Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we have a thread to talk about our older kids too? Have you told them, how do they feel?

And we can share some resources about preparing for birth, sibling relationships, etc.

My son is 2.5 and he seems really excited about the baby. We told him right away, and he talks about the "baby in my belly" and seems excited about babies in general these days.

The other day he saw a video of a horse giving birth and loved watching it again and again. We've also looked at some birth photos in one of my pregnancy books that he seemed interested in, and photos of how big the baby is, etc. I can't wait until he can feel the kicks, etc.

We're a homebirth family so I really want him to be at the birth. I hope my sister can time her visit perfectly so she can be here with him, I don't know who I would choose to be his "person" as a back up. I'm planning on showing him lots of birth videos and making him an album/photo book of his own birth that we can look at.

We have a book called "Welcome with Love" that he sometimes enjoys too. I've looked for good books about being a big brother, but haven't found a super good one (I'd love to find one about homebirth!! but at least that shows baby nursing, not taking a bottle, and just has a good emotional vibe, not just trying to kind of "trick" them into being excited about this huge transition).

Please share any great birth videos, books, etc as you find them or share them with your kids! We can all share together :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
My daughter is 4 and is very excited about the baby! We told her after our 7 week ultrasound since we thought it would be best to explain why I have been so sick. We explained that it would be coming in the summer and and she looked out the window the other day and saw the sun shining and told me that the baby was coming! I guess she chose to ignore all of the snow on the ground haha (we're in Canada).

She has never asked about siblings, so I wasn't sure how she would react, but now she talks constantly about how she is going to help with the baby and all of the things we are going to do when it gets here. She has been much more interested in other babies and playing with her dolls than normal. Its very sweet and I think she is going to be a great big sister.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I have a 9 year old, 7 year old, 5 year old and a 2 year old. They all officially know now. (the middle two didn't believe me when I told them and totally blew it off! LOL) We've had our last three at home unassisted and the older kids have always been present during labor and birth no matter what time it happens at, day or night (not specifically where I'm at, but just doing their thing around the house and always right when baby is born). We've never prepared them in any way, though, so I don't have any recommendations there.

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
My little ones are 13, 10, 8 and 5 and are all really excited. They were very very devastated when we lost our last baby so this has been a good healing experience for everyone. I don't feel like they really need much preparation just yet..and all but hazel, the youngest has been around a newborn. My son and daughter (oldest 2) are amazing big siblings . My 8 year old would like to be an only child. She may be the most challenged by a new addition. Anyways ...they were all born at home with a midwife and I always found it pretty easy to add a new human to our tribe.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
We told the older kids yesterday! Well the 4-year-old gets it but not the 16-month-old. We went in and heard a glorious strong heartbeat on the Doppler so we are making it official!

·
Registered
24 Posts
We told the older kids yesterday! Well the 4-year-old gets it but not the 16-month-old. We went in and heard a glorious strong heartbeat on the Doppler so we are making it official!
Yay! Congratulations! It is so wonderful to hear that heartbeat, isn't it?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts