Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people are not aware of the 8 WAYS that a child can die from corded window treatments!!

Please go to www.pfwbs.org and learn how to keep your child safe!

Learn from these families and please pass this website along to everyone! (Don't forget grandparents!!)

It's so heartbreaking what happened to these children. Let's do everything we can to keep this from happening to another child!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I encourage an x-post to Activism, as this is really an underreported risk.

For those who can't readily change over to different window treatments, you can find inner-cord stoppers and metal cord anchors for free at Home Depot (or at least we found them at our nearby store). They were sitting in a box near the venetian miniblinds.

Another simple precaution is to lift the plastic tassel by several inches, tie a knot and then cut the excess to shorten the cords out of a toddler's reach.

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by late-night nan
Thank you for posting this. I encourage an x-post to Activism, as this is really an underreported risk.

For those who can't readily change over to different window treatments, you can find inner-cord stoppers and metal cord anchors for free at Home Depot (or at least we found them at our nearby store). They were sitting in a box near the venetian miniblinds.

Another simple precaution is to lift the plastic tassel by several inches, tie a knot and then cut the excess to shorten the cords out of a toddler's reach.
Except that the website referenced above says that all of these are hazards, too. I am a bit frustrated because have a house full of all different kinds of blinds, all installed one year before our 2 yr old was born. We cannot afford to replace them so we just have to anchor the cords up high and be very, very aware of where dd is at all times. Thank god for a small house!

A short rant: I wish sites like that would offer some suggestions instead of only trying to scare us. It is a small risk, by the way, not a huge one. More children die in cars daily by far.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Boongirl... I followed one of the links and someone suggested redi shades as a safe and very cheap (less than $10 Canadian per window) alternative. These are sold as temporary shades, but I've heard good reviews of them and that some people are happy to have them up for 2+ years. We've ordered 5 of them b/c of this thread. You can see more about them and where to buy them here: http://www.redishade.com/.

Thanks for posting!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just finished removing mini blinds from both boys' rooms and the living room. Tomorrow I will remove blinds from the kitchen and our bedroom. I am getting Redi-shades from Lowe's tomorrow. No more cords in our house! One less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
760 Posts
jake&zaxmom, Would you mind posting a review of the redi-shades since others here may be interested in them and I'd like to compare notes.
Ours are in the mail. We ordered black out ones and fabric ones. Hopefully they'll be here by the week-end.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
OMG i am looking around my house at all the cords tucked away on top of hanging pics etc,how niave was i thinking I had made it safe for my children.after reading those heartbreaking stories i just want to run around my house and rip them all down
,evry two weeks!!!something has to be done to change that awful fact!!
thank you for sharing,I will be sure to show DH this too,
for all those precious lives lost,

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I found redi-shades type shades at Target today!!! I didn't buy any but thought someone might want to know!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
On the Redi Shades site, they have craft ideas with them. Now I'm all excited about replacing the blinds in our new house! If I do a good job, we'll have designer-looking blinds. If not, well, they're inexpensive enough to get another and try again.

·
Registered
307 Posts
We have Redi-shades (just the plain white ones) in our living room and dining room. Put them up as temporary window covers when we moved here almost 3 years ago, and I still haven't got around to replacing them (nice window treatments for those rooms still aren't in our budget). They've stayed up fine and really don't look bad, though I don't know how well they would hold up if we were raising and lowering them regularly - we more or less leave them where they are.

FWIW, I think it's fine to tie knots and shorten blind cords in areas where you know your child will be supervised. We did that in our old house, in the master bedroom, because DD was never in there without me - by the time she was mobile, we had gates at the top & bottom of the stairs, and there was no way I was leaving her anywhere upstairs alone where she could crawl into the bathroom, etc unsupervised. A little bit of common sense goes a long way towards averting such disasters.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Don't you think it's a little paranoid to run out and buy all new window treatments when there are less than 20 deaths a year from this? There are real threats in the world and even in our homes, and something that 7-17 kids a year die of is not the top concern on my list, or even worth $100 (for 10 new $10 blinds that might last 2 years). If you have a 1 yr. old who's into everything and frequently unsupervised, get the cord up and out of the way. For those of us with older kids with good common sense and adequate supervision, I think we can worry about more likely death threats to our children (like cars, animals, fire, etc).

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hotmamma, clearly you didn't follow the link. Just getting the cord up and out of the way is not enough. There are other ways the blinds can be dangerous and life-threatening. It is a small and relatively easy to fix safety threat. In my case our blinds were also fugly and ragged. Replacing them saves us from one more thing to worry about. How many children die from dressers falling on them? Does this mean I shouldn't bother to attach mine to the walls to prevent this? How many are poisoned to death? Should I only worry about the leading causes of death and serious harm to my child?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottmama
You attached your dresser to the wall? Wow.
Uh, it takes a few screws and a strap or two. It's not exactly swaddling your kid in bubble wrap before letting them play in the yard.
If it were a choice between attaching dressers to the wall (or getting cordless blinds) or putting my child in a car seat, then, yes, I do agree that car accidents are the bigger danger. Luckily, we don't have to make that choice.

From http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5004.html :

Quote:
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimates that 8,000 to 10,000 victims are treated annually in U.S. hospital emergency rooms for injuries associated with the tipover of furniture. CPSC also receives reports of about 6 deaths each year. The majority of these injuries and deaths are to children.
I'm guessing these statistics aren't high enough to merit attention, in your opinion. I hope that your family stays in the majority, and is never personally affected by the danger.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts