Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for me...the GOOD is I've been 'power walking' the past 2 wks--ave 5x a week...only 20-30min each time while pushing dd in the stroller...but it is something! So I am happy!
Oh..and another GOOD is I'm learning Hypnobirthing! I do feel more relaxed in daily 'stuff' when I concentrate on my breathing!

The BAD...the ongoing saga with my SIL...the one who had a baby a few weeks ago--chose not to bf, baby has reflux, on prevacid, cereal in bottle, not sleeping, only wants to be held on a chest, etc etc,etc... (remember?) Anyways...new info...she is definitely sounding like PPD...she 'went crazy' one day and was throwing things and even threw the bottle at the baby. (missed him)...She is living at home and my MIL is psycho--addicted to painpills/antidepressents and nerve pills (whatever those are...)...so she steals money and pills...took all of SILs pills so my SIL can't even 'help' her PPD. My OTHER SIL had her bank card stolen...guess who? Yep, MIL...she used it to pay off her cell phone bill...oh...she HAD $ for the cell bill, but used it on drugs...Lastly, SIL with new baby says she doesn't want him anymore...and guess who she is thinking of 'giving' him to...yep, MIL....WTF?
Geez louise...all I can do is visualize a pic of the family in my mind...then get my erraser, and errase it. It calms me.
I do wish I couldve helped her nurse...I do think that if she had BFed this baby her body would've kicked in some oxytocin and lessen the PPD...etc...

How was your day/week?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oy....that family makes mine look like the Brady Bunch! Big hugs to everyone involved in that, I feel so bad for your SiLs and the baby....poor baby!

Ok....GOOD for me this week....I had my appointment with my midwife and dh came along. It was like a therapy session-I lovelovelove my midwife! And my blood pressure, iron, and blood sugar levels are all fine. I've also started taking Zinc to help curb my milk addiction. I've been drinking up to 4L of milk a day! That's just no good.
Dh has been taking dd out to the summer house (very Swedish to have a summer cottage) often, sometimes staying overnight so I have loads of time by myself to relax and clean.

BAD this week....I have to go have more bloodwork done because I had two remiss papers and not one like I thought. I hate having bloodwork done. I also have been really really naughty when it comes to doing my pregnancy yoga. It's so bloody hot and humid these days. It's very unusual to have such humidity here and it's killing me. And my midwife told me I'm not "allowed" to have added sugar on things after I told her my sugars were high (still well within the "safe" range) because I had the Swedish equivalent of Cream of Wheat with brown sugar added. No more CoW for me!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Bobbi - that's a horrid situation. Do you feel that the babe is in danger? Poor little one

GOOD: hmmmm. went swimming at a friend's pool for the first time this pg - it was *utter* bliss! Just the sensation of the weight being taken off my back and legs is so relaxing - and the really sweet thing is that I have an open invite to go back anytime I like. I've been eating a lot more healthfully again, after a coupla weeks of just snacking, and I'm starting to get that 'glow' according to onlookers! The babe is moving around lots, and it's really fun to watch it from the outside! DD has taken to bringing her toys to my belly for the baby to look at
: and singing so that he can hear her...I'm still slowly accumulating things for the new arrival -my most recent splurge/steal was a brand new w/tags HA bunting bag on Ebay for $10 - wooooohoooooo! I'm also making sheets for the wooden cradle that a friend has lent me - we're going to keep it downstairs for naps etc...

BAD: well, the varicose veins in my right leg are getting a lot worse. My leg is tired and achy a lot of the time, and it's really really ugly to look at. Complete strangers at the mall have commented on it
: I'm trying to elevate it as much as possible, but that's hard when you have a busy girl in the house! It's so darned humid too that I feel as though I'm one big oily slick!

Oh, and the anti-bf'ing propaganda from my mother has started up again - she's classic! Last time it was "b'fing is selfish" - this time it's "you won't have time to do it"
: ummmmmm, okay mum, let's think about that for a second....nuts to that!!!

But overall, things are really great. I love this stage of pregnancy; there's a great joy to be had in this new found shape and the sense of womanliness. It's a very special kind of peace for me...

to y'all, and the babes in arms and bellies too

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oh Mrs. Hos, that really is doozie of a situation you've got there. I hope that there can be some kind of resolution with the baby's best interests in mind.

Sunshine Girl, holy moly that's a lot of milk! How is the zinc going to help curb the addiction?

BabyBumblebee, sounds to me like even though your mom is pushing for you to not BF (why?), you know exactly where you stand and can just let it all roll off your back.

And as for me ...

The Bad: DH and I have been fighting a lot. We're both stressed out because we still don't have an apartment to move to. It's a lot harder finding an apartment when you're not staying in the same town. We both know that the situation will work itself out (because it has to), but it's hard to deal with the impending "homelessness".

The Good: I feel amazing! This little thing inside of me keeps jumping around and kicking like a son of a gun. I never imagined that it could be so unbelievably active! And I'm hungry all the time but now my body has been craving healthy, healthy, healthy foods ... nectarines and apples and cherries and celery and peanut butter and spinach and all things citrus. Yum! And even though the apartment situation is driving me a little nuts, I'm so excited about moving to Vermont!

Much love to everyone.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesmerize138
Sunshine Girl, holy moly that's a lot of milk! How is the zinc going to help curb the addiction?
When I told my midwife how much milk I was drinking and the fact that if we don't have any milk I actively crave it she told me to take zinc. I never would have thought to take zinc for the problem but I left the appointment and picked some up. I am taking regular prenatal vitamins my mom has sent over from Canada, extra folic acid (had an egg thing going on for a while), and now zinc. She told me to get other supplements but the health food store/natural pharmacy didn't carry it.

Last pregnancy I was drinking 4-5L of milk a day, even before we knew for sure I was pregnant. It was odd because before that I would avoid drinking milk unless it was a brand new box. In Sweden milk comes in unclosable 1L tetra packs....eeeeeeew. Now I just drink directly out of the box and a litre doesn't last too long open. This pregnancy I have gone 2 months or so when I absolutely could not drink milk. Just the idea of it made me sick. Obviously that has changed.

And apartments....I know how bloody stressful it can be to be pregnant and have nowhere suitable to live. When I got pregnant dh and I were living in a tiny (31 square metres) bachelor apartment. It wasn't suitable for two people much less two people + baby. In Stockholm getting an apartment is....tough. In the end we traded contracts (very different/weird here) and had to pay 50,000SEK (around 7,000USD) under the table.
: As easy as it is for me to say...try not to stress too much about it mesmerize. These things have a way of working themselves out, sometimes even for the best.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hello everyone!!!!

Love hearing from all of you....love hearing the goods mostly and wish I could help out with all the bads (motherly nurturing thing in me, wanna help everyone)

As for me:

The Good: I was casually working at a restaurant...well I can't say I was casually working I guess because I was never on the schedule but they called me in to help work anywhere from 1 to 4 times a week.....I never wanted to do it because I want to stay home with my kids but I know the owner very well and always felt bad for her because she was so short staffed and needed the extra help....well at the beginning of this week I told her I couldn't do it anymore....I am just too tired and everytime I worked the kids would act out because that is what they do to get my attention if I wasn't home enough, anyway, she was so sweet and understanding so now I really am a SAHM!!!!
So I instantly took off and came to my mom's (4.5 hours away) and have been here for a week and am loving the no stress situation!! The other good for me is of course the pregnancy and how everything is going with it....my son asked me the other day if the baby could come out to play!!! Priceless!! Also my DP and I are getting along so well and for once I really feel connected with him (even though he is working all the time)

The bad: DP's family is awful. DP is away from home all the time....this time he is at work for 5 weeks (5 hours away) and then he is home and off of work for one week...anyway, whenever he is gone his family never ever calls us....they are not at all involved in their grandchildrens lives and it really bothers me....I do not hear from them until the day DP is home and then they decide to call. Well DP's whole family came to visit his mom and dad, there were uncles, aunties, cousins, grandparents (my kids great grandparents) etc....there was a huge supper on saturday and sunday they all decided to go to the lake 25 minutes away!! Well I had no idea anyone was around until the day they all left!! They didn't bother to call or anything...I want to say to them, "I don't know if you just don't like me or what it is but the kids should of at least been involved." they could of called and came and picked up the kids or something. There is no family close by on my side and the only family near us is DP's and they ignore us and treat us like crap. I am alone in this small town and the only reason why we are here is because this is where DP grew up and his family is here and this is how they treat us!!!!
:
:

Anyway, I better stop because I could go on about them forever!!

Happy pregnancies to everyone!!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Saskmom - congratulations on becoming a full-time SAHM - that sounds like something you're really pleased about
I'm glad that you have the chance to go and relax for a little while, especially with your dh away so much - is he working in Alta? Just wondered - one of my b-i-l is a miner in BC...

Sunshine*girl (I love typing that - just makes me smile!) how do you like Stockholm? I used to travel a lot to Scandinavia when I was little - my father worked for a Swedish firm, so I grew to love all kinds of funky foods
mmmmmmm fishy eggs in a tube! now, that's something I could eat now
:

Mesmerize - the right place will come to you, I'm sure - but I can totally understand how stressful that is for you both right now. I'm glad to hear that your baby is enjoying spinach already - that's a really good sign :p

continuation of the whole bf'ing/my mother thing: essentially, my mum is a moonbat
I love her dearly but I'm so grateful that we're separated by a large ocean - she has the most bizarre points of view. Her idea is that bf'ing is 'selfish, because no-one else can feed the baby' and that I will have to ff this babe because I'll 'need all the help that I can get' - honestly, she has no idea how blissful and easy it is to nurse a babe in the night without even getting out of bed, and then to snuggle down and drift off to sleep.
If she's really worried about having something to do when she comes to visit I'm sure I can find some laundry or toilets to clean
: I'm thinking that her main issue with bf'ing is the actual 'breast' bit, so I'm trying to work the word into every conversation just to see if her head explodes

·
Registered
228 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyBumblebee
Sunshine*girl (I love typing that - just makes me smile!) how do you like Stockholm? I used to travel a lot to Scandinavia when I was little - my father worked for a Swedish firm, so I grew to love all kinds of funky foods
mmmmmmm fishy eggs in a tube! now, that's something I could eat now
:
If the caviar in a tube would get past customs I would send some to you. If you are anywhere near an IKEA they should have some caviar in a tube. Now you can get it with cheese added or with egg added.

Now Stockholm......it is a very beautiful city but also very dirty. Swedes have this great reputation but in general things here are pretty different. There are things I miss from home that I'm just never going to have here so that influences my judgement a bit. Red tape is much loved here, forms for everything! And daycare is fantastic and unbelievably cheap but there is the belief that once your child is one they should be in daycare. I received many odd looks because dd didn't start with her day mother until she was over two.

Stockholm....lovely place to visit but still iffy on living here.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Hi all! I was just thinking the other day how un-chatty we are as a group as compared to my last ddc with my son but it seems like we have been talking more the past few days!

The good: I am doing my yoga dvd like crazy and feeling pretty good these days. I am measuring a week ahead, something that has never happened before with me...so maybe I won't be two weeks late with this babe!

The bad: I ate horrid the past four days! We had to road trip to my grandmother's 90th birthday and we ate so much fast food, something I never eat. It was kind of pointless for us to go because I spent most of the party chasing my ds around the halls of the hotel...as you can imagine a 90th birthday party does not equal 2 year old friendly environment.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
The good: I have a window unit air conditioner in my room and living room. It is soooo hot here. My baby is getting big and kicking me a lot. I see the home stretch of this pregnacny getting more and more in my reach!! A wonderful mama here is giving me some newborn diapers she made, which will make it possible for me to cloth diaper this little one!!!!!!!!!!

The Bad: It's too hot for me to go outside for very long. I am huge and so tired.
My dd has been acting out a lot lately (very teenagerish attidude kicken, she's 9) and I just do not have the patience to deal right now but I'm doing my best. Money issues are weighing heavily on me right now, which just sucks.

I's so good to hear from all of you and may the good always out weigh the bad for us all!!!

Heather

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
The GOOD: My sacrum is feeling SOOOOOO much better since I've been doing chiropractor visits! This last week I got to go a whole week between adjustments, and it only started rotating again yesterday (it was really badly rotated when I went in today, but it wasn't hurting like it sometimes has).

Baby's doing great. I'll be 24 weeks this week - viable!
Over the weekend, he felt like he was going to FALL OUT, but now he seems to be feeling normal again. The lowness worries me a bit since I had PPROM at 29 weeks last time around, but I'm getting closer to the "safe" time to PPROM if it's going to happen again, and that does make me feel better.
Overall, I feel pretty good.

The BAD: Well, financial concern about how to pay for midwife *and* chiropractor (neither are covered by insurance... well... insurance pays $87.50 of the chiropractor, but that's a very small dent in what is needed until baby comes!). Although there are some potential job changes for DH that might help this out. Should find out this week! Anyway, I was worried about DH and the chiropractor issue because he's totally against chiropractice care, but he admitted that I "needed it", as I was in SOOOOOOO much pain before I started seeing her, and now I can walk!

·
Registered
205 Posts
BabyBumblebee.....yes my DP works in Alta....but he works for the oil industry!! Good money but he is never home so I told DP at the most 2 more years of this!! So we have to get most of our stuff paid off in the next 2 years because he won't make good money like he does now working somewhere else!

·
Registered
484 Posts
The GOOD: Have my CD stash ready. Making calendula baby oil. Reached viability.

The BAD: Gained 5 lbs in 3 days. It's hot, the kids are bored, and I'm tired. The dog keeps shedding and it looks horrible an hour after vacuuming. I'm frustrated that everything I do is undone immediately. Especially when it takes a lot of effort to do it in the first place.

The UGLY: I've been in a foul mood the last few days. I'm not being charitable or gracious in interactions. It's getting to be embarrassing. I need a muzzle for my tongue.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by papercranegirl
The dog keeps shedding and it looks horrible an hour after vacuuming. I'm frustrated that everything I do is undone immediately.
Oh, I hear ya on this one!!! I have 2 German Shedders
, and even after a bath and brushing about 10 pomeranians out of my male (who has a sheddier coat... yes, I'm making up words
), he is STILL shedding all over the place. Literally, within minutes, my blue carpets turn gray with undercoat. It just never ends! And this happens all year round! I swear, one hair falls out and 10 grow back in its place!
So I gave up on trying to keep up with vacuuming. Now I just vacuum once a week (when DS goes with his daddy to do manly errands on Saturday morning), and leave it at that. I vacuumed this past Saturday, and looking behind me, there are several tufts of hair on the floor already. If Bosco lays down, he leaves hair. We also have a Maine **** cat who leaves fine, white, belly hair everywhere. Oh well.

And the child's toys... HA. I wish I had the energy to pick them up at the end of the day, but I don't. He would happily help me too - he's a great helper. But I just don't want to bother! So that's also part of that once a week thing - I pick up the toys in the living room and vacuum. Within a few hours, the toys are all back out, and there's hair on the floor, but at least DH saw that it *was* clean.

·
Registered
912 Posts
this is a good thread... i have a lot going on that I really need to release, so starting with the bad....
my mil was very rude to me the other day, and when, the next day I confronted her and said that she'd hurt me she said that she had not intended to be rude and that she was only trying to help, and that therefore, in her opinion there was no reason to apologize!!! and as if that wasn't enough, she proceeded to tell me a bunch of horrendous things like that her son is better off without me, that I am the source of any of his unhappiness or stress in his life, and (when at one point I tried to tell her that she didn't know me very well) that she knows more about me than she wishes she did. I am so angry and upset, and my dd loves to hang out with my mil and fil but there's no way I really ever want to be around her now... and I really was hoping that my dh would be as appalled as I was, but he says that yes the things she said were rude and horrible, but that he doesn't want to get in the middle of anything, and that it is a difficult situation for him because she is still his mom.... and I can avoid her fairly well for the most part, except that on sunday we are having my dd's birthday party, and so I have to be in her presence..... ugggg. And to top that off, my dh and I have been fighting a lot... in general this pregnancy has been awful as far as our relationship goes, and it was improving for a while recently, but then we undertook this huge project of tiling our bathroom and getting a tub put in (we only had a shower before) and with the chaos and financial stress that has caused, in addition to this whole situation with his mother, we are like cats and dogs again, and so, not surprisingly, I am feeling very very down about things right now, and wishing that there will be some part of this pregnancy that will be joyous.....I am also starting to worry that if it doesn't start looking up that it could cause me to have a difficult labor.

So the good? I am swimming twice a week which feels great.... I wish I had the time to do it every day! And well, I guess that even with everything that is going on, I really am grateful for my family, for dh even when he drives me crazy... we do love each other, and that is more than some people have. oh, and though the bathroom project is a source of stress right now, it is looking beautiful, and will be wonderful when it is finished.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh Emily!
I would be so sad hearing all of that from her too! Well, I don't live near my MIL so I 'choose' to ignore much of 'them'....anyways...I just wanted to say that you are lucky to have your dh by your side and even tho most marriages aren't always 'rosy,' at least he isn't agreeing with his mom!

I learned something from psychology many many (embarrassing to mention exactly HOW many) years ago--no one can make you feel anything. People may say hurtful things, but the way you handle these words can make or break your happiness. Those did sound like very hurtful things--but turn it around and remember WHO is saying those things. Do you really think your DH is thinking that way? If he thought you weren't a 'good thing' in his life, you may not be IN HIS LIFE right now. His choice is to be WITH you...
What I"m trying to say is--don't let your MIL's words or even actions hurt you. CHOOSE to stay happy in this pregnancy (and in this life)...sometimes Happiness is a choice we make...Yes, we all can feel sad, and that is normal, but now pick yourself up and recognize your wonderful positives--don't let this person's words hurt you anymore.
Also...they are our MILs, and she may live close...but your DH has the right idea...you don't really have to deal with her if you don't want. There are consequences to everything...if she is saying hurtful things, maybe you don't want to be around her---you need to stay positive for your family--so maybe she doesn't get to come over to see the baby or her granddaughter. I know that sounds vengeful, and I don't mean it to...but the bottom line is WE need to do what is right for OUR family--we don't need to take anyone's feelings in consideration but our family's...and if that means excluding some family members for the comfort level and security of our own family, then so be it.
I only say this also because I have a MIL situation and I choose my family's health over her feelings...
I hope you can recognize some more positives today! You have MANY!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Hi ladies! Thanks for starting a new chat thread, Mrs_Hos!

I'll do the bad first - We've been having a lot of problems with one of the congregations my husband pastors. It's nothing new, really... they've been known to cause problems for the last few pastors they have. But in our denomination, pastor isn't a hire-and-fire position... it's a called position (hard to explain without writing a novel). I went to the grocery store last week while he was at a congregational meeting (I don't go to them anymore - I value my blood pressure staying low), only to be asked by one of the employees "So, where are you moving to?" Um... we're not moving. Came to find out the next week that people from the congregation had been trying to get his name on the call list... something that no one other than he can do. So we're digging in our heels for now (again) and he's going to keep trying to bring about some sort of resolution... this has been going on for about 3 years (as long as we've been here... and all but 2 months of our marriage).

A friend of mine though my journaling site was due the day before me (11/11) - and had her baby on Thursday due to pre-e. It was odd... I was starting to feel better about being in the "viable" group now, but this little one is the second 24 weeker of friends of mine and I've seen just how hard a fight it can be to hopefully bring a baby home. I'm just so thankful for every day that Zy stays put - and I'll try not to complain if s/he stays over 41 weeks like Robert did.

Only other "bad" - though not awful - was that my weight is up again at my prenatal today. 8 pounds in the last 8 weeks. It's not bad, really... but I started out this pregnancy lower than my son's pregnancy - though still quite over weight. I only gained about 18 pounds his whole pregnancy, and I'm up about 13 (I think) so far at 25 weeks. It's my own fault... must stop caving to chocolate and carbs!

The good - I still feel great, baby's doing great (though the "I'm sure it's a girl" heart rate of 160 has been slowly creeping down at each appointment - back to 140 where my son was the whole time). So now the suspense is back! I've been really tired, but I had my hemoglobin checked and it's great for me (12), and my thyroid is checked and normal... so I'm just pregnant and chasing a toddler =) Family life is good, friends are coming to stay with us in a few weeks, we have vacation planned to visit my in-laws (whom I LOVE), and this baby will be here sooner than it seems. All in all, the good out weighs the bad for me!

·
Registered
769 Posts
to all the November mamas!

The good for me is that my back is finally getting a lot better after I kicked myself in the pants and got to the chiropractor again. Also altho' I've been moody I haven't fallen into one of those black holes like I did a few weeks ago (<shuddering>... don't wanna go there again!). Also it's looking like my dh is going to get into the law school of his choice, with a possible 100% scholarship so I'm excited for him! They just as much told him he's in but I'm waiting anxiously for the official letter.

The bad.... $ is a bit tight and so I get a little antsy buying food (but I need to eat a ton) and baby stuff. I'd like to be set before 36 weeks so that leaves about 10 weeks or so...I'm just trying to hold off on getting anything more than what I have. It's a good lesson in INvoluntary simplicity I guess.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The Good: I'm starting to get some variety in my diet. And I'm doing a bit more physical activity.

I'm not craving sweets and Coke like I have been the last weeks. My local grocery store is my worst enemy because the first thing you see when you walk in is the pastry/cakes/goodies cases. Really really difficult to walk by when you are craving sweet stuff.

I'm really trying to keep an eye on sugars....I don't want to tempt the gestational diabetes monster. One more reason to get off my arse and do the pregnancy yoga.

The Bad: this is the last week of dh's summer vacation.

I also found out that I will have to go back to Nova Scotia to see a doctor since the defence has requested it. *background info: I'm suing the NS department of transportation for negligence* Evidently the defence is going to have to pay to get me there but it is a bit of confusion since it is the first time the plantiff has been in Europe. Waiting waiting waiting to hear back and it doesn't look like we will be able to afford a ticket for dd to come with me.
I really want to get this done before I have the baby so time is really running out.

I'm starting to freak out over how I look. To me I don't look 24 weeks pregnant. I still think I'm straddling the pregnant/fat line. Dh argues that I do look pregnant but I don't really trust him that much when it comes to this.

Still not doing the yoga.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
sunshine*girl - that's nuts that you have to travel back to see the dr without your dd. Why can't an overseas medic do the assessments necessary?(grrrrrrrrr)

Oh, and did your mom have any luck finding the Bravado styles you were looking for?

(went to Ikea yesterday, and treated myself to the caviar in a tube - BLISS!)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts