Mothering Forum banner

The doctor said to let the baby cry 2-3 hours a day!!!

1K views 35 replies 30 participants last post by  sunshinestarr 
#1 ·
I am not kidding. My best friend just took her baby girl in for her two week check up. At that time, the OBGYN-a woman-instructed my friend to make sure that the baby gets in 2-3 HOURS of crying a day!!!

Come ON!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
That is just crazy advice... I can't believe that there are actually people that say things like that..
:

so what are you supposed to pinch a mellow baby that doesn't cry...
:

#6 ·
Huh? How do you get a baby to cry that long? Refuse to feed it when it comes time? Leave it naked in a cold room? Even if I just barely met his needs my babe would probably only cry like an hour a day, as it is he cries about 5 minutes a day, 20 if he's teething. I mean even after he got his blood drawn he only cried for 30 seconds. How could this possibly be a good thing?

#7 ·
If crying is good for the lungs, bleeding is good for the veins.

~pediatric psychologist Dr. Lee Salk

#8 ·
I've read in a couple baby books by physicians that some babies, especially as newborns-6 weeks, will cry UP to 2-2.5 hours/day, which, if you had a very colicky baby, and you counted any crying done while needs are trying to be met... might be accurate? I don't know yet, I'm hoping not....

I have never read anything by anyone that said that they SHOULD be crying that much!!!! Then again, meeting needs such as "I need to be held" may not be considered by the non-AP community.

Who knows?
:

It would break my heart if my little one was crying that much...

#10 ·

WTF???

I'd ask the doctor "based on what research" (if she was still speaking to me after I'd slapped her!
)

And just to answer, my dd did, sometimes when she was in the 4-10 weeks age and had colic, cry for much more than 3 hours per day.
I held her/ rocked her/ nursed her through the lot and we got through it without the "help" of any doctors. and I do think its a rare case, and NO baby should EVER be "let to cry" (of course, if they feel like crying, that's okay too, sometimes I like to cry as well, i find it to be a nice way to release built up tensions)

#14 ·
It was her pediatrician, NOT her OBGYN. Sorry!

I would have had heated words with that doctor if it were me. My friend is very averse to confrontation. I don't like it either, but that doesn't stop me in certain situations.

This is DEFINITELY one of those situations.

The idea that this dr. is regularly advising new mothers disturbs the hell out of me.

The way she put it, babies NEED to cry 2-3 hours a day. Can you imagine the poor woman who didn't know any better, and thought she should be allowing her baby to cry like that because it was some kind of NEED????

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Delacroix
It was her pediatrician, NOT her OBGYN. Sorry!

I would have had heated words with that doctor if it were me. My friend is very averse to confrontation. I don't like it either, but that doesn't stop me in certain situations.

This is DEFINITELY one of those situations.

The idea that this dr. is regularly advising new mothers disturbs the hell out of me.

The way she put it, babies NEED to cry 2-3 hours a day. Can you imagine the poor woman who didn't know any better, and thought she should be allowing her baby to cry like that because it was some kind of NEED????
Well I hope that most mothers, even those who didn't know any better, wouldn't let their babies cry like that... after all Dr's also tell us we should always vax and circ too...

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joannarachel
Why is an OB giving parenting advice?

:

Oops, sorry, just read on. Ped. shouldn't give parenting advice and parents shouldn't take it. My ped. said ds2 doesn't need to eat from 11p.m. to 5a.m. OK. thanks, now I know he won't starve, but I think I'll feed him anyway. My ped. now knows I won't listen to things like that anyway, but says them out of routine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.