Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after going through another round with my ds to trim his nails. I wondered if anyone else has any tips to not make this such a battle. My dh has to hold ds down so I can trim finger and toe nails. We have tried singing and other distractions to make this easier but he alway ends up crying and screaming it hurts. Any ideas would be appreciated. I always feel bad that it is so stressful for ds.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
We've been through the whole nail-trimming struggles with both kids. All I can say is that it gets better as they get older. Dd (4) will now let me do her nails very happily if i tell her a story while I do it. With Ds I try to get someone to do a crazy dance (it has to be extremely crazy to keep his attention) and even then I might only get 2 or 3 nails done a day. Maybe some would be totally against this, but if I put a show on he will sometimes let me do it (or another 2 or 3 nails)

I have done it while they sleep on occasion, but mostly I am afraid of waking them up and getting them back to sleep is more of an ordeal than doing the nails!

For us, it was just something we had to get through... there were no magic fixes.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
It's slowly getting better here too but I've had good luck doing it while they nurse. I'm also too nervous about waking them up to do it while they're sleeping but have several friends who swear by that method! Good luck - their nails grow so quickly and are so sharp!

·
Registered
795 Posts
I also used to do it while she was sleeping. Now that she's 3, I've got her convinced it's fun (or at least tolerable)!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Let him "help" you cut your nails. Then with my son I let him decide which of his nails looks the longest or at least decide which nail he wants me to cut. Then sometimes I can cajole him into letting me cut a few more before he decides it is enough. We never finish in one sitting or even in one day.

Sounds like your ds might actually be afraid of having them cut which can happen. He might not distinguish yet that there is a difference between cutting a finger and cutting a fingernail. Getting him to help you with your nails might help that a bit. And yes it does get easier.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I usually do it while DS is nursing. Usually I might only be able to do one hand.

I've done it once while he's in a deep sleep. I've also had my mom do it while we're on a car ride and he's sleeping and she's sitting in the back with him. That worked great!!

On a side note, DH has been able to clip DS's nails before with luck... much better than I can.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Up until recently, I always clipped my 27 month old's nails when she was either nursing or sleeping. Just the past few weeks, she's gotten interested in watching me clip them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have not done it while he was sleeping for awhile because I don't want to wake him. I think I will try involving him more and see what happens. I'm glad to hear that this will get better with age.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I put in DS's favorite signing DVD and we sit on the couch that gives him the closest/best (in his mind) view of it, and I clip away.

Is it weird that my DS's toenails don't grow much? I've only had to clip them MAYBE 3 times in his life?? His fingernails on the other hand I probably SHOULD do weekly.

for those with girls...my friend does the girl she babysits (almost 4) and her own DD who's my son's age and then they do nail polish, it's a whole manicure session.
the older one I know loves it, the little one is learning...I've seen her show off the end result.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
My ds is the same age as yours. I've basically given up. I'm sure this is going to gross someone out, but I just stopped doing it. When his get longish, they will inevitably start to tear or break, and he'll let me pull the hangnail off. We wash hands really well with a nail brush, so dirt under the nails isn't a big issue, and a nightly bath in the summer gives them a good soak, so at least they're really clean once a day.

With his twin sister, I've had much better luck lately with a nail file. She will also occassionally ask to have santa claus cut her nails. I have no idea why. I have to say "ho ho ho" and talk about the north pole while I'm cutting. Who knows
:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by royaloakmi
She will also occassionally ask to have santa claus cut her nails. I have no idea why. I have to say "ho ho ho" and talk about the north pole while I'm cutting. Who knows
:

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Hmmm. We didn't cut ds's nails for months. A really long time. Occasionally his nails would get long and break a bit, and he'd come to us and we'd just pull them off the rest of the way. It never hurt him or bothered him.
Just recently he's been REALLY wanting his nails cut. Dp got them all cut, and ds wanted more done to his nails, so they did his toenails. He still wanted more done, so we got out the filing board. lol.

I don't know if ds is wierd, but his nails never got out of control. They were a bit long (just barely over the tips of his fingers) but nothing bad.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My sons were pretty long when we cut them yesterday. I wouldn't even bother with it but when he starts to get scratches on his face from them then it time to cut. Maybe I will try the video thing again. He did let me do it for a time while watching a video.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I cut my nails first if I need to. dd gets to see from an outsider's view how it works. (Mama's not hurt, sad or crying.) Then I let her know it's her turn. But honestly, we do it in stages. if she starts to become upset we are done. we rest and try again. sometimes it is a couple of days, but it gets taken care of and we enjoy most of a week without the sharp claws.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
Add me to the crowd who trim nails when the child is sleeping. It's the easiest way. DD has allowed me to trim her nails when she's awake but she is unpredictable. Her emotions can turn on a dime. She will be fine with the nail trimming one second and the next she wants to do something else.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I trim my dc's nails right after their baths since that "softens" them a bit. I just sit them (well only ds#2 the older 2 just stand ) on my lap and use cuticle scissors. It's never seemed to bother any of them.... maybe I'm just lucky
:

·
Registered
397 Posts
We file DD's fingers and toenails with an emery board. Have had no luck with trimming with nail clippers. I usually do it when she's watching a particular show she likes, or something on the computer (distraction is still key!)

HTH. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
I can only get my dd's when she's sleeping. My friend cuts most of the nail off and then lets her 2 year old rip it off. He loves it, lol. I tried it with my dd and she freaked out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts