Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to come by and let you know that you have all helped add a little steele to my backbone.

We've had quite the ordeal since the birth of our son 4 weeks ago. While he was in the hospital we had several run in's with the Dr and nurses. Let me tell you, it's quite a tale with a few federal laws having been violated in the beginning (so we've been told anyway) and ending with social workers coming to check out our home before the baby would be discharged. Just this week I was finally able to get rid of the home health nurses twice weekly visits-all of this over a baby that is HEALTHY!

Do not underestimate the anger of the medical system when you exercise your rights
:

Anyway, a couple of days before baby was discharged the nurse came to us and said she was supposed to give our son a vaccination for Hep B. I asked her if we had to allow it and she said "well, the Dr wrote it as an order". This just made my stomach flip flop. I told her that I didn't know anything about the Hep B vaccine-mind you she came to us without any of the informational handouts we've always gotten before. I actually had to ask for the hand out. I said " He can write it as an order as many times as he likes, but I know you still need permission."

I wouldn't have had the guts to stand up to them if it hadn't been for all the info I've read here over the last year.
Thanx to all of you we made it out of the hospital with NO vaccines!

Just wanted to add that I wish I had known what a snake pit we were walking into when we chose that hospital-it does pay to know your local hospital.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Isn't it amazing how they all flip out when you don't follow THEIR protocal!

I went through something similar when my son was born last September. A hospital social worker was called by the pediatrician for our refusal of the Vit K and eye goop. Hep B wasn't mentioned, but it was included as a "do not give" in my birth plan. I took 5 copies of the birth plan with me, and I don't think I came home with any. They kept "misplacing" them. I would just whip out another. The labor nurse told me point blank that it was the law my child get the Vit K and eye goop. I told her that there were waivers available and all the info needed was included in my birth plan. One copy of my plan was given when I pre admitted, of course when the time came to have the baby, they had my file, but no copy of the birth plan, which I had thought might happen, and that's why I took 5 more copies with me in my hospital bag. They really get in a tizzy when you want to something other than what they are used to.

Good for you for standing up to them. It ain't easy, because it is a lot of pressure, and you feel like everyone is against you. This ped even made the comment, "You care about your baby don't you?" My DH wigged on that one and went off on the doc.

Sheesh.

Thank you for sharing your story! And congrats on your new little bundle!

Christine

·
Registered
575 Posts
They actually insisted on doing a home visit prior to releasing the baby all because you refused the hepB vaccine?
How pathetic.Glad to read you were able to avoid any shots.
sara

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Quote:
ending with social workers coming to check out our home before the baby would be discharged

WOW, You must be a strong woman to have stood up against all you did!

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I suspect that the home visit was the result of us having had a midwife homebirth planned. As well as the fact that I wasn't about to be pushed into doing what they wanted. We were viewed as a "problem" from the start. The control these people tried to exert was unbelieveable. Our baby was the only one in the nursery with an anti kidnapping sensor on his ankle-now, I spent 12-15 hours a day in the hospital and NONE of the other babies had these sensors on them even tho I was told they did it as a matter of routine on all babies there.

Tell me another one

Just wanted to add that I was also told that the home visit was routine for all babies who spent time in the NICU. I've never heard of this happening before but I suppose it's possible. We were also told that we had to apply for medicaid or our baby wouldn't be discharged!

As I said, it's all nearly incredible to believe. I walked around for days wondering what it was we did that was so wrong that made them freak out like they did-still wondering really.
:

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Greenluv,

I'm so glad you made it out of there! Congratulations on your escape and on your son!

But I'm so
that you had to put up with that kind of treatment.

Quote:
Originally posted by greenluv
Just wanted to add that I was also told that the home visit was routine for all babies who spent time in the NICU. I've never heard of this happening before but I suppose it's possible. We were also told that we had to apply for medicaid or our baby wouldn't be discharged!

As I said, it's all nearly incredible to believe. I walked around for days wondering what it was we did that was so wrong that made them freak out like they did-still wondering really
:
If your baby was in the NICU, it is expensive, and hospitals just want to make sure they get paid. Even if you have insurance, most insurance companies don't cover NICU stays, so the hospitals push you to go on public aid of some sort. It's all about the money.

And depending on the state you live in and the rules of whatever public aid organization you're on, sometimes they do send nurses to the house. That's probably what happened, but they shouldn't have lied to you about the reason being because your baby was in NICU.
:

You didn't do anything wrong. You just chose a different path and didn't play by the rules. They don't like that.

Don't you know, any parent refusing hep b shot is a wacko who wants their kid to die. Because, especially in the NICU, there are promiscuous babies running around and drug dealing going on like you wouldn't believe.

:

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Because, especially in the NICU, there are promiscuous babies running around and drug dealing going on like you wouldn't believe.

Quote:
What a bunch of prize pricks!
Exactly. Anyone who has heard of this whole ordeal agrees that we were being punished.
:

I would mention the state but I'm afraid to do that just because we're still in the

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
When my third son was born in '94 I "consented" to the hep-b without realizing it, by signing the form under the influence of nerves, tiredness, and form fatigue (I am much more careful now). I was truely not aware that I had consented for him to be given it, and and was shocked when I started to research that vaccine and realized my baby had recieved it needlessly. Well, when I called the hospital to complain, the nurse took offence and sent to cops to my house early the next morning. She thought I sounded "irrational," and "might hurt the baby."

Luckily, by some miracle, they came on a good day-- the house was clean, the kids were happy, dh was home to help. The younger cop kept spouting off with "they said you aren't going to get him his shots," while the older one was quietly looking around at the well-fed, happy children, the comfortable home, the many toys in the basket, and the baby snuggled blissfully in my arms, and nodded his head in understanding when my husband spoke up to say that I was researching the risks and benefits of vaccines. The gray haired one gave his younger partner a sour look to shut him up, wished me luck, and appologized for causing me any stress. And then they left.

Another nurse from the hospital heard about what had happened, and called me privately to appologize (apparently, she felt that the nurse who called was a consistant troublemaker). She remembered me from all of my pre-term labor admissions, and liked me. In any case, she said that she was starting to wonder about the whole vaccine issue herself.

I just let the whole thing drop at that point, because it scared the hell out of me. And I continued to research the vaccine issue. From that day forward, none of my children ever received another vaccine. I just felt suspicious of the whole program, and the authority's motives, if there was that much of a vested interest in my baby getting an unneeded shot. And the more I look into the whole goverment/pharma situation, the more solidly confirmed I find that suspicion to be.

I will always be grateful for that older cop, and wonder what experiences he might have had to have nodded his head so understandingly when my husband started talking about the risks of vaccines.

Greenluv, I am glad your baby is home, and pray that your situation gets resolved completely. So that someday years later, you will be able to type it out, like I am here, and realize, "holy cow, that was nearly ten years ago."

take care,

DeAnna

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Wow. A friend of mine who knows nothing much about vaxes had a baby a few weeks back and told me she refused the Hep B in the hospital! I had mentioned vaxes once or twice so apparently she was listening but we never got into it!! Anyway, she said they just had her sign a waiver and let her be! This is a the same hosptial that told a neighbor of mine their son was the only boy there not being circumcsied and she was scarring him for life by leaving him intact! So I was surprised teh ylet her be on the issue. BTW, one Hep B is all my sone had-I was psot partum and confused too.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Don't you know, any parent refusing hep b shot is a wacko who wants their kid to die. Because, especially in the NICU, there are promiscuous babies running around and drug dealing going on like you wouldn't believe.
Heck, my DD was running the crackhouse!:LOL

Seriously, glad that everything worked out and you all made it out of that hellhole ok.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
we got out of the nicu without any vaccines. vitamin k, but no silver nitrate.

didn't get hep b, they kept asking if we wanted it.

then one of my docs said, you know why they're pushing it? because babies tend to catch hep b in the hospital. they're covering their ass. so it's stupid - and I mean moronic, idiotic, uneducated of them to check your home.

hospitals are dirty. and while that nicu was 'clean', they let anyone in there as long as you washed your hands fo 5 minutes with surgical soap - as if THAT's going to solve the problems. geeze.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MysticHealerMom
didn't get hep b, they kept asking if we wanted it.

then one of my docs said, you know why they're pushing it? because babies tend to catch hep b in the hospital. they're covering their ass. so it's stupid -
Lori, thanks so much for posting this.

This might sound weird, but you have just helped me put to rest a big question I've had for a very long time.

They gave dd the hep b shot against our wishes, and I've been wondering for THREE years WHY they're so crazy about giving this shot to every new born in the hospital.

It makes perfect sense, now. It is all about the lawsuits, and covering their

Thank you for giving me some peace with this issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts