Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello~
Has anyone had any experience with The Birth Home in Pleasanton, CA? We are looking into alternative birthing centers in the Bay Area.

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
I'm going to move this thread to the California section in the Finding
Your Tribe forum! you'll be way more likely to get some local moms
seeing your thread!
Welcome to MOthering by the way
ing

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi! Welcome to MDC.

I don't have personal experience with the Birth Home, but I can tell you what my midwife told me.

My impression of the place from what I read about on its website and other places, was that it was a good place for people who were just too scared of homebirth - maybe first time moms, people who were just not sure that they wanted to be out of the hands of immediate high-tech medical care. It seemed like you would have your birth there with midwives and it was nice and homey and there was a doctor there Just In Case.

When we interviewed our midwife, we told her we were also thinking about the Birth Home, and she told us that she had done some apprenticing there. She said it was less midwife-y and more doctor-y, and it was more like the midwives were backups, or maybe like doulas, and not the other way around.

So this is just based on what she told us. We decided that wasn't right for us. Now, if you still want a doctor but something less medical and more homey, that may be right for you. But if you're leaning more toward a homebirth, it may be too medicalized (if that's a word lol).

I would set up an appointment for an interview/tour, and see what you think.. read between the lines! And go with your gut.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
My SIL is birthing there. There are two ways to do it. One- through Dr. Bleecker, just go through the regular Birth Home folks, and the other is to use Motherwell Midwifery and birth there. You need to call Beah Haber at 925-449-7666 ( I THINK!) and set it up through her. It is not just for ppl to scared to have a hb, SIL would have a HB but her apt is not her ideal birthing environment, the Birth Home seems more comfortable to her.

I will be looking into apprenticing there in the near future. So pm me if you have any questions.

Lauren

·
Registered
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by veganmamma
It is not just for ppl to scared to have a hb,
I didn't mean to imply that.. I meant that if you're not comfortable in a hospital and not quite sure you want to do it at home either, it's probably a great place to go. Sorry if I was misunderstood.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey-
had ds #1 there.go thru beah if you want a nt to midwife. I never even knew a dr (bleeker) was there. I did not want to have him in a hospital but I was under the impression that i may be high risk so the homey atmosphere with the fact that a hospital was close just in case was great for me then.
for #2 i was confident i could do it so he was born at home

well gotta go ds #2 is not likly that I'm on the computer!
~S

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
hi
I was planning on going to the birth center with my first. That was 19 months ago.She ended up being a very persistent footling breech- and I got a c-section. Dr. Bleecker is wonderful- he doesn't really have any bedside manners(kind of a non-talker) but he is exellently skilled at external version-he turned my daughter at 39 weeks,although she turned back!-. Beah is very sweet, and theres a woman named Kay who was also very helpful. Although I ended up c-section, I felt very well taken care of.

The Birth Home is really beautiful inside. And the tub looked so inviting!

I hope this helps. I know for a fact that Dr. Bleecker was the only doctor still willing to do a VBAC (he's really into helping women birth naturally)out of the doctors associated with the hospital they use as backup. I beleive they do not do them there now though- which really sucks.I beleive its called Valley Care Medical or something.The hospital they use is smaller and I think I got more one on one attention.
I hope this helps some.
Leila

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.