Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has long been felt that the eradication of the scourge of infectious disease superceeds the protection of the minority.
What say y'all?

And thx!

·
Registered
385 Posts
First of all, the elimination of disease is not possible. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nature abhors a vacuum. Diphtheria goes out, leukemia comes in. We are still fighting suffering and death, the names have simply changed.

Second, the only way to truly eliminate all disease would be to eliminate all viruses and bacteria. That would be a problem because we have a symbiotic relationship with some bacteria.

Third, "wiping out" a virus flies in the face of evolution. Why are so many so naive to think that mutation, possibly into something more dangerous, is not possible? And they call those who question "anti-science".

·
Registered
18,827 Posts
First of all, the elimination of disease is not possible. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nature abhors a vacuum. Diphtheria goes out, leukemia comes in. We are still fighting suffering and death, the names have simply changed.

Second, the only way to truly eliminate all disease would be to eliminate all viruses and bacteria. That would be a problem because we have a symbiotic relationship with some bacteria.

Third, "wiping out" a virus flies in the face of evolution. Why are so many so naive to think that mutation, possibly into something more dangerous, is not possible? And they call those who question "anti-science".
You need to understand a system fairly well to be able to alter some pieces without unexpected changes also emerging. We have never understood the human body, human development and our relationship to illness at that level, hence all the unexpected problems emerging over the years, not just from vaccines but from stuff like antibiotics and c-sections, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts