Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As seen here: <a href="http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab005092.html" target="_blank">http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab005092.html</a><br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Is cup feeding a better way to feed babies, rather than giving bottles or feeding with a tube, when mothers are unable to fully breastfeed?<br>
We wanted to identify the best way of offering feeds to babies when mothers are unable to breastfeed, or initially have difficulty with breastfeeding. Alternative feeding methods include using a cup, bottle or feeding tube. Four included studies compared cup and bottle feeding: the results of three of these studies demonstrate that infants who were cup fed were more likely to be exclusively breastfed at hospital discharge. However, at three and six months, there was no difference in the number of infants fully or partially breastfeeding, whether initially fed by cup, bottle or feeding tube. The results of one study demonstrated that those infants feed by cup spent approximately ten days longer in hospital. <b>Therefore, based on available evidence, we cannnot recommend cup feeding.</b></td>
</tr></table></div>
I'm curious what you think?

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Interesting... but I think that the levels of babies still breastfeeding at 3 and 6 months are so incredibly low to start with it's not really accurate.<br><br>
Especially if it was a randomized study and the women with babies being cup fed weren't any more dedicated to breastfeeding than the general public.<br><br>
-Angela

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I think it's great news. It's hard to tell a mom who wants to breastfeed but is having problems/preemie/sick baby/can't latch that supplements should be given in a more difficult, culturally "weird" manner, and I think it can discourage breastfeeding altogether.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts