Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not plant vegetables in my garden. We have a tiny city garden and although it is sunnier than any garden I have had before, is still in the shade of the house for much of the afternoon. There is an enormous vegetable garden at my in-laws so I put in allot of time there and reap the rewards. I do, however, make compost so last year I noticed a number of what I was pretty sure were pumpkins coming up in my flower beds. I was continually plucking them out. I was impressed by their stubbornness and since I was pretty sure they were children of my recently deceased father-in-law's pumpkins, I let one live. It romped through my beds, looping across the lawn, through the fence into the neighbours and back again. It had big beautiful orangie flowers and was a welcome sight in a waining late summer garden. It even produced two pumpkins: one in my neighbours yard which she really appreciated and one in ours. So this year same thing started to happen so I let a couple of them live. WELL, I've got two butternut squash vines, a watermelon vine and a renegade tomato plant! I can't wait to see what comes up next year.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, we ate one of the butternut squashes and YUCK! I knew it wouldn't be true to the original but I thought it would be edible. The texture was gross, really dry and kind of potatoe-y. I roasted and pureed it into a soup and could still feel the texture.

So next year I am going to plant squash and pull the rogues (good word!). It's such a satisfying thing to grow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.