Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,603 Posts
On the Redi Shades site, they have craft ideas with them. Now I'm all excited about replacing the blinds in our new house! If I do a good job, we'll have designer-looking blinds. If not, well, they're inexpensive enough to get another and try again.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottmama
You attached your dresser to the wall? Wow.
Uh, it takes a few screws and a strap or two. It's not exactly swaddling your kid in bubble wrap before letting them play in the yard.
If it were a choice between attaching dressers to the wall (or getting cordless blinds) or putting my child in a car seat, then, yes, I do agree that car accidents are the bigger danger. Luckily, we don't have to make that choice.

From http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5004.html :

Quote:
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimates that 8,000 to 10,000 victims are treated annually in U.S. hospital emergency rooms for injuries associated with the tipover of furniture. CPSC also receives reports of about 6 deaths each year. The majority of these injuries and deaths are to children.
I'm guessing these statistics aren't high enough to merit attention, in your opinion. I hope that your family stays in the majority, and is never personally affected by the danger.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottmama
It takes two adults to even move my dresser, there is just no way my son could tip it over!
Actually, we chose not to anchor our son's dresser because it flares out at the base and we don't think he could tip it over. It's a call that we made. If you don't think it's worth it, then don't do it. We have, however, anchored our bookcases to the wall, because we do see them as tipping risks.

Quote:
And it's not as simple as using a carseat, or do you really think no kids die in carseats? I'm sure many, many more than 16 kids died in 2003 even while properly strapped into the car.
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here?

Quote:
And electrical fires kill more than 16 kids, I'm sure- why don't you move to a house without electricity, to be safe? In fact, the bubble wrap outside sounds like a great idea, except I'm sure some kid somewhere has been suffocated by bubble wrap, so scratch that too. What's a mom to do with danger lurking in every corner, window, and piece of furniture?
You educate yourself and decide what precautions you're going to take. I'm sorry, but, yes, danger is "lurking in every corner, window, and piece of furniture". That's life. It may not always be a big danger, and I'm certainly not suggesting that we can or should remove every bit of danger from our children's lives. That's why I say we should educate ourselves about what can happen. You don't see these as big enough dangers to warrant your effort. You're putting your energy elsewhere. Fine. I really wasn't trying to be snarky when I hoped that your family would stay in the majority and be safe on this issue. I have the same hope for my family on the issues which I've decided we don't have the time, energy, or resources to make safer. But I don't think it's appropriate to mock those of us who do see these particular things as important. I mean, heck, this is MDC. You've never before read a post where someone is passionate about something that makes you go
? You read it, shake your head and maybe chuckle at the screen, and move on. :LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.