Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've been in this forum, but I wanted to come back and share a positive story.<br><br>
DD was born with a fairly severe dairy intolerance. It manifested in silent reflux, very poor sleeping, colic, small and frequent feedings, mucousy poop, and a red umbilicus (<a href="http://journals.lww.com/jpgn/Fulltext/2006/05000/The__Red_Umbilicus___A_Diagnostic_Sign_of_Cow_s.12.aspx" target="_blank">http://journals.lww.com/jpgn/Fulltex..._Cow_s.12.aspx</a>). I had to completely eliminate all trace dairy from my diet for a number of weeks before we saw an improvement, but we were finally able to remove her from her reflux medications at around 9 months.<br><br>
We saw an allergist and confirmed that she didn't have any systemic IgE allergies. He recommended attempting a reintroduction every 6 months or so, to allow her GI to heal between.<br><br>
She had reactions to accidental trace dairy up through about 20 months. At 24 months, we did a controlled challenge and were able to reintroduce trace dairy to her diet, although larger amounts of dairy still gave her stomach pain and mucousy poops. Just that additional freedom in feeding her made an amazing difference in our lives. We slowly moved from trace dairy up to a lick of whipped cream.<br><br>
When she turned 2.5 (about a month ago), we did a challenge of larger amounts of dairy by taking her out for pizza. Success! For the last month, we've had pizza out once a week, and for the last 2 weeks, we've followed it up with ice cream.<br><br>
No sign of GI issues! No pain! No mucous! She still sleeps!<br><br>
We're beginning to incorporate dairy back into our meals. It's tricky -- she's a typical picky toddler, and she's not the most open to this sudden addition of "cheese". Mac & cheese? No thank you. String cheese? Nope. But just having that option open is amazing.<br><br>
So there is hope! My DD was so sensitive that I couldn't imagine that she'd be one of the kids to grow out of it by 3. But we're here!

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
That's Fantastic!!!<br><br><br><br><span style="font-size:xx-small;">But I just can't help but add: watch for ANY new symptom. Every time I reintroduced dairy to my DS, he changed symptoms so it would take me a little while to catch it (reflux to rash to bedwetting to night terrors to "growing pains").</span>

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing your success!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts