Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get the whole avoidance of microwaves thing.

Since the thread in TAO was closed.

What I was reading there had to do with fear of radiation and cancer, as well as texture issues in the finished foods.

I can't argue with the fact that some foods just don't cook as nicely in a microwave, they don't.

But...

Flames on the stove and in the oven RADIATE heat. Heat is a form of RADIATION.

Every lightbulb in your house is RADIATING heat and light waves. Light is a form of RADIATION too. And before you decide to switch to candles to avoid that RADIATION, not only do those RADIATE light and heat, they give off soot which is most definately bad for your lungs.
They also increase the chances of a housefire.

All the microwaves are doing is using magnetism to spin the bi-polar (have a positively-charged end and a negatively-charged end, all very natural as that's how Nature makes them) molecules of water in the food. The friction from their spinning is what creates the heat. Given that the Earth herself is huge magnet, I see nothing to be concerned about in this.

The kind of RADIATION that causes cancer is Gamma radiation. That comes from radioactive elements/compounds, and from the Sun. Microwaves have none of that sort of radiation.

And while we're on the subject, TVs and computer screens RADIATE light too.

I wish Science was more effectively taught in this country.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I appreciate your perspective, especially on something so controversial. I, personally, bounce back and forth between whether to micro or not. Sometimes, it's just not worth heating up the kitchen and house, only to have the a/c (set at 80) running more, and having lights on in the kitchen that also add to the heating up of the house (no windows in the kitchen, and I hate it). I appreciate your sharing of the other side of the good of microwaving. There is so much good and bad out there, that things are confusing! I face this same issue w/ whether to tan in a salon or to avoid UV all together. I LOVE being out w/ my kids at theme parks, playing in the water, jumping on the trampoline. Unfortunately, I saw tooooooooo many days of sunburn to count, and sunscreen didn't help much, and the more I used the more sensitive to it I became. I tried doing the tanning thing, and found out that w/ a simple "paying for cancer" trip to the salon a half hour a week (3 intervals of 10 minutes each) has kept me from burning, and my skin appears healthier (even my esthetician who lectured me about tanning says my skin is verrrrrrry healthy).
Anyway, you're brave to post on such a touchy subject, and I appreciate your information and input! Thanks!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see this as a touchy or controversial topic at all.

What I consistently see on this issue here, as well as another that shall remain unnamed, is a deep lack of understanding of basic science.

That worries me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Meiri,

Please, by all means, post on any topic you find relevant. I think we all learn from each other. I've always been under the impression that microwaves somehow altered food to worse state. That being said I have NO idea as to why or have any understanding of science. Some things are my specialty and science isn't one of them.

I, for one, would be interested in hearing more about this or any ideas you have. I do currently use my microwave, but I do try to limit my use. (With a family of almost 7 it's just too easy to use)

K

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really have more to say, though if the conversation continues, no doubt I'll participate.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meiri View Post
as well as another that shall remain unnamed,

I'm not trying to cause drama, I swear. But I'm totally intrigued (clueless?) what the unamed issue is. If we continue to stay polite, can we not discuss these things here?

I have heard that microwaves change the molecular makeup of food (I think, I too have no idea what I'm talking about) but I'll have to go find where I read that. If I find it can we talk about it?
:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't use plastics in the microwave b/c I heard something about the plastic breaking down and leaching into the food. I thought that was due to the high heat- the same as putting plastics into the dishwasher. I do use the microwave with our regular plates and bowls. Does anyone else have more info about this?

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I don't heat food in plastic, either. I only use the micro to reheat foods due to texture/culinary issues (I just don't think things turn out as well in the mirowave). I know there is some controverrsy about the health of microwaving foods, but I also know that grilling forms carcinogens. Moderation, right?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Moderation, exactly. I don't recommend using plastic wraps in the microwave either, at least not if it's touching the food. I can't remember what the reason was for that. Melting could be one issue.

I don't know why microwaving changes the textures of certain foods, though I'm pretty sure it's a sensory issue rather than a health one.

Grilling does indeed create compounds that are carcinogenic in large enough quantities. According to what DH has read, fish is the worst for that.
(I could live on salmon.)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Subbing to the thread. I have no idea why a thread on this would've been closed??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts