Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
761 Posts
Boongirl... I followed one of the links and someone suggested redi shades as a safe and very cheap (less than $10 Canadian per window) alternative. These are sold as temporary shades, but I've heard good reviews of them and that some people are happy to have them up for 2+ years. We've ordered 5 of them b/c of this thread. You can see more about them and where to buy them here: http://www.redishade.com/.

Thanks for posting!!!

· Registered
761 Posts
jake&zaxmom, Would you mind posting a review of the redi-shades since others here may be interested in them and I'd like to compare notes.
Ours are in the mail. We ordered black out ones and fabric ones. Hopefully they'll be here by the week-end.

· Registered
761 Posts
Hotmamma, clearly you didn't follow the link. Just getting the cord up and out of the way is not enough. There are other ways the blinds can be dangerous and life-threatening. It is a small and relatively easy to fix safety threat. In my case our blinds were also fugly and ragged. Replacing them saves us from one more thing to worry about. How many children die from dressers falling on them? Does this mean I shouldn't bother to attach mine to the walls to prevent this? How many are poisoned to death? Should I only worry about the leading causes of death and serious harm to my child?

· Registered
761 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss Chey's mom.

Pookietooth, the Redi Blinds are very cheap. We have ours up now and they work well and look decent. You could put the ones that come with your unit into storage for the time being and replace them before you move out if your landlord isn't willing to provide you with something safer.

About the dresser. Actually, ours isn't mounted to the wall yet. But it should be. We have taken all of the knobs off. Simon can't open any of the drawers this way. If the bottom drawer is open and he climbs into it and jumps a bit or tries to use this as a ledge to climb higher, it could easily fall over. We watch him in the bedroom very carefully and will mount it to the wall soon. Before we know it he'll know how to pull the drawers open without the knobs. Call me paranoid if you want! It will take 10 minutes of my life to attach the dresser to the wall. T.v.'s in entertainment units pose a similar danger btw, though perhaps worrying about this is foolish too? I don't think so!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.