Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a real life crime show on A & E where they follow detectives during the first 48 hours of an investigation. I initially found the show interesting but as I watch it more am increasingly disturbed by it. While many times it seems clear who the perpetrator is, and the confessions seem straightforward, many other times the investigations seem almost random and they are always rushed and headlong, since there is so much pressure to have everything solved within 48 hours. It's frighteningly clear to me how easy it would be to accidentally get caught up in the legal system, especially if you lack resources and education. It always disturbs me a lot how the detectives desperately don't want the suspects to ask for a lawyer, and if they do, suspicion is automatically cast on them! "Why would he ask for a lawyer if he were not guilty?" If I found myself in a situation where I were (god forbid) being accused of a crime I did not commit, the FIRST thing I would do is ask for a lawyer.<br><br>
It also amazes me how few suspects do ask for a lawyer! Out of the dozens of crimes I've watched investigated, only 2 suspects asked for a lawyer. The rest don't even seem to understand the importance of having one.<br><br>
One of my favorite detectives is Caroline Mason from Memphis (? I think)-- I thought it was so endearing how she admitted being terrified of going up in a helicopter.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I used to watch that show and had a similar experience as you. At first, I was fascinated, but the more I watched, the more frustrated I got with how the system works.<br><br>
I didn't realize it was even on anymore. Maybe I will check it out again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts