Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am looking to find out from woman that did take castor oil to induce, AFTER 40 weeks...

1. did it work or not?
2. if not, when did you finally start labor (how long after the attempt.)
3. if yes, how quickly did the labor start after the attempt?
4. how sick did it really make you... diahreah, vomiting ?
5. how strong of a stomach do you normally have?
6. how much did you take, how often, how many times?

Thanks in advance!! (trying to avoid pitocin!!) I've tried everything else, including cohosh... i've done it all...this is my last resort...but i hate being sick to my stomach and don't want to do it unless my odds are very good!!

40 weeks 6 days today... Induction threatened for 9 days from today!

·
Registered
20 Posts
oh boy.... okay.
i went two weeks late with dd, and my midwife finally gave me castor oil to try. I drank one ounce cut with orange juice and vodka and waited...... nothing. 3 or so hours later I drank one more ounce, once again with OJ and vodka (not much vodka, it's just susposed to cut the oilyness) Then waited. Then came the poop. Like you wouldn't believe. And nausea, too. no puking, just nausea and so much poop it was frightening. Labor started something like 12 hours after my first dose of castor oil- after an entire day of POOP! I was eating and drinking as much as i could durring the day, but labor started so intensly that before long i was puking up anything i tried to eat. I then underwent 40 hours of labor, with contractons starting at like 5 minuits apart. Uugh. I wasn't dialating, and never got the "urge" to push, and finally was transfered to the hospital (i was going for a homebirth) because i had no strength left. I hadn't been able to absorb any nutrition from any of the food i had eaten that day due to the pooping factor. so i was really weak. I tried pushing at home for 5 hours, but finally we decided it was time to go to the hospital. My daughter got jimmied out of her stuck place on the car ride over, so at least i was only in the hospital for a couple pushes, but it was sort of a traumatic thing- doing the transfer. When she came out the dr and my midwife both agreed that she didn't look at all overdue, and i knew my dates were right, so i'm now pretty sure that i just have a longer gestation period than "normal", and this time i plan to wait it out.
good luck- i don't really think castor oil is such a great idea unless it's like THE NIGHT before you ABSOLUTLY MUST get pitocen. but i'm sending you some well wishes....

·
Registered
345 Posts
My doula says most people begin labor 4 hours after the second dose of castor oil. That would be 6 hours after you have started it. She also said not everyone throws up, some get nausea, all will poop. I am wondering if forcing your body into labor in ANY way is just causing yourself more trouble??? I do not want pitocin again.

ramonagrowsup,
Wow, I am also scheduled to be induced in 7 days and I will be 41 weeks-1 day. I am going to be trying castor oil the day before. It sure doesn't sound fun. I was wondering do you know if your cervix was effaced or dialated when you began? Also what nationality are you? I have been reading how northern european women have longer gestation (like 41 weeks)
and black women have shorter gestations. I am not sure how the rest of the world fits in but I do know 40 weeks for all is totally wrong!! I think it's time drs figured this out and gave all this inducing a rest.

Everything I read says "Do not induce with pit unless the baby is in danger..." Or a few other strong reasons BUT never for convience or for a suspected big baby. I have a "big baby" and I am also northern european so I really should just be due next week when they are inducing me. I have to go with pit on Wed because the only Dr who isn't forcing me into a c-section is leaving for 5 days and I so do not want the on call drs who will see my chart and do the operation straight away because my ds got stuck. I think trying everything I can is worth it, even castor oil!

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
did it work or not?

We actually used it to augment the labor -- I had been having contractions for two days with no dilation. I started dilating within an hour after taking it.

how sick did it really make you... diahreah, vomiting ?

Very, very sick. Both diahrrea and vomiting. I felt like I was going to die. Kind of like... have you ever had stomach flu? Far, far worse. (On top of back labor -- it wasn't pretty.)

how strong of a stomach do you normally have?

Quite strong. I rarely have problems.

how much did you take, how often, how many times?

2 oz., mixed with orange juice and tequila.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this so far, but dehydration is a concern if you are ejecting fluids. Also there is an increased chance of meconium after inducing with castor oil.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info... it sounds like i should be prepared to get really sick... i hate the thought,, but i may try it next week a couple of days before the "deadline"...
Would like to hear some good examples of people using the cator oil though!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Tracey~ I hope you do get some good examples on Castor Oil. I do not know how anything can be good about poopin your brains out for 6 hrs. than go straight into labor after that. BUT it is sure better than having to get induced!!!!!

You heard the negatives of castor oil but I do have a suggestion if you do have to do the castor oil. Get a very nice soft soft toilet paper and bring that to the hospital with you. At my hospial they had newpaper toilet paper and that just killed with pain. My bum was on fire that was probably the worst of it for me. I did not get nauses from the castor oil and it worked 4 hrs. after taking it. My labor was only 6hrs. long but my contarctions were 2 1/2 minutes apart the whole time.

My beautiful daughter was born with severe pschylogical jaundice. We had to stay at the hospital for 5 very long long days. It was awfull. All that being said if I could do it again I would not take the castor oil and I would find out what my rights are to refuse induction.

I hope you do not have to get induced or take castor oil. I will pray that she comes on her own for you.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
this should be a whole different thread! the best post-partum tp! i already know my vote - cottonelle aloe & e!!!!

we normally buy scotts or the stuff from the co-op...but at the end of pregnancy and post-partum, i MUST have my cottonelle. i know another mom who couldn't give it up after using it post-partum! hee hee.

i'm starting a thread!

·
Registered
929 Posts
I used castor oil after my water broke and it didn't do a thing except make me go to the bathroom, which was really annoying while I was having contractions. I actually used it three times I think. I did cohosh, too.
My poor sister drank 4 ounces of castor oil mixed with vodka and orange juice. Her water had not broken yet and she had horrible diarrhea afterwards and no baby for four more days.
Afterwards, our midwife told her that it only works, and only sometimes does it work, if your water has already broken. It basically just irritates your bowels and gets contractions going.
So my advice is don't take it unless your water has broken, and be prepared to labor on the toilet. Go for some long walks and drink raspberry leaf tea and enjoy this last closeness of this kind with your baby.
And most of all, keep an open mind about your birth. It's a trip.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you think it is something in the Castor Oil that makes the labor start, or simply the massive diareah that gets things going? I.e. can i eat something i know i'm notorious for getting diareah for, such as drawn butter or alfreado sauce and get the same effect?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
CTMOMOF2, I think the idea is that the castor oil starts such violent convulsions in your bowels, that it will kick start your uterus. I tried it the second time around, and it was just awful. DS was not born for another week. My body was not ready!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I believe there is actucally a chemical in the castor bean that causes it to make the bowels contract and then the violent contractions cause labor. That is why it can cause meconium in the baby, the chemical gets to them also. Both times moms I have worked with have tried castor oil, it failed to start a productive labor and both babies had meconium. One was definitly a few days old poop, right around when she had tried the meconium.

I also used it unsuccessfully, only 2 oz, vomited like hell then pooped, NO labor, no meconium.

It is most effective in mom who have had lots of babies, the Amish moms I work with use it upon occasion and it seems to work well, of course they are on baby 7, 8 etc. Can think of 2 moms offhand that I did not attend thier birth, and used it successfully.

Correct dose is 2oz, wait 30 min, 1 oz, wait an hour and 1 more oz. For a total of 4oz. Mix with OJ, the vodka sounds like a good idea. I think yogurt smoothie , mixed drink, light on the vodka. If you don't want the vodka just the OJ or smoothie would work fine. I also advise to wait and let your body wokr, try it next Friday before the induction.

BTW my understanding is that it can take up to 6 hours or so AFTER you stop pooping for it to begin working, but it usually starts sooner.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CTMOMOF2
Ok, I am looking to find out from woman that did take castor oil to induce, AFTER 40 weeks...

1. did it work or not?
2. if not, when did you finally start labor (how long after the attempt.)
3. if yes, how quickly did the labor start after the attempt?
4. how sick did it really make you... diahreah, vomiting ?
5. how strong of a stomach do you normally have?
6. how much did you take, how often, how many times?

Thanks in advance!! (trying to avoid pitocin!!) I've tried everything else, including cohosh... i've done it all...this is my last resort...but i hate being sick to my stomach and don't want to do it unless my odds are very good!!

40 weeks 6 days today... Induction threatened for 9 days from today!
1. It did not work
2. 6 days after I did it I went into labor.
4. Not really sick, just some diarrhea.
5. Not a very strong stomach.
6. I took an entire one of those little bottles in two doses over the course of 3 hours.

It is VERY DISGUSTING. VERY. Don't do it.

By the way, I went 16 days overdue.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I just wanted to add that stripping the membranes I think worked for me. My midwife did it 2 days before I went into labor and then I had show the entire day after she did it, then had him the next day.

And I was allowed to go so far "overdue" b/c I signed a waiver and also b/c my first child was way overdue as well. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Since no one else has said it, I will.

You can refuse an induction. They can't make you do it. IT is your body and your baby and they are providing you with a service.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I agree with Whit.

The best guarantee that you will have a natural birth is to trust your natural body and your natural baby.

I think we need to start a thread on women who went past their due dates and had positive birth stories....

Positive castor oil stories?

Hey, ok. I know one friend did it at 16 days past her due date.

I had three clients try - one had horrible diarrhea and strong cramps that made her feel like she was going to vomit for three hours straight. She began having contractions - they got to 3 minutes apart for six hours, then stopped with no cervical change whatsoever during that time. She was tired and pissed.

Another client tried it after I broke her water. She took 2oz of CO at 3pm, then at 6 started with diarrhea. Then, at 11:30, she started having contractions. She was ready to push at 2. I want to add she was a good 3-4cm before we broke water.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Whit

You can refuse an induction. They can't make you do it. IT is your body and your baby and they are providing you with a service.
Amen!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.