I got those comments last time. At 5-6 months people were CONVINCED I had to be having twins because I was just "too big otherwise."
I'm looking to be growing just as a big a belly this time too. I can't wait for the armchair belly experts to come out of the woodwork.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by midwifetx
I'll share with you my favorite shock-a-roo answer.

"Yes, one VERY BIG BABY I'm going to birth at home with no drugs."
Good one! Filing away for future use...

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
I got that today. I'm only 15 weeks but apparently look *much* further along. I probably won't have a big baby--DD was only 9 lbs 1 oz @ 39 weeks and I don't consider a baby to really be big until it hits the double digits.

·
Banned
1,548 Posts
A few days ago, I was at the corner store I go to often, and the manager on duty told me that I appear to be losing weight, and I look great. I laughed in her face, and told her I'm over 14 weeks pregnant (15 weeks tomorrow, and no, I haven't had much morning sickness). Then, as soon as I left the store, I ran into 2 friends who I hadn't seen in about a month. They know that I'm pregnant. They gave me a big hug, then stared at me, and asked if I was still pregnant, or if I'd lost the baby (they're single men with no children of their own, so I forgive them for such a stupid comment).
: They said I looked fabulous, thinner, and the only thing that's appeared to grow were my boobs.
Then, the baby's daddy came over (same day, mind you), and he told me I looked like I was losing weight.

Meanwhile, I feel huge.
I can still squeeze into my prepregnancy clothes. I do believe this is the furthest into a pregnancy I've been able to wear non-maternity jeans. But, it depends on the clothes I wear, whether I appear pregnant or not.

Give me another month and I'll be massive, though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think some people just don't think before they speak!! A co-worker asked me this week, "You look too thin to be 4 months pregnant. Are you sure you're eating?" Then, she went to a mutual friend and said "I think Traci is losing weight. She admitted to it. I think she may have an eating disorder. That can't be good for the baby."
She is our company gossip and we love her anyway, so I just ignored it.
I assure you I do not have an eating disorder and the scale confirms it. I'm up 10 pounds!

·
Registered
765 Posts
ugh. i've been in both situations, being told i'm too big AND being told i'm too small. with my DS, i was HUGE. gained 50 lbs, all belly. couldn't stop people from remarking on how big the baby must have been. now, at almost 16w with this pregnancy, i'm still not showing much and quite thin and i get "are you SURE the baby's okay?" comments endlessly.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I haven't gotten any comments yet this time. I'm not sure as to why that is, but I am guessing it's b/c I am now a SAHM and with my first pregnancy most, if not all, of the "great" comments came from collegues at work. I actually kind of miss the comments. I'll never forget a conversation with a child psychiatrist who asked me how far along I was when I was somewhere around 15 weeks. When I told him. He looked at my belly, looked at my face, looked at my belly, looked at my face, looked at my belly and then blurted out, "Are you SURE they have your dates right?!" with a little snort. Hmmm.... are you sure you have your social skills intact, pal?? The same week a therapist said to me, "ARe you sure you are pregnant, you really don't look like you are. (trust me I was huge. With a total weight gain of 45 lbs) When I pulled my shirt close against me, she said, "Oh yeah. now you finally do." People are SOOOO weird. In the moment is feels awful, but afterwards it makes for GREAT stories!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
THROUGHOUT my first pg, people kept incredulously asking me if I was *sure* I wasn't having twins. Then, even after I told them about two ultrasounds with one baby, many of them related stories of surprise twins that didn't show up on u/s. One woman even consoled me, "It's okay if you're having twins, hon, 'cause after that one baby will seem like a treat."

The worst, though, was the night my water broke and I went into the birthing center to have one nurse strap on a fetal monitor and say, as she's feeling my belly, "Whoa, this is going to be one HUGE kid!" I was like, "Hello? Do you realize I am in the process of giving birth to this baby right now?" I was glad that was the last I saw of her! For the record, my little tiny son was barely over seven pounds and 19 inches long. He's been in the tenth percentile for height and weight since birth!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
People are so rude. This is one of those kindergarten rules -- "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!" I'm sorry, mamas
You are all fabulous embodiments of the fertility of humanity, growing your babes in the correct, individual way made specifically for THEM

Me, I haven't had any comments about my belly at all yet. Considering I work at a women's clothing store that caters to older women this is especially surprising. They all probably just think it's belly pudge rather than my baby hanging out in there. Oh well, I'll keep my comment-free status as long as possible!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I just got home from a month-long trip. We hadn't told very many people about the pregnancy before I left. Last night hubby and I went out to see a play that he had worked on and I knew I would run in to a number of aquaintences so I wore a low cut top and a decent bra. They were too busy checking out my cleavage to notice and comment on my bump

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.