Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had a cold for two weeks now. been through about ten boxes of kleenexes and lots of sleepless nights. the main thing is this nasal congestion that seems like it just won't go away and always gets worse at night. any recommendations?

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
This is gonna sound weird...

Garlic. Raw garlic - cut it up in pill sized chunks and take it like pills (careful to make it small-ish pill-sized chunks). It's an antibacterial and an antiviral. When I start to feel something coming on, I have a clove or two in the morning and again at night. Also, you can do "garlic tea" which is basically a crushed clove of garlic that you pour hot water over (I do it in my tea pot) and let it steep for a half hour or so? Then, add honey and lemon to taste. Not overly delicious, but it does the trick, usually, for me.

Also, for congestion relief? I use RC oil on my feet... it's the "respiratory congestion" essential oil mix from young living. I mix it with coconut oil and slather it on, then put on socks.

Have you heard of wet sock therapy? It's supposed to be awesome, but I've never tried it. http://www.heartlandnaturopathic.com/coldsock.htm

Then there's the neti pot... a little baking soda (like a tiny, tiny pinch) in a neti pot helps the congestion clear out faster. Or in lieu of a neti pot, you can pour yourself a cup of warm-ish water add some sea salt and the baking soda and snort it instead. Not overly comfortable, but it can do the trick...

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yosemiteroses View Post
i have had a cold for two weeks now. been through about ten boxes of kleenexes and lots of sleepless nights. the main thing is this nasal congestion that seems like it just won't go away and always gets worse at night. any recommendations?

aaahhhhhh! ME TOO! I picked up a chest cold visiting my niece and nephew more than a week ago and then it morphed into a chest/sinus cold and it has been a full week and I'm still coughing and sniffling even though my body feels a little stronger and it is nowhere near as bad as it was.
What I've been doing that has helped me is using my neti pot in the morning and at night before bed. I also have a saline mister that I use during the day if I feel really stuffed up. Lots of water and hot tea are good expectorants/decongestants too. As for sleep, I have myself propped up with three pillows to keep my sinuses draining and I started taking Rescue Remedy Sleep. The past 4 days I have actually gotten wonderful restful sleep and can breathe through at least one nostril 95% of the time.
Good luck, I feel your pain.

oh and I throw a little eucalyptus oil on the wall of my shower everyday. and we found this stuff called "monkey holding peach balm" that is kind of like tiger balm. I dab some of that on my chest during the day and before bed too to keep my airways clear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.