Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been offered this test by their ob or mw?

I'm not quite sure what to think of it--whether I should do it or not. I am 35, so I guess I'm more at risk, but seeing that I've had 2 u/s already, the thought of getting another one is less than desirable for me, at least not until later on in the second trimester. Also, I don't know what to make of the blood tests either.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a link to info about this test:

http://www.ntdlabs.com/patient_usf.php

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I think it depends on the type of person you are. If therewas something wrong would you want to know now or wait? That site doesn't talk about the risks of the test but does mention a 5% and a 1% false positive rate.

Is the only reason they are recommending it because you are 35?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, I think so. I'm on the fence about it. I just don't know what to think. But, I like to be prepared. I'm all about being prepared.

B

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
That doesn't look like something I would personally do, and no, I had never heard of it......I mean, do you have a history of Downs, and even if you did, would your pregnancy outcome be different if your baby had Downs?? If not, why do the test? I declined the triple screen last time for those reasons, also a high rate of false-postives, it just seemed like another needless test to me.
jmho

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I personally wouldn't do it. I like to decline these kinds of test because 1) I figure they only do them to give you the option to abort (which I wouldn't do) and becuase on some tests the false positive rate can be very high, how sad would it be to do away with your baby when he/she was perfectly healthy anyway? 2) It wouldn't matter to me in the end. Of course I WANT a perfect baby, but if God's plan is different than my own I'll just have to adjust.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
grace's voice, that's why I asked. I just don't know what to make of all these testes that they offer. I never did a triple screen with my first, so I guess this is just new territory. I'm glad I'm getting opinions about this from the board.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
We never do any of the first trimester tests. Research tells us that they are inaccurate. But I've personally know many people who have gone through a lot of turmoil coming to terms with having a baby with special needs and then finding out the tests were wrong. If you have a sono in the 2nd trimester after 20 weeks, there's a lot more to see. If the baby isn't developing according to plan, it can be looked into further.But ultrasound can pick up something that's not there or miss something that is, too. You just have to follow your heart and go with what will give you peace. I didn't want to have any sonograms when we're trying to get pregnant, but then I just had to see that my daughter was okay, mostly the placenta, because I lost a baby bacause of placenta problems. Parenting is hard because you have to make a lot of hard decisions. Follow your heart. Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm no expert on downs, but my first cousin does have downs syndrome and I am at risk being 38. That said, we are choosing not to do any testing at all. When it comes down to it there is really nothing you need to prepare for regarding an infant with downs....they are just like every other infant.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I, personally, don't like the risk factor with this test (CVS or Amnio). I am also a healthy 34 year old with no previous family history of disabilities. Since that reason satisfies my husband & me, I would turn the test down.

I did do the AFP blood test & the glucose with our 1st pregnancy. I won't do the AFP this time around, but yes on the glucose one.

Sending you positive thoughts on your decision.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
For me personally, the only way I would have those sorts of test done is if I would terminate if positive. Since I never want to have to make a decision like that (or even worry about it) I choose to not test. If you look at the Downs Syndrome part, 10% of Downs babies are not detected, so that is still a surprise later in pregnancy or at birth. And 5% of the positives they give are incorrect, so that means there are those 5% worrying and preparing themselves and trying to make decisions about the future of the baby (perhaps even terminating) when baby is actually negative and may be entirely healthy.

I guess I just prefer live in ignorant bliss with my pregnancy
I think the only test I will have done will be a GBS test at the end of my pregnancy. Otherwise, I am skipping ultrasounds, screenings, etc.... oh, I might get my iron screened later on too. That is about it, I find the more I simplify, the less I worry.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are making some interesting points here. I have been thinking about this and I'm passing on this test. Besides, I hate tests in general and it's a waste of time seeing that I would never terminate anyway, so why freakin worry about results.

B

·
Registered
37 Posts
howdy everyone!

this is relevant to me because i am awaiting the results of my CVS test. i had it last monday and it was no big deal at all. i am about 11 weeks preg.

i would either do the full test (cvs or amnio) or nothing. the triple screen seems half-assed, innacurate and designed to drive pregnant women insane.

the CVS test is 99 percent accurate in detecting downs and trisomy 18 (i think thats what its called?)--can't get much better than that

you get a map of all the baby's chromosomes, its AMAZING.

being 35 and 36 at time of birth, my risk for down's is very high--and it has nothing to do with what's in your family. strictly on age related basis, somehting like a 1-in-150 chance.

personal choices, all, i am just personally so grateful to have access to this kind of technology, it's a great comfort to me!

good luck!

deb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.