Mothering Forum banner
101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Okay, I guess it's time to update a bit...

Just a quick question or two: on the SA, does gm=grams? It says 1/4 tsp = gm.
Also, my nd said she would be comfortable with me doing one Iodoral a day (12.5). But I just finished Dr. Brownstein's Iodine book and I'm thinking I need more...the hypothroid symptoms, fibrocystic breast tissue, ect...
I had no changes when introducing one iodine tab so how fast should I go in raising it?
I am experiencing detox/yeast dieoff with the mycostat. I am taking SA and salt to help with that (headaches, achiness and scratchy throat), but not sure how to do a salt flush?
yes, gm = gram, so there are 4 grams per teaspoon for your SA.

I noticed improvement in some of my hypo symptoms with 1 Iodoral, the other symptoms, I think, needed the other nutrients (which I think you're already doing). I'm okay with the slow-and-steady approach with the Iodoral, just sticking with 1/day for myself because I'm focusing on other things right now. It depends on how you want to spread your focus and how you feel. If you feel icky already, I'd probably delay a bit, it's just hard to get through the day otherwise.

Salt flushes like this...
http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/b...trategies.html
on the right-hand sidebar, but I've read that 1/2 tsp is more helpful than 1/4. I think the salt flush is supposed to help with the bromide, specifically, so if you started the Iodoral with no issues, then bromide may not be a biggie for you. Though if you raise the dosage of Iodoral, I guess it could start.

I do vitamin C flushes to help with general toxic load stuff, I use Perque's vitamin C and basically do what they say on their website (read the whole document if you do it)...
http://www.perque.com/pdfs/Pt_Ascorbate_Slush_FIN.pdf

Might help with some of the symptoms you've got now.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannic View Post
It's been a little over a week...okay, I'll slow down. How do I make less? Don't I have to keep feeding it? Thanks for the info for dummies, lol.
I use the same amount of water and sugar with whatever quantity of kefir grains I have. I just end up with less kefir to drink ad they reproduce and I store it in the refrigerator between culture times, to slow down the fermentation.

So, I add the stuff for making kefir, ferment 24-48 hours, then store all of it in the refrigerator (undrained) until I use it up. THEN I make another batch. (less than a week of storage) (I drain what I need for the day, leave the rest in the refrigerator.

Here, let me find my "lazy kefir" directions.

Pat

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Ok, these are my milk kefir instructions. My water kefir instructions are on the hard drive on the crashed computer. They are fixing it tomorrow.
:

Quote:
Here are my easy kefir instructions:

KEFIR

I'm a laissez-faire kefir maker.

I use the same jar, regardless of amount of grains, and ferment until I remember they are in the cupboard. Sometimes 24 hours, sometimes more- 48 hours. Then I put the jar in the refrigerator and just strain off what I want each day. When it gets low, I pour off the last of the kefir. Then, I put all of the grains, regardless of amount, into a clean jar, add milk and repeat.

I believe the milk kefir seems creamier, if it continues a slow ferment at colder temps, after the initial ferment. Then about every 4-7 days, I'll make a new batch with fresh milk, in the cupboard.

I heard that you can make the grains grow faster by adding some kefir to the new milk and grains, leave to ferment longer, with "extra" milk than the "1:7 ratio". My grains reproduce quickly, not worrying about any ratios.

It is so much easier than I thought initially! I was worried about "leaving milk on the counter, unrefrigerated". But, you can leave it up to about a week, before you kill the grains with too much lactic acid and alcohol build-up. And the kefir would be more sour. But, really, the timing is totally flexible. The longer it is fermenting at room temp, the more sour. Just add a bit of maple syrup and drink up.

1. Pour kefir grains into clean jar.

2. Pour milk into jar with grains. (1-2 cups)

3. Leave in cupboard for 24-48 hours.

4. Refrigerate

5. Strain grains. The "liquid" is kefir.

Repeat.

There is a bunch of info about kefir on Mothering.com at "Got Kefir?" http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=203282

It has been shown that consuming probiotics the four weeks before and after birth decreases the incidence of eczema, allergies, and asthma by 50%, according to a new study in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. http://bastyrcenter.org/content/view/611/

Kefir has 37+ beneficial micro-organisms living in a symbiotic colony.

Initially, to get the kefir grains out of the baggie, pour more milk into the baggie to 'wash' them out. They are sticky. Use any type of animal milk. Also, to make juice kefir, follow the link above.

Never give up on the grains. They are (practically) indestructible.
Pat

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Thanks, Tanya and Pat! YOu know, I started the mycostat, iodoral and water kefir all within a few days of each other. I did get a wicked headache at one point. I quit the mycostat for one day and it went away. I'm now up to three mycostat, 25mg Iodoral, and apparently, way too much kefir!
I do tend to rush into things...but I haven't had any symptoms other than a bloated stomach, which may or may not be related as I tend to bloat easily these days.
I do feel as if I've gained weight the past two months; not happy about that.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
My nd started me on naturethroid two weeks ago and I felt really good about it. I've gained nine pounds since MAY and I'm still really tired and sluggish. Well, that week, I lowered my iodoral to 25 mgs (from 50), added in Naturethroid and took kefir after a week off. Then began the panic attacks and anxiety and headaches AND so TIRED all the time. So we slowed down to one iodoral in the evening and half a grain naturethroid in the morning and I laid off the mycostat and kefir...we thought I was detoxing too fast.
Now I'm having worse panic attacks. I had kefir today (still only taking a tsp/day) and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm reacting to the water kefir? All my headaches correspond to kefir taking...could it bring on panic attacks(racing heart, jittery, nervous, weepy, ect)?

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts

I have no idea if kefir could cause that type of stuff, but it's absolutely worth stopping, at least for a week, I'd think, to see if that changes things. Have I mentioned the beauty of kimchee? If it's something specific about the kefir, and not a fermented-food thing, I mean.

I had to read your post about 5 times before I remembered that I know someone who does the anxiety-type reaction (acute anxiety, I mean) to too much/too fast detox-wise. Um, if that's the case, I'd think extra of things that help sop up, how much vitC can you take? Has that gone up lately? Any thoughts on the unpleasant (yet effective) vitamin C flush I linked above? I'd think extra mag too, I've been noticing I need more lately, a little odd for me, but in general normal. Maybe dissolve epsom salts in water and spray it on your skin for a while? For the sulfate?

Do you have anything specific for adrenal support? For some folks, the thyroid supps are a burden on the adrenals, though maybe the extra tiredness is just detox-related?

How much are you taking of things like B12 and the other Bs? Any reason to think you should bump it up, given how you're feeling?

Sorry, long list of questions, those are just the thoughts that occur. And I'm sorry you're going through a rough time, I've had time periods like that and wow, so not fun.

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Do you have anything specific for adrenal support? For some folks, the thyroid supps are a burden on the adrenals, though maybe the extra tiredness is just detox-related?
That was actually my first thought. Anyone going on thyroid medication NEEDS to be on adrenal support first.

ETA: I see it now. What's in the Adrenoplex?

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
One more thought, this flow chart....

http://www.understand-andcure-anxiet...Melatonin.html

When we mobilize toxins, do we deplete nutrients (trying to excrete them) and so we don't have enough left over to make nice stuff like serotonin and melatonin and such? So target both detox-specific nutrients and products, and also happy-nutrients, the ones that are in the chain that make serotonin and stuff like that?

Hoping one of those things will jump out at you. I've never supplemented 5-htp, but I understand some folks do for mood issues. Back when my mood issues were severe, I figured I had a prozac deficiency and treated accordingly.

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
One more thought, this flow chart....

http://www.understand-andcure-anxiet...Melatonin.html

When we mobilize toxins, do we deplete nutrients (trying to excrete them) and so we don't have enough left over to make nice stuff like serotonin and melatonin and such? So target both detox-specific nutrients and products, and also happy-nutrients, the ones that are in the chain that make serotonin and stuff like that?

Hoping one of those things will jump out at you. I've never supplemented 5-htp, but I understand some folks do for mood issues. Back when my mood issues were severe, I figured I had a prozac deficiency and treated accordingly.

I think we deplete nutrients trying to excrete toxins and then, because of that depletion, our body gets stressed and puts more of a load on the adrenals, so it starts pumping out more cortisol which requires a bunch of other nutrients for production. But when there's more cortisol, the body needs more <insert unknown bit here> which requires still more nutrients to build.... and the cycle continues.
So, I agree although I think that helping with the first 2 bits should cut it off at the pass, so to speak.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
that kind of anxiety is so hard to deal with. I'm sorry. My anxiety fluctuates on what supps I'm taking - too much of one not enough of another- throws me off. I'm doing Bs, Mo and mag to help me out.

GL

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Darn! I had a long explanation and it never posted.

Long story short: I saw my kinesthiologist yesterday and this is what she said:

My thyroid and adrenals have taken another hit, both low

Too much detox

Something I am taking is messing with the others

My liver is stressed

I need to take more time for myself

I have too much iodine circulating

She didn't want to rec anything because I told her I now have an ND and didn't want to step on her toes...
:

She said whatever I'm doing now is not working and I need to find something that will work. I felt panicky after seeing her...it was very uncharacteristic of her...I felt overwhelmed and hopeless.

I asked if milk thistle would be good and she said I shouldn't go throwing more things in to the mix. I thought milk thistle would be a very gentle way to support my liver...

So here's what I'm doing these days:

a whole foods multi
b complex
i was taking 12.5 mg iodoral--have stopped
1/2 grain naturethroid
adrenoplex
selenium
mag citrate
sa
real salt
a custom herbal tincture--not sure what's in it--I've been taking it the whole time.
water kefir one tsp every now and then--considering stopping
I also eat bubbies pickles and saurkrout (sp?)

I am agitated and tired and depressed.

Tanya, I'm going to check out that link right now, thanks.

Thanks you guys for your support! At least you GET what I'm saying!

eta: she showed me how to test my stuff myself, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work! i need crystal testing wizards or something.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
okay, Tanya...I looked at the c flush--can I use SA, or does it need to be a buffered one with the extra minerals? All I've got is SA.

Also, how do you make kimchee? Is it cabbage? I've been worried about eating too much saurkraut because of the goitregenic affects...

Plz pardon spelling--I can't seem to spell or think today...

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
adding some in about dd...just to keep track, tho comments are welcome.

Did I mention that I had dd on a sublingual methylb12 this summer? She has had anxiety, insomnia, and aggression/anger issues and I was rereading about it in Bock's book when it dawned on me that she may be one who reacts to it? Her symptoms matched perfectly and so I took her off. While, she isn't back to where she was, she is sleeping better, and the anger isn't as intense and the anxiety is dissolving. So what does this tell me about her methylation? I am so lost in this...

Also, a random ND that I was talking to mentioned l-ornithine for onsomnia (for short term) and it's worked really well...better than the melatonin--apparently it's a precurser? I think sleeping is hugely helping her moods as well. He mentioned that taking it over an extended time period can cause premature breast development, and that women use it to plump up their breasts, but a month or two to retrain her wouldn't be a problem. So far, so good...I only use it every other night...

On the down side, she is back in pullups as she wets nightly again...

ATTn: WhoMe: Could you help me figure out sulfation for DD so we can get eggs back so we can have pumpkin pie, plz? Funny this subject here; she just asked for p pie today and I said she could have some, not even thinking EGGS. You could post any suggestions in my thread, if you want. (pretty please!)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Lookinga at b12--I eat lots of meat, but gave up eggs when dd became intolerant to them--hoping to get them back!

I have eye tics since beginning iodoral in early July, fatigue, some brain fogginess, and I have had that sharp pain just under the ribs since beginning Iodoral as well. I really feel like it messed me up bad (or I had too much detox for my body to handle and haven't recovered). Still have the thrush in one breast since November. Have daily headaches (except today). Have quit all iodine supplementation, and mycostat and kefir. Had gluten and sugar last week, along with a ton of stress regarding dd's falling and almost breaking her arm and ran out of my adrenal support and custom liquid supp that same day. Dr is out of town and her supply of adrenoplex won't be in til Tues, so the soonest I'll have anything is Wed. I do have anxiety issues these days as well...

I ordered a few things yesterday--nettles, red rasp leaves, bentonite clay, coconut oil, Thorne biotin, prenatal, moly, b6, zinc, ect...

The yeast has me weirded out--I am craving sugar (tho this is more adrenals, IMO) and I just can't get rid of it...! I'm wondering if it's just an external fungal thing? I wish I could sun it, but I'd be a bit too exposed for around these parts...I've tried two homeopathic remedies for symptoms--castor aqui, which I proved and sepia, which helped with bearing down reflex, but not the thrush (and gave me a huge cold sore--seems to be my thing with homeopathics--the only time I get one is on a remedy).

Let me know what other tidbits of life history you want, Pat!

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
revived the kefir grains, just in case--anything should grow in this heat/humidity...

If it is yeast, should I worry about it mobilizing anything yucky? No vax, no abx, no amalgams...

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Ok, just reread the whole thread from the beginning. I took lots of notes. Most of my ideas, you've tried. I'm not clear what you are taking NOW, regarding Iodoral and Naturethroid. Did you look at the "inactive ingredients" in the Naturethroid?

The couple of things that I saw that concerned me were Vit D, Magnesium, Calcium, FOOD FOLATE, adequate fats, adequate protein, FOOD FOLATE, and FOOD FOLATE.

Have you tried Nux vomica 30c for the nausea/hypoglycemia/hypotension, et al. How are your stools, if you don't mind my asking regarding frequency, color, consistency.

Will come back with a page full tomorrow.

Sleep. (for both of us.)

Pat

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
on my palm, so forgive spelling...
wow, pat, you read my whole thread!? food folate, like from greens, right? i get some, not sure how much...i ordered thorne's folate...i take blue ice clo sporadically and live in a sunny climate, tho it's too hot part of the time.
i,m actually beginning to wonder if it isn't the naturethroid that is throwing me off...on half grain daily...no iodoral. taking what seems like tons of mag...maybe i need more as i,m stopped up these days. usually very regular in timing, but consistency varies between soft and dehydrated bm's, lite brown in color. goodnight.

101 - 120 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.